Why are Napier and Boatwright still in College? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why are Napier and Boatwright still in College?

Napier - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
Kemba - 24 minutes/game as a frosh
Ray Allen - 21 minutes/game as a frosh
Ben Gordon - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
AJ Price - 24 minutes/game as a frosh

Ennis - 36 minutes/game as a frosh
Flynn - 36 minutes/game as a frosh

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean?

Who declared for the draft with eligibility that didn't get drafted? I'm drawing blanks.
He might be referring to Harris and Devo. JB didn't want them back. That is what that was all about.

He might be referring to Harris and Devo. JB didn't want them back. That is what that was all about.

That's all I could think of too, and like you said they were basically pushed out the door.

i'm jealous of uconn's balanced 3 pt shooting

hopefully grant stays and makes the same improvement that daniels did from 3 pt range

Napier - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
Kemba - 24 minutes/game as a frosh
Ray Allen - 21 minutes/game as a frosh
Ben Gordon - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
AJ Price - 24 minutes/game as a frosh

Ennis - 36 minutes/game as a frosh
Flynn - 36 minutes/game as a frosh

What's that got to do with anything? What was Boatrights and Napiers draft status after their frosh season soph and jr? Not much. That's why they didn't go. Who gets picked higher this year? Frosh Ennis or thecuconn guys?

Do you know if they got their degree's?

I haven't the slightest idea. I am going to say no because I believe they were hurting our APR. They could have went back and finished though?

And what do you do with the forced second year player who does not have the grades to play in that second year ?? Ice skaters can go Pro in their early teens! No restrictions for golfers either. If the two year rule is passed, I guarantee that a super stud like Jabari Parker would take it to court. That rule would never hold up with a great attorney!

Why does it hold up in other sports?

And what do you do with the forced second year player who does not have the grades to play in that second year ?? Ice skaters can go Pro in their early teens! No restrictions for golfers either. If the two year rule is passed, I guarantee that a super stud like Jabari Parker would take it to court. That rule would never hold up with a great attorney!
it probably would hold up. Courts don't like to get involved in cases that have benn collectively bargained. And this woul;d have been.

Then give me guys who have to stay in college.

One reason why Ennis went pro is if he slipped at all next season he would then be here at least 3 years. Its a stupid reason but the world we live in today unfortunately. James Michael McAdoo fell into the same situation. Stock was high after his freshman year and when he came back everyone knew he would be back for at least 2 more years.

I love it because the NBA doesnt get these guys and I'm all for sticking it up the NBA's ass. I cant wait until they finally change these rules and force kids who commit to a college to stay for a couple of years at least. I think I was the only basketball fan that was highfiving people when the NBA went on strike.
I'd also much rather have players around to build some sense of continuity and history.
But...I also think a guy ought to be able to to participate at whatever level he can reach whenever he chooses to try it.
So, even though I dislike what early entry is doing to college ball...I have to accept it.
At least for now.

force kids who commit to a college to stay for a couple of years at least.

But Marsh, wasn't that the whole point of the Civil War? That you can't make someone stay somewhere and provide a service for free if they don't want to.

eao1115 said:
But Marsh, wasn't that the whole point of the Civil War? That you can't make someone stay somewhere and provide a service for free if they don't want to.

Beats the stuff out of me!

If you think those two should get an NBA roster spot - you don't watch enough NBA. Too small, not even close to Kemba or Nate on a skill level. NBA scouts know what they're doing.

Boatright and Napier are listed at 6'0'' and 6'1'' respectively but are probably both 2 inches shorter than that.

Boatright definitely would not have been drafted had he left last year and that's probably still true. He's a very good college player but how many NBA teams are looking for 5'10'' combo guards who aren't great shooters?

Napier had a great year last year but didn't get to play on the big stage in March, which is where he shines. As good as he was last year plenty of scouts still remembered how inconsistent he was as a sophomore. He would have been a 2nd round pick and make the right decision coming back.

If you think those two should get an NBA roster spot - you don't watch enough NBA. Too small, not even close to Kemba or Nate on a skill level. NBA scouts know what they're doing.

No argument there. I watch games for 5 minutes and need a cup of coffee.

I ran into Boatright in the hallway at the NCAA's in Buffalo and I though to myself, "that guy is tiny" I'm 6'4" and I was surprised how much taller than him I was.

Give me 12 Shabazz Napier's for 4 years ANY day of the week over ANY one and doner this year
So you would take a first round loss as a 9 seed his sophomore year? Remember, if you have them as Seniors you have to have them the other 3 years too, and you can't have 5 seniors every year. There aren't enough roster spots. You have to mix the stability that comes with good 4 year guys with the talented young guys that may leave early.

In '99-2000 we started 3 seniors and a junior and went to the sweet sixteen. The year before we lost as an 8 seed in the first round. You don't get the sweet sixteen year without the first round loss year. Not every senior is Napier, and it's impossible to tell exactly how guys will develop.

Ice skating is not a team game. Neither is golf. You can't compare them to basketball. The super stud can go to court, but a precedent has already been set when guys tried to sue the NFL and lost.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand that an employer has the right to establish entry level criteria as long as it isn't religiously or ethnically biased. Just like many careers require a certain degree, license, and/or experience through internships, the NBA can make a requirement for a certain level of post high school experience via overseas competition or college.

The NBA doesn't owe it to anyone to give them a payday when THEY want it.

And before anyone suggests that the NBA is preventing theses kids from getting a job, they're not. They can go work at any number of places, McDonald's and Walmart are almost always hiring.