Who honestly has confidence in Mike Hopkins as the next HC | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Who honestly has confidence in Mike Hopkins as the next HC

How much confidence do you have in Mike Hopkins as the next HC

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries, I wasn’t calling you out. This is just one thread. There’s a legit 10 more I could bump, but I don’t want to get banned.
I am glad I wasn’t really hard on Mike.
More worried about the program and asking for confidence in the guy.

Might be my favorite thread of all time
I have had opinions I have gotten wrong but I am not really embarrassed by this one. I was respectful of Hopkins getting the job but just wanted people to assure me was different and it turns out he was.

Glad you enjoyed this one. Once it went off rails I went down my
Champions League idea.

I have had opinions I have gotten wrong but I am not really embarrassed by this one. I was respectful of Hopkins getting the job but just wanted people to assure me was different and it turns out he was.

Champions League idea.
I wasn't signaling you out. It's just that I see so many people wishing Hop was the coach that just last year wanted him run out of town. And I can tell you that had an effect on Hopkins. He was really surprised at the fans reaction to the 4-5.

Champions League idea.
By the way, the thread isn't quite in the class of the guy who bought the love potion and wanted to know if he could sue to get his money back.

No worries, I wasn’t calling you out. This is just one thread. There’s a legit 10 more I could bump, but I don’t want to get banned.

Hack Igor's account to sign in with

Seriously...Hop...

giphy.gif.cf.gif

And I can tell you that had an effect on Hopkins. He was really surprised at the fans reaction to the 4-5.
This I don’t understand. Did he expect fans to just look the other way? It’s human nature to put a lot of stock in first impressions. Maybe he should’ve been more forthcoming at the time that he really was just trying to keep the ship on autopilot.

Now if he was receiving hate mail or death threats or the cashier at wegmans claimed his shoppers club card could no longer be accepted... then he’d have a legit gripe.

It continues to be interesting on how some of the usual suspects here repeatedly relish, especially in hindsight. Albeit, no more than Mike's short 9 game stint here proved much, either does his good start (again, I repeat start) at UW does either. Hopefully, his early success continues, and that it's relatively sustained over the next couple of years and beyond as it would certainly be well deserved. Only time will tell for certain.

Speaking for myself after those 9 games, I'll say it gave me some pause, and I came away with more of a hmmm, kind of thinking. I mean, he had no track record at all to show otherwise, so many drew conclusions from what they visibly saw for the first and only time...fair or not. I recall some of those games thinking that Mike appeared to be no more than a substitute teacher, as a few of those games it just appeared that he had no/little command, and the team was simply going through the motions. Whether that was a reflection on him, those particular players, or both...who knows, they all had a part in it. With all the love you hear players had/have for Hopkins, it was peculiar. But when JB came back, it was if it was a completely different team...one which turned it around and had that incredible run to Houston.

I don't think that the people who were more harsh on Hopkins wished him ill will, had an agenda, etc. Many were aware of his length of time here, how he was a great ambassador for SU and his love for it and the basketball program. Ultimately, fans love for SU comes first and foremost, before loyalty, etc., and people just want the program to be/remain highly successful. The fact is, Hopkins was an unproven commodity, that really is indisputable. If some of the reaction truly had an affect on him, well that comes from his thin skin due to the inexperience and insecurities of never being Top Dog at any program. He will certainly grow from it, especially now with the actual experience he is obtaining. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

What some of us (many actually) knew, was, we knew Hop. If you've ever met him, you knew instantaneously that he had something special.

Personally, there were things I knew he'd do well:
1) Connect with players
2) Recruit
3) Scout (he scouted our opponents and devised game plans for years)
4) Teach...because he connects with people and knows the game.
5) Gameplan

I had two reservations:
1) In-game decisions
2) Playing the role of bad cop

The former is still out, but it's trending the right way.

The latter I can't answer...but I do know it's easier to play bad cop with kids that haven't relied on you as the peacemaker. And because if that, I think he was smart leaving SU to establish himself. As much as it also disappoints me, because I don't think he's coming back.

I wasn't signaling you out. It's just that I see so many people wishing Hop was the coach that just last year wanted him run out of town. And I can tell you that had an effect on Hopkins. He was really surprised at the fans reaction to the 4-5.
This I don’t understand. Did he expect fans to just look the other way? It’s human nature to put a lot of stock in first impressions. Maybe he should’ve been more forthcoming at the time that he really was just trying to keep the ship on autopilot.

Now if he was receiving hate mail or death threats or the cashier at wegmans claimed his shoppers club card could no longer be accepted... then he’d have a legit gripe.
I also think a lot of the "backlash" (I don't recall all that much of it) came later on when Syracuse was on the bubble and it was used as a way to strengthen the team's resume. "You can't count those losses - Hopkins was coach and he was terrible!" Most of it was disingenuous for selfish reasons.

The latter I can't answer...but I do know it's easier to play bad cop with kids that haven't relied on you as the peacemaker. And because if that, I think he was smart leaving SU to establish himself. As much as it also disappoints me, because I don't think he's coming back.

Yeah it could have been hard here to make that transition. But a fresh start elsewhere, it’s probably irrelevant. He may not ever have to really be a bad cop.

I’m happy for him because he’s a great guy who deserves it.

But I’ll be honest, when I see all the energy he’s bringing to that program, I get a little bitter.

Hop is likely going to win coach of the year in the PAC-12. The team he inherited at UW was awful last year and had the #1 recruit in the country decommit and Hop is still having all this success! Happy for him. With that being said, we are stuck with an old curmudgeon who can't be any more miserable when dealing with players and the media. I'm sorry, but I really think it is time for JB to hang it up. Next year is a big year for him, he better not have missed on Bazely, Carey, Buddy, and even Hughes. Hughes is sitting on the bench all year and taking up a scholarship when there are 5 and 1/2 healthy scholarship players.

We made a huge mistake letting him leave. And I don’t think he’ll come back. Why would he? The fan base practically called him inept last year.

We made a huge mistake letting him leave. And I don’t think he’ll come back. Why would he? The fan base practically called him inept last year.
We? If the AD was following the situation close enough he would’ve recognized that Hop and JB had something really awkward going on. That’s where a competent leader steps in to protect his assets, tells JB to cut the horseshoes and secure a smooth transition strategy.

Not sure why the AD isn’t taking more heat for how this played out. This is dumpster fire bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom