Why can't Moyer stay? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Moyer stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would give Moyer a pass on his play as he a freshman and was forced into playing do largely to guys leaving for the NBA who the staff thought would take most of the minuets. Marek took the opposite approach and wouldn't do anything that would incur Boeheim's wrath, which worked for him but put a lot of pressure on the other 3 scorers.

Marek didn’t play more than Moyer because he didn’t incur any wrath.

He was pretty good in a number of games and very good in a few. He was the best passer on the team.

Marek didn’t play more than Moyer because he didn’t incur any wrath.

He was pretty good in a number of games and very good in a few. He was the best passer on the team.
He played more at first because he wasn't injured. But he correctly assessed that Boeheim will not tolerate a player trying to do too much without authorization. He's smart.

Well, I see two issues besides many that have been discusses above:

1. We do not know exactly what was said at the season end exit interview. I imagine Jimmy did not have kind words because it seemed like Matt announced that he would be transferring the very next day.

2. Even wo Baz, I doubt Matt would beat out Hughes for backup forward minutes, not to mention if we can bring somebody else in.

Matt was a player whose personality I loved, but somehow, despite his athleticism, he always looked klutzy out there to me. I am against forcing players out, but I would not see a role for Matt on the current roster.

I think we have enough players without him. I just think he brings some "je ne sais quoi" to the team. Some real " esprit de corps".
Well, maybe.

But Battle, Frank and Brissett don’t seem like real rah-rah guys to me.

Moyer wasn’t the leader on this team, it was these three guys, especially Tyus.

I’m reminded of the saying, “I hear what you say, but I see what you do.”

What do you imagine Battle thought about Matt not wanting to play on a sore ankle?

1. We do not know exactly what was said at the season end exit interview. I imagine Jimmy did not have kind words because it seemed like Matt announced that he would be transferring the very next day.

2. Even wo Baz, I doubt Matt would beat out Hughes for backup forward minutes, not to mention if we can bring somebody else in.

Matt was a player whose personality I loved, but somehow, despite his athleticism, he always looked klutzy out there to me. I am against forcing players out, but I would not see a role for Matt on the current roster.

That seems awfully early to be having post season exit interviews. If it happened, it was a “special session” in which at least one of them thought Matt should find another place to play.

May be the ankle injury made him look kluttzy. Hard to exert control over your body when you can't.

I was looking at it from his point of view that he would be playing walk on minutes in his 3rd year in the program and might be recruited over in 2019.
Had Moyer stayed, he was likely looking at substantial minutes as a redshirt junior and senior, either as a token starter or first forward off the bench. He also may have been able to work his way into a few minutes backing up the 5.

While I really like MM you don’t know what JB did or didn’t do. If I was MM I would have seen that, at the time, I was #4 for playing time, and possibly 5, at forward. I’d want to play. It didn’t seem great when his folks got involved but we on the outside, I think, must realize we are on the outside and don’t know what transpires.

Eggzacktly...

Unless you are MM, JB and staff, a member of the medical staff or, possibly, one of MM's parents...you have no clue what went on...

Was MM capable of playing but didn't (which is what JB supporters and/or MM detractors will conclude)?
Was MM incapable of playing but JB wanted him to anyway (which is what JB detractors and/or MM supporters will conclude)?
Was in somewhere in the middle?

And if you come to firm, indisputable conclusions based upon your own assumptions (or second, or third, or fourth or twelfth-hand knowledge or what HeimforPrez told you) about what transpired, then it makes you an the first three letters + umptions - umptions.

1. I kinda think the sentiments that lead up to a transfer were likely brewing all season long. The exit interview was prolly the finishing/confirming piece.
2. He's been practicing with/against Hughes for a while. I can imagine he saw the writing on the wall, with regard to his own PT next year, with or without Bazeley. I can completely understand him not feeling like his situation would be likely to improve, minutes-wise. And if you're also not getting the warm-n-fuzzies from JB, yeah, you prolly aren't going to be fully enthused about putting in the amount of work needed and still doing the bulk of the game as a cheerleader.

Agreed—exactly, he was my 'pre-favorite' player, personality-wise. From his HS highlights, i thought he was going to be a completely different player, but he did play "klutzy." Sometimes, seemingly intentionally so! Like the Wildman from Borneo... I hope he wasn't forced out, and it's kinda hard to imagine that with our depth issues that we feel we're good enough and set without him. Wonder if that means the staff is confident about other options (not currently on the roster). They probably felt that way before Bazeley's decision. But, now? We haven't been in the position for a while where we could afford to take things for granted.

Dolezaj's play definitely played a part, but not to rehash this thread over and over, wouldn't common sense say that JAB was deferring to his medical team and to Matt himself. If both said he could play then why would JAB think differently. It wasn't until Moyer's parents got involved and they made the decision for Matt to sit.

Matt wanted to play. We have to assume the medical staff said he was ok to play.

Matt might not want to transfer. For all we know, TT didn't want to transfer either. Unfortunately, it might not matter what they think.
Look at all the games that Sibibe didn't play because of his knees. I don't know if the medical staff said no or if he told coach its way to sore to go or what but it does show that JB listened to whom ever voiced that.
Since everybody nit picks everything JB says what about this, did he say that Matt said he COULDN'T play or didn't WANT to play. The former is understandable but a coach, any coach can't abide the latter.
[

QUOTE="CousCuse, post: 2564261, member: 4127"]Make uncorroborated assumptions. That's what we do here, isn't it. But if you deduce it logically, he would have had to think that Bazley and OB get most of the time and Marek gets a bit. That would have definitely made Marek stay and start in 2019 and the other spot would have gone to a 4 or 5 star. Now Marek is starting and could easily be gone in 2019 leaving a starting spot for a transfer or freshman or for Moyer.[/QUOTE]
Going into the 17-18 season Matt was maybe the 3rd or 4th forward, maybe even 5th if Tyus becomes a swing man. So staying behind 2 starters and a 3rd forward is any different. Look how that turned out.One never know how the minutes are going to shake out.

Hahahahaha

People now want Moyer to come back because Darius decided to go to the G league.

He is gone and it is probably for the best for both him and SU basketball. i don't think he was ever going to get the minutes/spotlight that he and his family wanted. I think he could filled a good niche roll as a 10-12 minute per game energy player off the bench but not too much more. He looked so unathletic at times. You could never question his hustle though.

Good luck to Matt.

Hahahahaha

People now want Moyer to come back because Darius decided to go to the G league.

He is gone and it is probably for the best for both him and SU basketball. i don't think he was ever going to get the minutes/spotlight that he and his family wanted. I think he could filled a good niche roll as a 10-12 minute per game energy player off the bench but not too much more. He looked so unathletic at times. You could never question his hustle though.

Good luck to Matt.
Maybe it's not so much that they now want him to come back as it was that they didn't want him to leave in the first place?

Co
Maybe it's not so much that they now want him to come back as it was that they didn't want him to leave in the first place?
Could be but the fact remains that he is gone and does not appear to be coming back. Lots of jilted ex boyfriend/girlfriend posts here. Wish him the best and move along.

"Do you know Goodbye Stranger, Supertramp?

It was early morning yesterday
I was up before the dawn
And I really have enjoyed my stay
Moyer must be movin' on

Goodbye Moyer, it's been niiiiice
Hope you find your paradiiiiiseeeee

[singing, screaming into the mic] Come tomorrow, feel no pain! Feel no pain!
Moyer! Moyer! Moyyyy-er! Moyer's goin' away! See ya! He's outta here! See ya! He's outta here! Ohh! Goodbye Moyer! Goodbye Moyer! Goodbye Moyer! Goodbye Moyyyyyer!"

Now I believe that what you say
is the undisputed truth
But I have to have things my own way
to Keep me in my youth

I know there were a lot of hard feelings but that is life in the big leagues. There are no 5 star guys out there that the coaches would make a playing time deal with and if the staff went out and got a role player, I don't think he would be better than MM. They haven't got anyone yet, so the door is still open, maybe on purpose. The French term that comes to mind rapprochement.
rap·proche·ment
ˌrapˌrōSHˈmän,ˌrapˌrôSHˈmän/
noun

As of a couple days ago FWIW, an SU student asked Matt if he’d consider staying since Bazley isn’t coming. Matt’s answer was “no”.
I think that one thing Matt should consider is that if the anklegate issue is a factor in his decision, then other coaches will probably sympathize with Boeheim on that .

As of a couple days ago FWIW, an SU student asked Matt if he’d consider staying since Bazley isn’t coming. Matt’s answer was “no”.

Was that student your son?

I think that one thing Matt should consider is that if the anklegate issue is a factor in his decision, then other coaches will probably sympathize with Boeheim on that .
Or not.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

PonyBoy-1024x424.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.