Why can't Moyer stay? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Moyer stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i imagine it's unlikely ... but it would be hilarious if, after all that has been written and said, next year's practice squad ended up featuring both matty & quade
For Cuse or for Nova?

That's no help.
Other coaches aren’t going to think what you said.
College coaching is ruthless. JB cares more about his fellow coaches than they do towards him especially when it comes to transfers.

Moyer isn’t coming back. No reason to air anymore dirty laundry.

Other coaches aren’t going to think what you said.
College coaching is ruthless. JB cares more about his fellow coaches than they do towards him especially when it comes to transfers.

Moyer isn’t coming back. No reason to air anymore dirty laundry.
Correct. The idea that Moyer might be blackballed by the coaching community is crazy. If a coach thinks Moyer can make his team better and help win games, he'll be interested.

Correct. The idea that Moyer might be blackballed by the coaching community is crazy. If a coach thinks Moyer can make his team better and help win games, he'll be interested.
Coaches worst problem from pee wee all the way up and now into college is parents. He's not going to get blackballed. But if you have ever managed people, you would understand that they usually don't leave their issues behind.

Don't complain about wanting Moyer to stay and then criticize our offense or whine about wanting better 3 point shooting. Dude couldn't even hit FTs reliably.

Nice kid who worked hard but he'd just be emergency depth next year. Should do well at his next school after a year off to rest his knee/ankle.

Don't complain about wanting Moyer to stay and then criticize our offense or whine about wanting better 3 point shooting. Dude couldn't even hit FTs reliably.

Nice kid who worked hard but he'd just be emergency depth next year. Should do well at his next school after a year off to rest his knee/ankle.

You realize we can go as high as 14 scholarship players next year and as of now we only have 9..... or 10 in the unlikely event that Battle were to return. So I think, we could afford to use one on Matt, even if he isn't capable of shooting the 3.

How were complaints about the offense and 3 pt shooting related to Moyer?
Either way—even if those were supposed to be his bread/butter skills, wanting him to stay is more about who he might develop into. Not everyone is hot out of the box.

You realize we can go as high as 14 scholarship players next year and as of now we only have 9... or 10 in the unlikely event that Battle were to return. So I think, we could afford to use one on Matt, even if he isn't capable of shooting the 3.

Is he under contract to us or something?

The guy left for playing time because he was only going to play with the walkons next year. He was #7 on the depth chart this year and barely saw 10 minutes of PT. Next year he goes from 7 to 10. When he made his decision he thought he had Bazley ahead of him too.

Hey I'd have taken him on my team to be the 10th guy in an 8/9 man rotation too I don't disagree with you I just don't think its reasonable to expect him to want to fill that role. Its not a huge loss good athlete but a lot of mistakes and he couldn't even hit FTs.

How were complaints about the offense and 3 pt shooting related to Moyer?
Either way—even if those were supposed to be his bread/butter skills, wanting him to stay is more about who he might develop into. Not everyone is hot out of the box.

Those complaints are directly related to Moyer. If you want to take advantage of the NCAA 3 point line and want a 7-2 center who swats everything as well you can't play a guy who can't hit any threes like Moyer at a wing spot along with your 7-2 center (who probably shoots the 3 better.) You need 4 options from deep on the floor to consistently get good looks from behind the arc and shoot a high percentage as a team.

His 3 against Uconn was the only one he hit all year. I don't think any of his other attempts were close to going in either. That was a huge shot for us though!

I like Moyer this is a no brainer move for him he'll do well wherever he ends up.

Those complaints are directly related to Moyer. If you want to take advantage of the NCAA 3 point line and want a 7-2 center who swats everything as well you can't play a guy who can't hit any threes like Moyer at a wing spot along with your 7-2 center (who probably shoots the 3 better.) You need 4 options from deep on the floor to consistently get good looks from behind the arc and shoot a high percentage as a team.

His 3 against Uconn was the only one he hit all year. I don't think any of his other attempts were close to going in either. That was a huge shot for us though!

I like Moyer this is a no brainer move for him he'll do well wherever he ends up.
I get that we would have been a better team if Moyer could perform at that level. But you said "complaints about our offense" — Matty didn't play enough to be responsible for our offensive issues. Yeah, i guess you can say that if he played like Dirk Nowitski, he would have played all the minutes, and we'd have been a better offensive team.

sometimes the guy that acts the happiest isn't actually the happiest. all I can think is that the moyer's still think he has a shot at being a pro, which isn't going to happen from Syracuse. which in all likelihood means it isn't going to happen. but they can hold out hope, and I am not going to blame them for that.

While I don't pretend to understand all of the particulars for Matt's leaving, I am curious
as to why it was within two days of the end of the season, when there hadn't been news
about either Battle or Brissette. Granted, seeing everyone back, his playing time drops,
but if everyone chooses to go, and this could include Dolezaj if he gets blown away by an
offer at home, he was looking at being a near-certain starter. If it's me, I at least would've
waited to the NBA declaration deadline.

kev

image.jpg

I don't think we can keep him.

Alright! Enough already with Matt Moyer! He wasn't going to play next year because we had 4 other guys (Baz, Oshae, Hughes and Marek) who are WAY better than him. With Baz gone now its 3. He still isn't going to play.
I like the kid, but he was a turnover waiting to happen. Let him transfer down to a level where he can have some success.

Status
Not open for further replies.