Why can't Carey play through one mistake? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Carey play through one mistake?

I kinda agree with you, that JB wrecks confidence in some players before they rebuild it, but maybe Jalen is showing the same problems in practice as he is on the game floor. Maybe Buddy was given the benefit of the doubt when he was missing because practice told a different story. Or, maybe the problem is that Buddy missing shots wasn't considered as much of a problem because, while missing, he was still missing 'in the right way'—a missed shot, taken under the right circumstances and within the scheme, is not a mistake. But, turning the ball over the way Carey has been... that really is a sack full of mistakes.

Yeah, i'd like to see Carey rebuild confidence, because i know he's not as bad as he's been showing, but he really needs to earn it with play and not our hopes. I prolly would have put him out there with the starters when the game was practically out of reach, because losing by 25 instead of 18 is maybe i compromise i'd make if i thought it was a means of developing an important kid a bit quicker. I can't imagine anyone believes Carey has a fragile psyche.

Let's be 100% honest.

At 43 years in, if JAB is going to let his frosh son play thru mistakes... But other frosh get the hook every time they make a mistake... Tough.

If that appears to be nepotism... Or even if it IS nepotism... JAB doesn't really care what anyone thinks about it.

That's what 43 years gives you...

Unquestionable authority.

He's earned it.

Let's be 100% honest.

At 43 years in, if JAB is going to let his frosh son play thru mistakes... But other frosh get the hook every time they make a mistake... Tough.

If that appears to be nepotism... Or even if it IS nepotism... JAB doesn't really care what anyone thinks about it.

That's what 43 years gives you...

Unquestionable authority.

He's earned it.
There was a play in the last game that, in the midst of my misery, made me laugh out loud. Buddy fumbled a short pass out of bounds, right in front of JB. In 99% of other similar situations, JB yells at the player, "Catch the ball!!!" On that occasion, though, he clapped encouragement at Buddy and didn't even raise an eyebrow. I'm certainly not blowing this out of proportion. Just thought it was amusing. I hope the rest of the team sees it in the same light.

A good thing about Buddy is that he really seems to have good rapport with everyone, and he's an easy smiler on the court.

because boeheim's a role player

the guy who has the ball all the time cant be a role player

That’s nonsense. Any PG can’t be a role player because he has the ball all the time? How does that work in the NBA? Are guys like Ramon Sessions and DJ Augustin suddenly NOT role players because they handle the rock?

Absurd.

There was a play in the last game that, in the midst of my misery, made me laugh out loud. Buddy fumbled a short pass out of bounds, right in front of JB. In 99% of other similar situations, JB yells at the player, "Catch the ball!!!" On that occasion, though, he clapped encouragement at Buddy and didn't even raise an eyebrow. I'm certainly not blowing this out of proportion. Just thought it was amusing. I hope the rest of the team sees it in the same light.

A good thing about Buddy is that he really seems to have good rapport with everyone, and he's an easy smiler on the court.

I noticed that too. Any other guy, and JB freaks out.

i read here all the time that JB handles different players differently. fragile psyches whatever. i would hope as a father/coach JB realizes he has to be tougher on buddy else it leads to these discussions. that's just reality.

i read here all the time that JB handles different players differently. fragile psyches whatever. i would hope as a father/coach JB realizes he has to be tougher on buddy else it leads to these discussions. that's just reality.

I agree. I've coached my sons throughout a variety of youth sports. Of course, these sports are not the same as high level NCAA basketball. However, you really need to make sure you are equally, if not harder, on your own offspring. It's hard and could result in some tough conversations at home but helps the entire team. Our perception as fans doesn't really matter, so as long as the entire team is fine then no issues. I have no way of knowing and hope that is the case.

Cuse!

Why can't JB just let Carey get comfortable and play through his mistake? He mishandled the ball once, which may very well have been due to a wet spot on the floor that affected multiple other players.

I know I have zero career wins, but if it was me I would tell Jalen "listen, go out there and just relax, and play your game. If you turn the ball over once, it's fine, I'm not taking you out." And who knows, maybe it would result in him getting his mojo back and blowing by his defender for some easy layups which we all know he's capable of.

But instead, he's more mentally broken than he was prior to the game.
JB forced Carey to play through his mistakes against UConn after they pressured him and stole the ball from him multiple times. Granted we had no other option with Frank injured. Carey shook off the rough start and responded with 26 points and lots of great drives to the basket. At that point in the season we didn’t have any other options at PG, so we could let him play through the mistakes. But we’re in the thick of the ACC and need to play our way firmly into the tourney, so we can’t afford those kinds of mistakes—or at least I think that’s JB’s reasoning. It would be nice, though, if JB would just let Carey play through a few mistakes before pulling him. JB seems less and less patient with bad play as a season wears on.

Last edited:
Buddy had a long stretch where he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, but he was given opportunities and then it just clicked and now he’s good. Couldn’t the same happen to Carey?

Jalen is an asset for us that isn’t being utilized enough. He’s an elite athlete who can attack the basket, he just has zero confidence right now.
I think the issue might be that we already have a guy who can get buckets and attack the basket in Tyus, so Jalen duplicates that need—and is nowhere near as good as Tyus right now. (remember, Jalen was supposed to be Tyus’s replacement this season since they thought Battle was going pro.) Ostensibly Frank should be the other guard that can drive and attack the basket, but for some reason, which JB has talked about ad nauseum, he just can’t get by people this year. Ugh. Anyways, with Buddy coming off the bench, we have another shooter on the floor, along with Hughes, to help space the floor for Tyus and Oshae to drive. That’s why Buddy’s getting playing time as the main guard sub.

I think the issue might be that we already have a guy who can get buckets and attack the basket in Tyus, so Jalen duplicates that need—and is nowhere near as good as Tyus right now. (remember, Jalen was supposed to be Tyus’s replacement this season since they thought Battle was going pro.) Ostensibly Frank should be the other guard that can drive and attack the basket, but for some reason, which JB has talked about ad nauseum, he just can’t get by people this year. Ugh. Anyways, with Buddy coming off the bench, we have another shooter on the floor, along with Hughes, to help space the floor for Tyus and Oshae to drive. That’s why Buddy’s getting playing time as the main guard sub.
Buddy is also getting those minutes because he's been filling it up lately, and doing so quite efficiently. The last time I looked, he was leading the team in scoring per 40 minutes in ACC play.

he can't handle the ball. It isn't just one mistake. It's almost every time he handles the ball.
Watch the Uconn game after the first 5 minutes. He and Hughes were the only ones doing anything. It’s all in his head right now. He has the skills to handle the ball, but he just keeps making mental mistakes and his confidence is shot. Honestly, I don’t know why people are complaining about Carey and taking pot shots at him. Frank, who’s a freakin senior, can’t get by his man, like he did all last year, and barely even seems to try to attack the basket. And as JB seems to be suggesting it’s all mental right now with him too. But I have much less patience with these issues for a senior who’s proven he can play. It’s time to get it together, Frank.

Last edited:
This 100%

Why can't JB just let Carey get comfortable and play through his mistake? He mishandled the ball once, which may very well have been due to a wet spot on the floor that affected multiple other players.

I know I have zero career wins, but if it was me I would tell Jalen "listen, go out there and just relax, and play your game. If you turn the ball over once, it's fine, I'm not taking you out." And who knows, maybe it would result in him getting his mojo back and blowing by his defender for some easy layups which we all know he's capable of.

Well said. He is playing on pins and needles knowing he cannot screw up or he's instantly pulled. He has been erratic, but the kid is a good athlete. He needs confidence more than anything. Boeheim's tough love approach works with some players, but this seems like a case of it not exactly helping the kid.

I also have zero career wins, though.

Not sure what this means...
Tweet deleted. My guess is it was being misinterpreted.
1549750613363.gif

Bad luck today, Boeheim was ready to give Carey some extended time but Oshae pretty much singlehandedly turned a 20-point lead to 13 and that was that.

Several guys participated in that partial melt-down--Battle, Brissett, and Howard all took bad shots (early in the shot clock, also). Then Carey dribbled right into a double team.

Several guys participated in that partial melt-down--Battle, Brissett, and Howard all took bad shots (early in the shot clock, also). Then Carey dribbled right into a double team.
True, but Brissett's brutal charge and forced three were I think the first two or two of the first three possessions after the substitution and really got that momentum flipped.

True, but Brissett's brutal charge and forced three were I think the first two or two of the first three possessions after the substitution and really got that momentum flipped.
Agree it wasn’t all on jalen but he certainly didn’t help or make any decent plays. He did nothing out there except a turnover and two def mistakes.

jalen's last multi turnover game was duke . he had 3 . same as frank . tyus and oshae.(and buddy last game) so in the 7 games since he's logged 14 minutes (includes 3 dnps) . he's amassed 3 turnovers in those 4 games he played (no more than 1 in any appearance ) and is 1-2 from the floor. if these stats aren't telling you 1 mistake and you sit i don't know what to say . no way you can gauge a player given less than 2 minutes a game . kid doesn't even break a sweat before he's pulled. but let's put the turnover machine thing to rest. lately he gets pulled after just 1. as the title of this thread suggests.

Last edited:
I dont recall if I said this earlier in the thread, but didn't Boeheim do a similar thing with Fab Melo? Maybe this is the formula to turn Carey into the next Fab. And I mean they named a clothing line on espn3 commercials(Fabletics) after that guy.

Hopefully one day we can look back on this thread fondly.

Agree 100pct with you, I’m so sick of JB mental mind games vs providing a positive reinforcement attitude, Yes Jalen has made mistakes, but we were up by 20 and he can’t get him in the game. That’s just ridiculous. Frank has played terrible most of the season, I do not care senior or not, he can’t go around anyone,

JB can’t find 6 min per 1/2 for game? , jalen was by far our most sought out recruit last year and this is how he handles him, pulling him out in every game (that he gets in) after a mistake,

Same goes with the big men, every post game, not doing this not doing that, Sid looked great a few games ago, best in a year, and he doesn’t give him minutes, I wonder why we can’t recruit a big, when JB stands at the podium and says we don’t need them for offense, but they have to guard, that’s really terrific for the 2 bigs we have, the new one coming in and recruiting go forward, stop saying we need them and then not support them, kids can’t go in thinking they can’t make mistakes, if they do they get pulled, that’s just terrible coaching ,

I feel bad for JC , we sold him a bag of goods, he would have played 30 min a game at Miami, he should get pt, previous gm Buddy misses 6 in a row, makes a turnover, 2 plays in a row the other team guards blow by him to the hoop, does hc pull him out or yell at him? Nope.

How often do you see the best coaches in the game yelling at their kids, throwing their arms in the air and the mistake automatic pull? How can u expect Carey to have any
confidence? Happens every game with both centers. This is not 1989, kids are not mentally built like DC and BO, different world.

The world has changed, JB hasn’t adjusted, and we are just so ugly to watch, power of positive energy would be helpful and good luck recruiting a big, has nothing to do with Gerry or Red, bigs not gonna play for JB. Which is fine, as long as we get top 50 guards and forwards like Carey, wait that’s not going well either , highest ranked player since Tyus , jb don’t expect something, then ruin the kids mentally and expect different results.

Jalen Carey treatment is terrible, upsetting and not good for our present and future, regardless if we win at home against a very bad BC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom