Who replaces Boston College? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who replaces Boston College?

Did not know that. That means last year we were not Bowl eligible until after beating RU.
Actually, we were. As a 'full' FCS school, URI counted for us. Patriot league members, although technically FCS, don't provide the number of scholarships allowed under FCS rules. I believe for an FCS game to count for an FBS school, the FCS school has to provide the maximum-allowed schollies.

Actually, we were. As a 'full' FCS school, URI counted for us. Patriot league members, although technically FCS, don't provide the number of scholarships allowed under FCS rules. I believe for an FCS game to count for an FBS school, the FCS school has to provide the maximum-allowed schollies.

How? Pre RU W we were a 6 W team. If Colgate didn't count then we were a 5 W team for Bowl purposes going in. Had we lost to RU we woulda been 5-6 instead of 6-5 to end the year. Meaning no Bowl.

I hope that TGD and DM know about this rule. No reason to ever schedule a 1AA who doesn't have 57 schollies.

How? Pre RU W we were a 6 W team. If Colgate didn't count then we were a 5 W team for Bowl purposes going in. Had we lost to RU we woulda been 5-6 instead of 6-5 to end the year. Meaning no Bowl.

I hope that TGD and DM know about this rule. No reason to ever schedule a 1AA who doesn't have 57 schollies.
Sorry - misread your post. I saw RU and it registered as URI. Got confused between last year and this year. Head imploded. The point is, Georgetown would not count, URI would.

I think.:D

I knew that rule...they knew that rule...the 2 1-AAs last year were a worst case scenario. Colgate didn't count for us.

I knew that rule...they knew that rule...the 2 1-AAs last year were a worst case scenario. Colgate didn't count for us.

Then it was dumb to CXL the VT game. That shoulda been worst case not Colgate.

Are you serious that you didn't know this? We spent tons of time talking about how we needed 7 wins last year to be bowl eligible, not 6. We schedule the 'gate because we backed out of a series with VaTech. Kind of ironical, looking back.

Then it was dumb to CXL the VT game. That shoulda been worst case not Colgate.
I'm pretty sure it was due to VT wanting to play Boise...IIRC
Shiit happens but we came out okay when we won 7 games after the Ruttie game (which meant 6 countable games). It got us the Pinstripe Bowl...a perfect scenario for us.

I'm not buying that SU backed out of playing VT. VT announced they were playing Boise only a couple days later while SU couldn't find a suitable opponent.

Very possible. Likely even. I think the future of BCS college football is going to feature 10 game conference schedules and 13 game regular season schedules. It is all about money.

Yep, it dawned on me a couple weeks back that we're likely headed to a 13 game regular season.

Conferences want to keep adding "inventory" to continue to increase their media value. Adding another week of conference games sure would do that, but they aren't going to want to sacrifice the money they make from having a creampuff OOC home opponent and an attractive OOC opponent on their schedules.

So we'll go to 13 someday soon. Curiously we'll still hear from the NCAA about how a playoff can't happen because of all the time an extra game or two will take away from the studies of 4 participating schools. :bat:

I'm not buying that SU backed out of playing VT. VT announced they were playing Boise only a couple days later while SU couldn't find a suitable opponent.

That's exactly why I doubted what was reported as well. We supposedly backed out of the VT series on Tuesday July 21 (according to a VT source) and then on Thursday July 23 there is an article on syracuse.com saying it's confirmed (they had heard the rumor, contacted the SU AD office, and then wrote a piece backing up the original report implying we backed out) but the VT-Boise game is announced that same day.

In the meantime, we scrambled and wound up with another 1-AA opponent. Makes no sense whatsoever that we were the ones who backed out, but all the reports say we did.

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/07/reports_syracuse_backs_out_of.html

Cheers,
Neil

Yep, it dawned on me a couple weeks back that we're likely headed to a 13 game regular season.
Something will have to give. They'll have to start a week sooner or push further into December, because you can't cut out the bye weeks and still keep a team of college kids healthy and playing top notch football. Hopefully we'll get to the point where there are no bowls until after Christmas, if it comes to that.

those Giants Stadium games will stay on the schedule, so i hope all you cnyers get a panty unbunching machine, because all you will see in some years outside of the ACC is colgate and buffalo.

:eek:

and then when the attendance nose dives even more, people can complain even more about the locals.

Something will have to give. They'll have to start a week sooner or push further into December, because you can't cut out the bye weeks and still keep a team of college kids healthy and playing top notch football. Hopefully we'll get to the point where there are no bowls until after Christmas, if it comes to that.

Had the mega-conferences come about, I've heard rumor of a proposed plan that called for the elimination of one of the bye weeks to get in a 13th game by Thanksgiving Weekend, conference semi-final games (the equivalent of a Sweet 16 if there were a legitimate championship) in the week conference championship games occur now, and a conference championship game (the equivalent of an Elite 8) two weeks later (which would place it just after finals at most institutions, approximately a week before Christmas).

Then the traditional January 1 Bowl games that would include these top 4 conference champions as the the two key match-ups of what is the traditional BCS Bowl week with an NC match-up two weeks later.

But there are logistical problems with such a set-up, the main one being how do fans know which games to buy tickets for? can the same fanbase realisticly buy tickets for 4 possible games in a month and a half? etc.

Cheers,
Neil

That's exactly why I doubted what was reported as well. We supposedly backed out of the VT series on Tuesday July 21 (according to a VT source) and then on Thursday July 23 there is an article on syracuse.com saying it's confirmed (they had heard the rumor, contacted the SU AD office, and then wrote a piece backing up the original report implying we backed out) but the VT-Boise game is announced that same day.

In the meantime, we scrambled and wound up with another 1-AA opponent. Makes no sense whatsoever that we were the ones who backed out, but all the reports say we did.

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/07/reports_syracuse_backs_out_of.html

Cheers,
Neil

If memory serves, SU wanted to reschedule the 2011 game at Blacksburg (because they didn't want road games against Va Tech and USC the same season).

Va Tech refused to move the 2011 game, so both sides mutually agreed to scrap the series.

nobody will.

in order to keep things fresh after a 9 game ACC season, they will have to rotate ooc foes.

those Giants Stadium games will stay on the schedule, so i hope all you cnyers get a panty unbunching machine, because all you will see in some years outside of the ACC is colgate and buffalo.

:eek:

--------------------

If 9 ACC games, like to see one high profile game: hopefully home, home, Meadowlands;
home and home against RU and UConn in alternate years;
and home and home against team like Army or Navy or Northwestern or if necessary an opening game warm-up team..

Cheers,
Neil

I believe we backed out because SU said we did. Don't know why they would say that if VT had backed out.

and then when the attendance nose dives even more, people can complain even more about the locals.
im just pointing out the facts.

you want a 1aa and a mac and a big timer????

well then get ready for the big timer being 1x every few years and the others either away or at Giants Stadium.

just be happy that either bc or pitt, and 2 of either vpi, miami, fsu and clemson are showing up in the Dome.

throw in either va or mary. or unc. or a guaranteed win against dook.

i guess wake showin up is like temple, but whatever.

thats pretty damn good if you ask me.

--------------------

If 9 ACC games, like to see one high profile game: hopefully home, home, Meadowlands;
home and home against RU and UConn in alternate years;
and home and home against team like Army or Navy or Northwestern.

^Seems like that's the most logical solution. I'd like to see some home-and-home series with teams like Texas, USC, Florida, etc, but could get far too daunting if we have to face Clemson, VT, FSU every year. Probably not the best scenario for TV ratings, but wouldn't mind WVU being our "big" OOC game every season.

im just pointing out the facts.

you want a 1aa and a mac and a big timer????

well then get ready for the big timer being 1x every few years and the others either away or at Giants Stadium.

just be happy that either bc or pitt, and 2 of either vpi, miami, fsu and clemson are showing up in the Dome.

throw in either va or mary. or unc. or a guaranteed win against dook.

i guess wake showin up is like temple, but whatever.

thats pretty damn good if you ask me.

at first it will be cool to have the vt's back in the dome. but over time, conference games against anyone, don't comapre to a big ooc at home.

at first it will be cool to have the vt's back in the dome. but over time, conference games against anyone, don't comapre to a big ooc at home.

Huh? Miami, VaTech, WVU and BC were all consistently drawing 47K+ back in the late 90s.

Disagree. You've still got your Big East helmet on. We aren't going to have these horrible conference foes like Rutgers, Uconn, or USF marching into the Dome anymore. The only 2 BE games that at all got my blood racing were Pitt and WVU. We're going to have many more of these when we get into our new digs in the ACC. Give me a conference rivalry game any day of the week over a big non-conference game.

Huh? Miami, VaTech, WVU and BC were all consistently drawing 47K+ back in the late 90s.

Every game drew well when we were averaging 47-49k per game. But even then, the FSU's, Florida's, Penn St's and MSU's were still drawing the biggest crowds. Plus, Miami isn't Miami and BC sucks now. Put a big OOC game in the Dome and it will outdraw all the conference games.

^Seems like that's the most logical solution. I'd like to see some home-and-home series with teams like Texas, USC, Florida, etc, but could get far too daunting if we have to face Clemson, VT, FSU every year. Probably not the best scenario for TV ratings, but wouldn't mind WVU being our "big" OOC game every season.

------------------

The "big" OOC game is likely to be tied into the Meadowlands game, again hopefully home, home, Meadowlands, now that SU is in a scheduling position of strength. If SU continues to improve and play competitive football under coach DM, I would think any team in the country would like to play in the Meadowlands against an ACC SU.

If the 11th game is home and home, RU and UConn offer a relatively easy travel opportunity for many SU fans. I don't see WVU as a great travel destination or recruiting destination and there will hopefully be a lot of good ACC teams that offer good football comparable to WVU.

------------------

The "big" OOC game is likely to be tied into the Meadowlands game, again hopefully home, home, Meadowlands, now that SU is in a scheduling position of strength. If SU continues to improve and play competitive football under coach DM, I would think any team in the country would like to play in the Meadowlands against an ACC SU.

Our deal with Penn State is a 3-way. They'll have to make a trip to the Dome at some point.

Hopefully the rest of the Meadowlands games are also 3-ways.

Every game drew well when we were averaging 47-49k per game. But even then, the FSU's, Florida's, Penn St's and MSU's were still drawing the biggest crowds. Plus, Miami isn't Miami and BC sucks now. Put a big OOC game in the Dome and it will outdraw all the conference games.
and 1x every 2 or 3 years when SU brings in a michigan or tennessee or so...it will rule!!

the other 2 or 3 years the biggies will be played at Giants Stadium.

get your ACC hate on and enjoy army!!!

:eek: :cool:

Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors