Who replaces Boston College? | Syracusefan.com

Who replaces Boston College?

Alcuse01

Scout Team
Since we're moving to the ACC and likely going to be playing BC every year (divisions or no divisions) has there been any talk who may replace the BC series?

Would we replace that with a "wvu" or former rivalry year in year out (like we plan to with bball)?
Are we looking for a new occ team each year
or would we no longer need that game due to our new schedule? (and we're now wait and see)

Since we're moving to the ACC and likely going to be playing BC every year (divisions or no divisions) has there been any talk who may replace the BC series?

Would we replace that with a "wvu" or former rivalry year in year out (like we plan to with bball)?
Are we looking for a new occ team each year
or would we no longer need that game due to our new schedule? (and we're now wait and see)

Penn State! Marrone wants a long-term series with them.

Depends on how many conference games the ACC goes to, I suppose. If we end up with a 9-game schedule, we'd be in good shape. Fill up the remaining 3 with D-1AA, MAC, and a WV/Penn St type. Also like to see us get some SEC teams down south, especially Georgia, in that big OOC slot.

I wonder if we'd end up with an 8-game conference schedule if ND joined, so they'd have room to play their preferred historical rivals.

I would like to see

1- 1AA preferably Colgate, Georgetown, or other NE school
1- Non threatening non BCS team preferably Temple, UB, Army, Navy, Memphis, Tulane, or Rice
1- BCS team preferably rotating between the other 4 BCS conf so we get trips to P12 country, B1G country, B12 country, and SEC country.

Penn State! Marrone wants a long-term series with them.

Can you imagine a schedule that could include Fl St/Miami, VTech, Penn St., Pitt and BC every year?

It's gotta depend on how many ACC games we'll play, and who we're playing in terms of divisions. Sure it'd be great to get PSU on the schedule regularly, play WVU, play ND, etc., but (1) we can't overschedule, that may have kept us from having a 10+ win, top 10 type year during the McNabb era, and (2) I presume we'd like to have some degree of variety for the 1 big OOC game each year.

Our ACC schedule is going to be significantly more compelling that what we've seen in the BE over the past 7 years, so I agree that the 3-game OOC model should be one 1-AA, one MAC/CUSA/BE, and one B10/SEC/B12. Don't forget, if we get back to the stature we had in the late 80s/90s, TV is going to want us playing 1 attractive OOC game each year, not just playing WVU all the time.

It's gotta depend on how many ACC games we'll play, and who we're playing in terms of divisions. Sure it'd be great to get PSU on the schedule regularly, play WVU, play ND, etc., but (1) we can't overschedule, that may have kept us from having a 10+ win, top 10 type year during the McNabb era, and (2) I presume we'd like to have some degree of variety for the 1 big OOC game each year.

Our ACC schedule is going to be significantly more compelling that what we've seen in the BE over the past 7 years, so I agree that the 3-game OOC model should be one 1-AA, one MAC/CUSA/BE, and one B10/SEC/B12. Don't forget, if we get back to the stature we had in the late 80s/90s, TV is going to want us playing 1 attractive OOC game each year, not just playing WVU all the time.
I agree that sounds like a reasonable OOC schedule for an ACC member. I keep reading that people want to do a 10 game conference schedule for football.

If that happens, we will have to cancel a bunch of games already scheduled and we go from one extreme (needing to achedule 5 OOC games annually) to the other (just 2 a year).

I hope we are able to continue our planned but never implemented setup where the BC game is played on Thanksgiving weekend each year.

I keep reading that people want to do a 10 game conference schedule for football.
I really doubt that will happen. Too incestuous, not enough room for interesting OOC play. You will never get ND into the conference if you tell them they can only play 2 OOC games a year.

I would like to see

1- Non threatening non BCS team preferably Temple, UB, Army, Navy, Memphis, Tulane, or Rice
1- BCS team preferably rotating between the other 4 BCS conf so we get trips to P12 country, B1G country, B12 country, and SEC country.

I like the idea of colgate or army particularly for the NY advertising angle (also the renewed rivalry for colgate / and competing regularly with a service academy for army) and neither would create a situation where we overschedule top teams like adding Penn State would

Here's your answer: What puts more fannies in the seats -- maintained rivalries with long-time foes such as WVU/PSU/RU or bringing in big name programs from across the country (e.g. Michigan, Tennessee, OSU during the 1990s)?

I really doubt that will happen. Too incestuous, not enough room for interesting OOC play. You will never get ND into the conference if you tell them they can only play 2 OOC games a year.

The opposite is true. If everyone goes 10 games how in the hell is ND going to play 12 games? Also 10 games keeps the non BCS teams out of the game. Boise will be looked down on this year because they only play UGA OOC. Well with 10 conf games they wouldn't even have UGA on their OOC schedule.

If everyone agreed to stop playing 1AA teams it would be better playing 10 conf games and 2 OOC than playing 8-9, 2-3 OOC and a 1AA. There would still be room for 1 OOC BCS game for everyone. The 12th game can be a 2-1 series with a non BCS cupcake. That allows everyone to have 6 H and 6 A five out of six seasons. Then 7 H and 5 A that other season.

I would like to see

Pretty much spot on as I expect we'll see a 5/4 conference schedule split...but remember Patriot League Schools are non counters (scholie levels too low)...going to have to play a CAA teams. I'd stick with mainly CAA teams since they are close enough that some may actually travel a few hundred fans and will provide some decent competition.

For the BCS team: I see every other year a big time opponent at MetLife. The out years we should fill with the away portion of that big name school or another home and home series with a mid level BCS school.

And of course we need to try the best we can to swing 2 for 1s, 3 for 2s with some lower level 1As but realistically expect 1 for 1s with Army, Navy, and schools like ECU.

9 game ACC schedule, 1 game versus 1AA, one Mac team, and one national team, SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, or Big 12. I want to play UCLA

9 game ACC schedule, 1 game versus 1AA, one Mac team, and one national team, SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, or Big 12. I want to play UCLA

I agree...rather play Army and Navy but playing Akron, Kent State, Ohio and Toledo should get us 2 for 1s.

I'd contact Akron or Buffalo right now...and ask for a 4H/2A, 6-game series.

nobody will.

in order to keep things fresh after a 9 game ACC season, they will have to rotate ooc foes.

those Giants Stadium games will stay on the schedule, so i hope all you cnyers get a panty unbunching machine, because all you will see in some years outside of the ACC is colgate and buffalo.

:eek:

I agree...rather play Army and Navy but playing Akron, Kent State, Ohio and Toledo should get us 2 for 1s.

Navy would be good too because the flex bone would be nice exposure for years when we play GT as well, wish will be Navy on coke at that point

You dont need a 1aa every year. If you put WVU/PSU plus another elite SEC Big10 Big12 team then go ahead and schedule a 1aa but most years id go with a combo of WVU/PSU, Rut/uconn/navy, and a MAC.

It is possible that with a 10-game conference schedule, the BCS conferences will petition (read: force) the NCAA to allow 13 regular season games. That would allow for a 10-game conference season and a 3-game OOC schedule.

I'd contact Akron or Buffalo right now...and ask for a 4H/2A, 6-game series.
Amen. There is no need to do OOC games with ECU when you have Buffalo right next door, who will give up home games for us. It's a no brainer. And no more lower-level teams west of pittsburgh. There are plenty of low 1-A's in the north east that we can beat up on.

Amen. There is no need to do OOC games with ECU when you have Buffalo right next door, who will give up home games for us. It's a no brainer. And no more lower-level teams west of pittsburgh. There are plenty of low 1-A's in the north east that we can beat up on.

If you play no Ohio MAC teams, it will make it harder to recruit that state. We are already losing Cincy. I wouldn't want to abandon Ohio.

It is possible that with a 10-game conference schedule, the BCS conferences will petition (read: force) the NCAA to allow 13 regular season games. That would allow for a 10-game conference season and a 3-game OOC schedule.
Very possible. Likely even. I think the future of BCS college football is going to feature 10 game conference schedules and 13 game regular season schedules. It is all about money.

I would like to see

Colgate and Georgetown wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility. An FCS team has to have at least 56 schollys to count. The ONLY FCS team in NY that qualifies is Stony Brook...although Fordham is working towards 63 scholarships...not sure if they're there yet. Rhode Island is dropping to 40 schollys, so they won't count either. The only other schools in the Northeast that count are Maine and New Hampshire. No Patriot, NEC, or Pioneer teams count.

And SU may have difficulty getting a 2-for-1 with Buffalo. Buffalo has been fairly successful lately at getting even series with other FBS teams. UB has gotten even series with Pitt, UConn, BC, UCF and Baylor. And when they don't get an even series, they get a big cash game. SU can't pay what SEC teams can pay.

I'd like to see SU play in the Meadowlands the years they have five home conference games. And if SU ends up in the division Georgia Tech is NOT in, SU should schedule Navy or Army the years they have to play Georgia Tech.

Colgate and Georgetown wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility. An FCS team has to have at least 56 schollys to count. The ONLY FCS team in NY that qualifies is Stony Brook...although Fordham is working towards 63 scholarships...not sure if they're there yet. Rhode Island is dropping to 40 schollys, so they won't count either. The only other schools in the Northeast that count are Maine and New Hampshire. No Patriot, NEC, or Pioneer teams count.

And SU may have difficulty getting a 2-for-1 with Buffalo. Buffalo has been fairly successful lately at getting even series with other FBS teams. UB has gotten even series with Pitt, UConn, BC, UCF and Baylor. And when they don't get an even series, they get a big cash game. SU can't pay what SEC teams can pay.

I'd like to see SU play in the Meadowlands the years they have five home conference games. And if SU ends up in the division Georgia Tech is NOT in, SU should schedule Navy or Army the years they have to play Georgia Tech.

Did not know that. That means last year we were not Bowl eligible until after beating RU. I woulda been nervous as hell if I knew that.

If UB insists on a 1-1 then to hell with them. We will just play someone else from the MAC.

The MAC schools won't get as many 1 for 1s now as the Big Boys are moving to less OOC games...supply and demand.

Buffalo IMHO would agree to a 2 for 1...we fill their stadium like no other team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom