Why can't Carey play through one mistake? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Carey play through one mistake?

Jalen Carey treatment is terrible, upsetting and not good for our present and future, regardless if we win at home against a very bad BC.
Not for nothing but even though he is a freshman he is still expected to come off the bench and make plays. That's what JAB wants to see.

Agree 100pct with you, I’m so sick of JB mental mind games vs providing a positive reinforcement attitude, Yes Jalen has made mistakes, but we were up by 20 and he can’t get him in the game. That’s just ridiculous. Frank has played terrible most of the season, I do not care senior or not, he can’t go around anyone,

JB can’t find 6 min per 1/2 for game? , jalen was by far our most sought out recruit last year and this is how he handles him, pulling him out in every game (that he gets in) after a mistake,

Same goes with the big men, every post game, not doing this not doing that, Sid looked great a few games ago, best in a year, and he doesn’t give him minutes, I wonder why we can’t recruit a big, when JB stands at the podium and says we don’t need them for offense, but they have to guard, that’s really terrific for the 2 bigs we have, the new one coming in and recruiting go forward, stop saying we need them and then not support them, kids can’t go in thinking they can’t make mistakes, if they do they get pulled, that’s just terrible coaching ,

I feel bad for JC , we sold him a bag of goods, he would have played 30 min a game at Miami, he should get pt, previous gm Buddy misses 6 in a row, makes a turnover, 2 plays in a row the other team guards blow by him to the hoop, does hc pull him out or yell at him? Nope.

How often do you see the best coaches in the game yelling at their kids, throwing their arms in the air and the mistake automatic pull? How can u expect Carey to have any
confidence? Happens every game with both centers. This is not 1989, kids are not mentally built like DC and BO, different world.

The world has changed, JB hasn’t adjusted, and we are just so ugly to watch, power of positive energy would be helpful and good luck recruiting a big, has nothing to do with Gerry or Red, bigs not gonna play for JB. Which is fine, as long as we get top 50 guards and forwards like Carey, wait that’s not going well either , highest ranked player since Tyus , jb don’t expect something, then ruin the kids mentally and expect different results.

Jalen Carey treatment is terrible, upsetting and not good for our present and future, regardless if we win at home against a very bad BC.

Dude he’s a freshman

Ok if he is a freshmen, that’s ok to feel like that but do not recruit top 300 kids, doesn’t work like that

Ok if he is a freshmen, that’s ok to feel like that but do not recruit top 300 kids, doesn’t work like that
Let's see--who knows better how it works--head coach with 43 years on the job and tens of thousands of hours recruiting 18-year-olds, or an anonymous poster?

If Frank wasn’t a senior, Carey would get those minutes. They both have been brutal for long periods now. I’d rather have Carey play as the lead ball handler over Frank, but at least Tyus is taking on a more sizable load with that.

frank has stunk. having one guy get pulled for one bad play whereas another guy is able to make multiple bad plays and stay in the game is not good coaching.

frank has stunk. having one guy get pulled for one bad play whereas another guy is able to make multiple bad plays and stay in the game is not good coaching.
The difference is that one of the guys stinking it up has a strong body of work at the highest level of college basketball in the not so distant past, and the other does not.

The difference is that one of the guys stinking it up has a strong body of work at the highest level of college basketball in the not so distant past, and the other does not.

Right. And Carey turns it over almost twice as often as Howard.

Shooting bad is one thing. The turnovers are worse though.

when was frank good again? making a miracle sweet sixteen run and what else, is that what we are playing for?

when was frank good again? making a miracle sweet sixteen run and what else, is that what we are playing for?
Helping us beat Duke, started every game last year on a sweet 16 team. When has Carey been good? Was it the one game against UConn that we lost?

I see the arguments for both sides here but cmon, we were the last at-large invited. Getting the right matchups for 2 weeks in March doesn’t erase how mediocre Franks career has been.
I won’t argue that. He has been mediocre for sure. But st times he has been very good and he can win us games and has in the past. Carey has not. Frank is a senior who doesn’t run the ball over anywhere close to the rate jalen does. If we want to make a fun I. March we need frank playing well IMO. Let me ask you a question, if you had to choose frank or Carey with 4 mins in a tied ncaa tourney game who are u going with?

I won’t argue that. He has been mediocre for sure. But st times he has been very good and he can win us games and has in the past. Carey has not. Frank is a senior who doesn’t run the ball over anywhere close to the rate jalen does. If we want to make a fun I. March we need frank playing well IMO. Let me ask you a question, if you had to choose frank or Carey with 4 mins in a tied game who are u going with?
At this point yeah carey has lost all confidence and I wouldn’t put him in. I think the mantra though is that maybe he wouldn’t have regresssed if things were handled differently.

At this point yeah carey has lost all confidence and I wouldn’t put him in. I think the mantra though is that maybe he wouldn’t have regresssed if things were handled differently.

Fair enough. That’s a tough question. I think Carey is vital to next year and will be a solid player if he stays at Cuse but I also think he’s had ample time to earn his minutes this year and simply hasn’t. His leash has gotten shorter and shorter in games due to his poor play. Buddy had a short leash too but he has earned his minutes IMO. Maybe some of the blame lies on the coaches but I think most lies on jalen just not being ready to contribute st this point in his career. We can’t just let him play thru his mistakes, these games are too important.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating.

Where Boeheim has erred big time with Carey this year, IMO is not establishing a firm timeshare at PG when it became immediately clear upon his return that FH would not get back to 100%. In fact, it’s pretty clear that FH has spent the ROS as 75% physically of the player he was before the injury.

That was still early enough in the season where that decision would have paid dividends we’d be seeing right now.

Carey penetrates the lane far better than Howard and can finish inside. Howard looks like he’s playing on one leg and just chucks up off balance threes. With Buddy’s emergence, we don’t need Howard’s 3point weaponry as much, but we do need a guard that can penetrate and get into the paint other than Battle.

Enter Carey. Run some two guard sets with him and Battle. Hell, have Battle be the primary ballhandler when Carey comes in and flash Carey towards the basket.

He CAN absolutely be useful on this team. He’s getting punished by JB, which IMO is not right.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating.

Where Boeheim has erred big time with Carey this year, IMO is not establishing a firm timeshare at PG when it became immediately clear upon his return that FH would not get back to 100%. In fact, it’s pretty clear that FH has spent the ROS as 75% physically of the player he was before the injury.

That was still early enough in the season where that decision would have paid dividends we’d be seeing right now.

Carey penetrates the lane far better than Howard and can finish inside. Howard looks like he’s playing on one leg and just chucks up off balance threes. With Buddy’s emergence, we don’t need Howard’s 3point weaponry as much, but we do need a guard that can penetrate and get into the paint other than Battle.

Enter Carey. Run some two guard sets with him and Battle. Hell, have Battle be the primary ballhandler when Carey comes in and flash Carey towards the basket.

He CAN absolutely be useful on this team. He’s getting punished by JB, which IMO is not right.
i agree that frank is obviously not close to 100% and likely won't be

but the numbers are relentless . . .
frank's true shooting percentage in acc play is 50.5
jalen's is 30.1
the turnover rates i already mentioned above, but i have to note again that jalen's are shockingly bad

syracuse is a good team with a small margin for error. between the two of them, frank widens the margin a little and jalen narrows it greatly. i find it hard to find any argument why he is anything other than the 4th option in a 3 man rotation

i agree that frank is obviously not close to 100% and likely won't be

but the numbers are relentless . . .
frank's true shooting percentage in acc play is 50.5
jalen's is 30.1
the turnover rates i already mentioned above, but i have to note again that jalen's are shockingly bad

syracuse is a good team with a small margin for error. between the two of them, frank widens the margin a little and jalen narrows it greatly. i find it hard to find any argument why he is anything other than the 4th option in a 3 man rotation

I’ll still argue that he should be getting more minutes than he has been, and given the right timing and role, he can help this team. But Boeheim doesn’t seem to agree.

And if you don’t have Carey be the primary ball handler when he’s in, and play off Battle, then his TO rate is somewhat mitigated. The problem with playing Carey at the SG with Battle at the point is that you can’t really put Buddy at the 3, and then only one of Buddy/Hughes is going to be in the game at that point because you can’t put either of them at the 4.

syracuse guards, turnover rate in acc play
boeheim, 9.8
battle, 13.4
howard 20.0
carey 56.2

that is all

Those numbers are scewed. One plays for 2 minutes makes 1 turnover and gets pulled. Others play 2 minutes make a turnover and get to play through them. The sample size for Carey is awful small in ACC for those number to mean anything.

Those numbers are scewed. One plays for 2 minutes makes 1 turnover and gets pulled. Others play 2 minutes make a turnover and get to play through them. The sample size for Carey is awful small in ACC for those number to mean anything.
very true, carey's sample size is small
but jb's is not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom