Who honestly has confidence in Mike Hopkins as the next HC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Who honestly has confidence in Mike Hopkins as the next HC

How much confidence do you have in Mike Hopkins as the next HC

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike might be 50 before he's handed the reins. Don't disagree with anything you said, but I imagine that's close to Esherick's age in 1997.

Everything Tom said is true, and I'd add that Mike's a very hard worker. Add all that up and he'll still need more to be a very successful coach.

Is he lucky?

What kind of institutional support will he get? Long leash after a 18-13 season?

Is he bold? Will he listen to voices around the periphery of the program? Does he recognize areas that need to be improved, and is he willing to make those changes? And does he know how?

I hope so. He's a good guy, would hate to see him flame out here.

I wasn't predicting how successful he would be, just that he's a much different personality from a much different era than Escherick or Guthridge.

Don't think it's really comparable.

FWIW guys like Coach K and Kobe have talked glowingly about Mike.

I fear Hopkins will be another Escherick, Guthridge, or the guy that succeeded Knight.

Esherick was put in that job as a placeholder until JT III could build enough credibility so that his installation as the GU coach wouldn't be outrageous.

Big John didn't care if he failed or not. In fact, for his purposes, Esherick's failure was convenient.

I wasn't predicting how successful he would be, just that he's a much different personality from a much different era than Escherick or Guthridge.

Don't think it's really comparable.

FWIW guys like Coach K and Kobe have talked glowingly about Mike.

I think so, too, but it's easier for us to be biased when we've watched him closely since he was 20 years old. He still seems like the young energetic guy who got floor burns. In my memory, Guthridge and Esherick seem like old men. Perhaps Hopkins will also be perceived that way by 16-year-olds who meet him for the first time; I really don't know.

Eh, this three game stretch is like Hopkins stretch last year. Maybe that wasn't all him!!! Imagine if JB had missed these three after that seemingly tremendous start. Lol

Anyway, he's our guy, we shall see what follows, but I would have heavily preferred he get head coaching experience prior to coming on board as HC... We are Syracuse, not some mid-level program.

I believe in Mike. He is the best recruiter Syracuse has ever had. He is smart, immensely likable, knows the college game extremely well and has everything needed to be a great head coach.
Just one question: does he still have his old VHS tapes from Mater Dei that teach m2m fundamentals?

Agree 110%... Big names would interview and be interested. Here is a sneaky name that will be a BIG commodity this summer when it comes to the coaching carousel. Scott Cross from UTA.
like I said... just beat Saint Mary's

I want to know what his thoughts are for the program. Are we running another 40 years of zone? Or does he plan on actually trying M2M?

I like Mike a lot but he does scare me: in game stint last year - supposed to be the motivator guy after Boeheim chews you out - that ain't working. If he keeps the same system - I have to say no. If he goes with something else then he should get a chance.

I like Mike a lot but he does scare me: in game stint last year - supposed to be the motivator guy after Boeheim chews you out - that ain't working. If he keeps the same system - I have to say no. If he goes with something else then he should get a chance.

Well, he held St Johns at bay better than JB did so there's that.

Reserving harsh judgement until I see him take over. Hard being confident right now though, very hard. It's a shame such a bright, smart guy is stuck in this situation though its partly of his own doing. Would've been potentially smarter to have taken a HC gig in 2013/2014 and came back after some success to take over for JB.

I pray we have a search. Whatever the president said I could careless- This team has major problems and while its completely unfair to blame Hopkins much at all, he is the main assistant coach under this debacle.

Eh, not much, but I have no clue what to expect. I just wish he had left to get some coaching experience. Without that I was and will forever be in the not-so-confident camp.

Hopkins is getting the job but I would say he needs to recruit PGs now.

Why we're not opening this up to a national search is beyond me. We're one of the top 20, if not top 15 most attractive college ball programs in the country.

Act like it instead of just settling for Hopkins, the girl next door just because you guys grew up together.

This is a tough question for me to answer. Personally, I have low confidence.

However, I've heard recently that his desired plan is to bring some pretty significant changes on both sides of the ball, which I find encouraging.

But given my druthers, I'd much rather see us go after elite caliber coaches to fill JB's iconic shoes when he retires. Since that doesn't appear likely, I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and hope that what I heard about Hop is true--because change is sorely needed.

This is a tough question for me to answer. Personally, I have low confidence.

However, I've heard recently that his desired plan is to bring some pretty significant changes on both sides of the ball, which I find encouraging.

But given my druthers, I'd much rather see us go after elite caliber coaches to fill JB's iconic shoes when he retires. Since that doesn't appear likely, I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and hope that what I heard about Hop is true--because change is sorely needed.
wait what do you mean that "his desired plan" is to bring significant changes? is Hopkins at odds with JB? because that might be positive news

I don't have any reason to believe he won't be a good coach. You know you can give him the job and if he doesn't do a good job move on from him. We do it at my work all the time. Also one thing I would say is that he interviewed for the USC job and it appears Enfield go the job but used Hops plan and even hired Bland and Hart which was Hops idea. They are trending in the right direction in my opinion. I think Hop is a good recruiter and when it's his team he could become a good coach.

Oh thank goodness. I was looking for my post and thinking please don't say he would suck he is in my town now and going to probably win coach of the year.

I was worried because of Boeheimz
Hopkins has shown he can take from. JB and be his own guy.

No worries, I wasn’t calling you out. This is just one thread. There’s a legit 10 more I could bump, but I don’t want to get banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom