Why a Duck? | Syracusefan.com

Why a Duck?

SWC75

Bored Historian
This week's Sports Illustrated has a picture spread on Oregon's Hatfield-Dowlin Complex, paid for by Phil Knight. It's 145,000 square feet, (if square it would be 127 yards by 127 yards. It has a weight room that's 25,000 square feet, (53 by 53: half the size of a football field). The floor of the weight room is made of Brazilain ipe (EE-pay) "among the world's densest hardwoods"

The locker room and shower are designed to be oderless. Both are covered with Carrara marble, an Italian import that retains no orders. The locker room is carpeted in Mondo tiles, which have the same property. (Nothing is said about their .) The lockers have doors that have the player's name lasered onto it. They can be opened with a personal computer code. The shoulder pads and helmet are on a spring-loaded shelf so he can pull them on "like Bruce Wayne grabbing his gear in the Batcave".

There's a barber shop off the locker room with a head rest monogrammed with a big "O". There's a glass wall with 198 Ducks etched into it, representing every Duck player who had been drafted into the NFL, (plenty of room for more). But the pièce de résistance is the cafeteria which has a neon sign saying "EAT YOUR ENEMIES".

I hope Syracuse never goes this far. I'd be embarrassed if they did. Imagine what could have been done with the academic side of the University with all that money. And the joke is this is all being done to recruit teenagers. In what profession do you look at teenagers and project how good they are going to be as adults? And do these kids really want to be called "Ducks"?

What will end the madness? I wonder if allowing players who are just interested in getting to the NFL to go right to the NFL, where they could create a developmental league, would make a difference. If the kids were coming to college to get a degree, the academic curriculum, (and facilities) might mean more to them than these five star athletic palaces.

Agree with all of that, particularly your last paragraph.

21.-ops.-Scrooge-McDuck.-Azizonomics.jpg

what could have been done with 50 million.. he could have built part of a bldg for some academic college. but its not like the academic side is not spending a ton of money and raising tuition at a rate any slower than the sports side is spending on frills to recruit.

college is getting way too expensive when you consider its a waste of money for so many..

Phil Knight is worth 14 billion, that is crazy money! Are there any SU alums that are worth a lot and would be so generous?

college is getting way too expensive when you consider its a waste of money for so many..

And we are accelerating to the point where the only people who can afford to go are the very rich and the very poor. But that's a topic for the other board.

Look, it's not like that money was ever going to be spent on academics. It's Phil Knight's money, and he's got every right to spend it how he wants. The guy wants a great football team, and this is the best way to make it happen.

This web site has people who want a great football team, so this web site raised over $50k to make it happen. I bet that $50k could have done some pretty decent things for an academic cause at the university.

The sooner we all accept that these are simply professional teams disguised as amateur teams, the better off we'll all be.

The sooner we all accept that these are simply professional teams disguised as amateur teams, the better off we'll all be.
Well, not quite professional. The academic side is still required, and (he said naively) the scholarships remain in place regardless of performance on the field. They are, however, revoked for failure to progress in the classroom.

Look, it's not like that money was ever going to be spent on academics. It's Phil Knight's money, and he's got every right to spend it how he wants. The guy wants a great football team, and this is the best way to make it happen.

This web site has people who want a great football team, so this web site raised over $50k to make it happen. I bet that $50k could have done some pretty decent things for an academic cause at the university.

You're right he does have the right to do with his many what he wants. The argument isn't whether he has the right, but where our culture is placing it's priorities. We are elevating athletes (including the *cough* student *cough* variety) to godlike status. We, as a culture, are willing to spend whatever it takes just so we can say our team is better than their's, when there are so much more important things to worry about.

You're right he does have the right to do with his many what he wants. The argument isn't whether he has the right, but where our culture is placing it's priorities. We are elevating athletes (including the *cough* student *cough* variety) to godlike status. We, as a culture, are willing to spend whatever it takes just so we can say our team is better than there's, when there are so much more important things to worry about.

Agreed... and that's why were on this forum rather than the Newhouse forum isn't it?

Seems like they got everything covered for a college kid needs in that one building, except the ATM cash machine that dispenses free twenties.

This is one program that doesn't need to pay a stipend like Spurrier wants. A barber shop...really?

Maybe Phil Knight will take his full time barber at the Nike Headquaters and split his hours between the two Corporations.

Its not just athletics.

Universities are competing with infrastructure in all areas. It is a reality so we have to maintain and stay ahead where possible.

Seems like they got everything covered for a college kid needs in that one building, except the ATM cash machine that dispenses free twenties.

This is one program that doesn't need to pay a stipend like Spurrier wants. A barber shop...really?

Maybe Phil Knight will take his full time barber at the Nike Headquaters and split his hours between the two Corporations.

They can't compete with our barber shop!
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/jim-brown-in-the-barbers-chair/?_r=0

That's something else that worries me. These buildings are a lot about isolating kids from the rest of the student body and maybe also from their school work. They seem to underscore that they are there just to win football games.

That's something else that worries me. These buildings are a lot about isolating kids from the rest of the student body and maybe also from their school work. They seem to underscore that they are there just to win football games.

Yes but nothing new.

In the 1970s schools like OK had football dorms etc.

A barber shop...really?

I actually thought that was a good idea...and something that could be implemented in our IPF with little cost impact. Small room with a barber chair...open two days a week for a few hours so guys in the athletic department can get cuts.

I'm not saying we can compete with Brazilian hardwood and Italian marble...nor should we even try. But having TV's all over the place isn't a high $ modification. Also, having a large player lounge with actual couches rather than glorified airport furniture wouldn't break the bank either.

9081_471589312933428_1725040898_n.jpg

And before I get flamed...
I understand the school did the best with the funds they had available to them. They did a great job with the resources they had.

I actually thought that was a good idea...and something that could be implemented in our IPF with little cost impact. Small room with a barber chair...open two days a week for a few hours so guys in the athletic department can get cuts.

I'm not saying we can compete with Brazilian hardwood and Italian marble...nor should we even try. But having TV's all over the place isn't a high $ modification. Also, having a large player lounge with actual couches rather than glorified airport furniture wouldn't break the bank either.

I understand the school did the best with the funds they had available to them. They did a great job with the resources they had.

i totally agree. this is the 1 area i mentioned that could be spruced up quite a bit for a small amount (in the large scope of things). a small investment here could go a long way. at least have leather sofa/chairs, instead of the typical college furniture.

Doesn't Ohio State football have their own tattoo parlor?

So just so we are clear SWC is against the Melo center right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom