Who is better than advertised? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who is better than advertised?

Mintz and Starling are better than they played last night.

Taylor Cuffe and Cope are all good players ready for big minutes. I'm high on McCleod. Browns servicable but I think we have better options.

Bell and Williams may fall out of the rotation completely or close to it when Westry returns.

I'd say Carey is way better than advertised. The way some of the board views him you would think he couldn't walk and chew gum, but he has much more skill and ability than Hima. I also think his energy could help us rebounding. Obviously strength is his biggest issue.
i think hed be the equivalent of a traffic cone on defense vs a power 5 frontline...but hopefully i am wrong

Brown is very good he was gimpy last night. Pokes the ball away, can guard all 4 spots, can score down low great hands.
I love Brown and what he brings to the court. I'm hoping this year we will see him able to hit a shot versus all dunks. Last night there were three shots he took that were awful - they were really weak, soft, push type shots that almost didn't even hit the rim. Hopefully that's just because he's not fully healthy because those weren't good.

I'd say Carey is way better than advertised. The way some of the board views him you would think he couldn't walk and chew gum, but he has much more skill and ability than Hima. I also think his energy could help us rebounding. Obviously strength is his biggest issue.
I really like Carey’s long-term upside. I don’t know how much of an impact he’ll have this season. But I believe he redshirted last year, so he’s basically a freshman. And big guys always take longer to develop. He could be really good by his Junior and senior years if he works hard, gets stronger and stays healthy. And hopefully he stays loyal to Cuse, like our coaches have been to him.

Taylor Cuffe and Cope are all good players ready for big minutes. I'm high on McCleod. Browns servicable but I think we have better options.

Bell and Williams may fall out of the rotation completely or close to it when Westry returns.
I think we need Bell and Williams outside shooting. Both of them will still play a lot.

I think we need Bell and Williams outside shooting. Both of them will still play a lot.
I'm in complete agreement. However, I think the tricky thing (esp with Bell, because if he's not making baskets, he's not usually doing anything else), when do they get sat down when they aren't producing? Last year, Bell got WAY too much run.

The giid news is that I don't think Red will keep him in as long as Boeheim did. Take last game for example, he shot like crap bugoat least was limited to 19 minutes. Under Jim, the number would have easily been in the low to mid 30's.

Last edited:
I'm in complete agreement. However, I think the tricky thing (esp with Bell, because if he's not making baskets, he's not usually doing anything else), when do they get sat down when they aren't producing? Last year, Bell got WAY too much run.

The giid news is that I don't think Red will keep him in as long as Boeheim did. Take last game for example, he shot like crap bugoat least was limited to 19 minutes. Under Jim, the number would have easily been in the low to mid 30's.

Bell averaged 20mpg last year and 19mpg in ACC play.

Bell averaged 20mpg last year and 19mpg in ACC play.
Really? Huh, well count me wrong on that take. I would still stay he got too many minutes based on production, but man, I thought it was so much more.

JJ appears to be a steadying, non-emotional team leader-type. He has a nice mid-range shot that just hasn't been falling. Judah turned into Tyus Battle, taking everything on his own. I hate when we have guys auditioning for the NBA. Cuffe has a great upside - he's surprisingly athletic. McLeod is not our typical big man. He doesn't foul, doesn't clank his free throws, seldom brings the ball down and can catch. He's going to be good. I liked Bell's effort (after the first exhibition game). He's learning. Q is one of the spazziest guards I've seen. ACC guys are going to eat him alive. However, against UNH, if he wasn't the rebounding machine he was we may have been in real trouble.
Two major factors to winning:
JT needs to look for his shot and his teammates need to set him up better. If Mintz and Starling don't figure out a way to run the team properly, we won't win 20 games.

I posted this a while back and it was hidden in a different thread... but there should be nothing surprising about Cuffe's atheleticism from this point on. They were definitely inferring that he is a FREAK.

not sure why it looks like that but here is the snip of my post
red.jpg

Copeland is my Stevie Thompson...super glue guy... his shot might even be better.

Cuffe, I hope hasnt fully healed. He looks a little soft but we know he is an amazing athlete. Hope he just gets better and better as his body gets back at it.

Our centers are huge but defense outside of taking up space and maybe making guys shoot a little higher hasnt shown much deterrence. Carey has good hands - can he turn into a solid contributor like Forth in a year or two?

JJ/Mintz: show me some passing please. I feel we will be often frustrated with these two until they can get the others involved and it isnt slash and free throws. We will have a lot more trips to the beer fridge with all the FT coming this year.

Bell: I always root for this kid. I like how he carries himself out there and hope he develops confidence.

Obviously it's EXTREMELY early and a lot will change. However, what guys so far seem better than last year or for the transfers - better than you expected? I'm including the two exhibition games as well.

For me, on the positive side:

- Cuffe: he has shown to be better than I expected. I really like what he does on the court. Very good player.
- Taylor: I really like JT's game as well. Not sure if he looks better than last year, but is a really solid player all around.

No better than last year or less than I expected:

- Judah: looks a lot like early last year Judah so far. Last night Devo pointed out two of the biggest issues... 1) lack of consistent effort on D; 2) not looking for other players enough
- JJ: his outside shooting is much worse than I expected. He looks like an explosive player but 3-13 from the field last night? Oh my. Just not a shot that looks very good.
- Copeland: exciting player and love his energy and size. However, seems very limited in what he can do with no outside shot.
- McLeod: I'd actually put him in the middle. I wasn't expecting all that much from him so for me, he's doing about what I figured he would do early on.
- Benny: big negative so far (for obvious reasons)
- Brown: looks the same.
- Bell: worse? Chris is supposed to be our sharp shooter from the outside.

Even with some improvements (which are likely to happen) with guys like Judah, JJ maybe, and Bell... I'm worried about this team even if Benny comes back and plays well. Our inability to drain 3s at a reasonable clip is likely going to be a problem.
I think JJ is good enough to in Duke or UNC. We are lucky to have him.

Except for Taylor, we have no consistent 3PT shooter.

We're lucky to have Judah but he's slightly all about himself. Tonight was a career night for him with 26 PTS and we needed all of those free throws he made. He did not quit, 100% the entire game IMO. IT would be nice if someone was consistent with the 3 ball.

Copeland

Taylor

Bell

Brown

Williams is ruining his chances to play ball at SU.

Last edited:
no damn way. I'm thrilled to have him and think he will be a significant contributor but come on.

Of course everyone wanted him out of HS. I'm talking now. He wouldn't start for Duke or UNC this year, please.

Of course everyone wanted him out of HS. I'm talking now. He wouldn't start for Duke or UNC this year, please.
I did not say he would start for Duke or UNC. I said he could be in their squad.

Cuffe, Copeland and Taylor.

JJ Cuffe Cope Mc and Carey are all going to improve as the season goes on. JJ if he can find his jumper is probably our best all around player. Yes better than Judah.
Cuffe shows why he was coveted by everyone coming out of HS. Personally i think his upside is Huge. Our two bigs are talented and both are just getting started. This team is raw and they will take time as will Red.
We are weak at forward. Benny and Bell are our two true forwards. Cope and Taylor are big guards. If either one of Benny or Bell improve we have a solid team. Without one of them stepping up we will struggle against the better teams we play.

I did not say he would start for Duke or UNC. I said he could be in their squad.
That's not what you said, but fair enough. Not sure what that really means anyway. A lot of guys could sit on Duke's bench.

Obviously it's EXTREMELY early and a lot will change. However, what guys so far seem better than last year or for the transfers - better than you expected? I'm including the two exhibition games as well.

For me, on the positive side:

- Cuffe: he has shown to be better than I expected. I really like what he does on the court. Very good player.
- Taylor: I really like JT's game as well. Not sure if he looks better than last year, but is a really solid player all around.

No better than last year or less than I expected:

- Judah: looks a lot like early last year Judah so far. Last night Devo pointed out two of the biggest issues... 1) lack of consistent effort on D; 2) not looking for other players enough
- JJ: his outside shooting is much worse than I expected. He looks like an explosive player but 3-13 from the field last night? Oh my. Just not a shot that looks very good.
- Copeland: exciting player and love his energy and size. However, seems very limited in what he can do with no outside shot.
- McLeod: I'd actually put him in the middle. I wasn't expecting all that much from him so for me, he's doing about what I figured he would do early on.
- Benny: big negative so far (for obvious reasons)
- Brown: looks the same.
- Bell: worse? Chris is supposed to be our sharp shooter from the outside.

Even with some improvements (which are likely to happen) with guys like Judah, JJ maybe, and Bell... I'm worried about this team even if Benny comes back and plays well. Our inability to drain 3s at a reasonable clip is likely going to be a problem.
Shooters look good when buckets fall. For the most part his shot has looked nice. I was thrilled to see him sky over a defender for a put back last game. Hopefully he gets hot by Hawaii.

Shooters look good when buckets fall. For the most part his shot has looked nice. I was thrilled to see him sky over a defender for a put back last game. Hopefully he gets hot by Hawaii.
Are you referring to JJ? If so, we can agree to disagree. I think his shooting form is not good except for layups.

JJ Cuffe Cope Mc and Carey are all going to improve as the season goes on. JJ if he can find his jumper is probably our best all around player. Yes better than Judah.
Cuffe shows why he was coveted by everyone coming out of HS. Personally i think his upside is Huge. Our two bigs are talented and both are just getting started. This team is raw and they will take time as will Red.
We are weak at forward. Benny and Bell are our two true forwards. Cope and Taylor are big guards. If either one of Benny or Bell improve we have a solid team. Without one of them stepping up we will struggle against the better teams we play.
Don’t see red giving Carey meaningful minutes to improve this year, unfortunately

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom