Who still hates the Zone? | Syracusefan.com

Who still hates the Zone?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Not me. We are up to 34th in adj defensive efficiency after the last two games and we just held the number 4 offensive team in the country to 62. Their freshman Kennard was scared to shoot in the second half. We are a great defensive team once again!

Not me. We are up to 34th in adj defensive efficiency after the last two games and we just held the number 4 offensive team in the country to 62. Their freshman Kennard was scared to shoot in the second half. We are a great defensive team once again!

The zone we've seen in the last couple games has been outstanding. Closing out on shooters very well. Tonight's game would have been interesting with Jefferson, because he could be that guy at the foul line who absolutely dissects the zone. But it's been outstanding against smaller 3-point shooting teams the last couple nights.

Ha, nice. Was gonna start my own thread on this.
Seriously, haters, was it despite the 2-3 we held an 85-pt-per-game team to 62? And JB should have switched to m2m, right? And a Duke team is tailor-made to shred the tavern-league, right?
:rolling:

There are always going to be times where I think we COULD employ a secondary defense, or at least try to switch up the defense. I think mainly against bad teams is where we need to have the capacity to trot it out though. Against better teams, who have lots of capable ballhandlers, it's a huge weapon.

Against crap teams, sometimes it lets them dictate the pace of the game to us and stay in late enough to make it come down to who can hit shots at the end. Overall, never had an issue with the zone as our primary defense.

I think people tend to (un)intentionally misstate the argument against the zone.

the defense has always been pretty good. It was the rebounding out of the zone that was the huge issue. And roberson took that over single handily today.

But as far as tonight is concerned, how many wide open 3's did duke miss today? 10? Some of it was luck over superb defense. Im certainly not complaining about the D tonight, but it wasn't fantastic by any stretch.

They missed a lot of open threes. I felt for a while our defense was just collapse on a weak penetration and then hope they miss the open three on the kick out but hey, it worked. M2M gives up open threes too so I'll swallow my zone comments for tonight. ;)

I've never hated the zone, but I'm watching the SU-vs-Duke game from 1989 with man-to-man defense, all kinds of fast breaking, and all that NBA talent on the floor, and man is it fun to watch.

the defense has always been pretty good. It was the rebounding out of the zone that was the huge issue. And roberson took that over single handily today.

But as far as tonight is concerned, how many wide open 3's did duke miss today? 10? Some of it was luck over superb defense. Im certainly not complaining about the D tonight, but it wasn't fantastic by any stretch.

That lefty kid, Kennard I think, was 0 for tonight. I'll take it, regardless of whether it was fear of the zone or a case of the runs before the game.

There are always going to be times where I think we COULD employ a secondary defense, or at least try to switch up the defense. I think mainly against bad teams is where we need to have the capacity to trot it out though. Against better teams, who have lots of capable ballhandlers, it's a huge weapon.

Against crap teams, sometimes it lets them dictate the pace of the game to us and stay in late enough to make it come down to who can hit shots at the end. Overall, never had an issue with the zone as our primary defense.

I think people tend to (un)intentionally misstate the argument against the zone.

Yeah. I always thought that was common sense. But if it isn't to some others - great post.

I don't hate the zone. I hate sitting in the zone when it's getting eaten alive by inferior players.

See: John's, st's.

Maybe. They hit some crazy shots. I think it helps Roberson
and Cooney look like completely different players now than they did in early December.

That lefty kid, Kennard I think, was 0 for tonight. I'll take it, regardless of whether it was fear of the zone or a case of the runs before the game.

Yeah whatever it was, I'll take it. But most of his 3's were the open 1's, so its hard to tell if it was the D or just not his night.

Maybe. They hit some crazy shots. I think it helps Roberson
and Cooney look like completely different players now than they did in early December.

St JOhns dominated us for just about the entire game.

and it certainly helps that Roberson is now a beast and COoney is hitting his 3s - but for the love of god - we are talking about trying to win single games when complaining about the zone NOT GOING TO A M2M ALL SEASON. And St Johns was 1 obvious game to get out of the zone when a H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E team was beating us by double digits.

STEVEHOLT said:
you do realize you posting this after a win is as asinine as the zone bashers posting reactively after one bad loss.

Except he gets to post this after 75% of the games and the others after 25%.

So, yeah, there's a difference.

(we were 10-7 through 4 games of ACC and cupcake season)

and needless to say we consider ourselves an "elite" program. a 21-10 season is AWFUL.

How do you know we aren't undefeated if we only played man?

Trick question- no one knows. :)

St JOhns dominated us for just about the entire game.

and it certainly helps that Roberson is now a beast and COoney is hitting his 3s - but for the love of god - we are talking about trying to win single games when complaining about the zone NOT GOING TO A M2M ALL SEASON. And St Johns was 1 obvious game to get out of the zone when a H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E team was beating us by double digits.

I think part of the argument against Wiscy and St. Johns as well was that both teams came in with reps as having huge problems with any kind of ball pressure. Which for Wiscy may not be true, since they beat Michigan State, typically a good M2M team (and I only watched them a couple times, the MD game etc...and they didn't seem that bad against ball pressure), but St. Johns in the other games I have seen them seem to legitimately struggle with any kind of pressure defense.

Maybe we get destroyed either way though....can't know that. :)

(we were 10-7 through 4 games of ACC and cupcake season)
mkay, yah, and all 7 of those losses were just horrible weren't they? and we hadn't done anything good prior to the slide, had we? :rolleyes:

That's exactly how I feel. Lots of luck combined with vastly improved defensive rebounding. It seemed like they still had whatever shot they wanted on the perimeter - all game long - and I thought for sure they would start heating up. Let's face it - we caught them on an off night when they were starting to feel the pressure of recent losses. They are a good shooting team and we let them have plenty of catch-and-shoot opportunities. Had they shot closer to their average they would've covered the spread. The OP is just click bait material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom