Why can't Moyer stay? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Moyer stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, letting this happen is a huge mistake by Boeheim.

How does JB not "let" this happen?

If Matt wants to leave, he's going to leave.
And clearly - he wants to leave.

There's this thing, called Free Will, that not even God can control.
Haven't you ever seen Bruce Almighty? :p

I guess I can see it easier from the school’s perspective. It doesn’t appear the player and the parents learned very much from this experience.

Why not a school like Northwestern?

He’s considering Vanderbilt apparently. Same tier academically.

He’s considering Vanderbilt apparently. Same tier academically.

Yeah, but a step up athletically.

I would think (substituting my bias) he would want a great school and academic experience and an opportunity to play basketball at the highest level he is capable of. His consideration of K-State suggests to me that basketball is driving the bus, in his eyes.

Even allowing significant development of his game, I think the consensus of the SU fans was that he might be able to play and contribute at the SU level as an upperclassman.

The expectations and pressures aren’t going to be different at Xavier than at SU.

I thought that seeing what he does next would give us some insights into the kid and what happened at SU. At this point in time, given the list of schools he is talking to and who are talking to him, I am officially “baffled”.

I would think that the coaches of these schools are talking to Boeheim as part of this process. If that is true, it appears that JB is giving the kid (and the parents) a “clean bill of health”.

I would think (substituting my bias) he would want a great school and academic experience and an opportunity to play basketball at the highest level he is capable of. His consideration of K-State suggests to me that basketball is driving the bus, in his eyes.

Even allowing significant development of his game, I think the consensus of the SU fans was that he might be able to play and contribute at the SU level as an upperclassman.

The expectations and pressures aren’t going to be different at Xavier than at SU.

I thought that seeing what he does next would give us some insights into the kid and what happened at SU. At this point in time, given the list of schools he is talking to and who are talking to him, I am officially “baffled”.

I would think that the coaches of these schools are talking to Boeheim as part of this process. If that is true, it appears that JB is giving the kid (and the parents) a “clean bill of health”.

Well said. Baffled as well. I’m one of those who thought he would fit better at a MAC-type program. Waters said recently on a podcast that he (paraphrasing) would be surprised if Matt suddenly becomes a good player elsewhere. Moyer could also be a little delusional (or maybe just confident?) in terms of his own abilities. Waters also said that he didn’t like his role at SU. Not sure how else Moyer thought he should be featured. Weird.

Last edited:
Yes, but God can "motivate and encourage." Have you read about Pharaoh?

So, we just need JB to part the Orange Sea (would that be Lake Onandoga?) and then descend from Mount Olympus with the Not Ten F&^%$# Commandments?

Done and done. ;)

Only a Carrier Dome custodian can part the Orange Sea (the thousands of containers with nacho cheese sauce left on the metal benches and concrete after every S.U. game).

I don't understand Xavier or Kansas State. Neither makes much sense. Based on what we saw this year, I think it is highly unlikely that Moyer is going to be make his living playing basketball no matter where he goes. So, why not parlay his remaining eligibility into a degree from a high end academic school?

When he first announced he was leaving someone suggested maybe an Ivy. That would make a lot of sense both athletically and academically, as would Northwestern. Vanderbilt would fit the academic profile, but with the recruiting class they are bringing in I'm not sure how easily he'll find minutes there.

Good luck to him -- I think he is going to have a solid college career. Sad that it didn't work out for a kid that bled orange (like Kaleb). He was injured a lot here, but he was not a second rate recruit. The Yukon game showed us what kind of player he can be with the right team. I think he is going to eventually surprise a lot of people on this board.

KSU would be a good fit for him. They seem to like scrappy guys who battle for boards. Could see him doing well in their system. Just doesn’t have the offensive skill set for us.

" I think it is highly unlikely that Moyer is going to make his living playing basketball no matter where he goes. So, why not parlay his remaining eligibility into a degree from a high-end academic school?"

I agree. Matt appears to be a bright young man with a bright future. A college degree from the likes of Vanderbilt or Northwestern enhances that future quite a bit more than a degree from Kansas State. Fifteen years from now, it won't make a bit of difference how many minutes he played during his remaining basketball eligibility.

How does JB not "let" this happen?

If Matt wants to leave, he's going to leave.
And clearly - he wants to leave.

There's this thing, called Free Will, that not even God can control.
Haven't you ever seen Bruce Almighty? :p

Werent you the guy claiming matt would never leave?

MM never showed much talent this year, so I'm also a bit surprised he's considering schools like K-State, Xavier, etc. I think he could end up in a similar situation to Kaleb Joseph if he goes to a place like those.

If communications is his desired program, why not consider a mid-major with decent journalism reputations? Ball State, Bowling Green, Temple, Boston U, Ohio U, GW are all pretty solid J-schools I think. One of those MAC schools in Ohio, specifically Ohio U, would be perfect for him, but I understand if he wants to prove himself at a power school.

Stop. Kaleb Joseph showed he was good at nothing.

Moyer can end up being an elite rebounder at a power 5. He definitely has that skill. Our fans are bad at projecting players.

What's amazing is the same people saying he is awful now were saying how great he is and hammering the people who said he needs a lot of work and time before this season.

My opinion of his skills hasn't changed, I just feel bad for him now because of how fast this program and it's fans turned on him. Still can't believe the garbage I read about him and his parents.

May be people should temper their expectations on these kids so they don't get so disappointed to the point they just destroy these kids on the internet.

What's amazing is the same people saying he is awful now were saying how great he is and hammering the people who said he needs a lot of work and time before this season.

My opinion of his skills hasn't changed, I just feel bad for him now because of how fast this program and it's fans turned on him. Still can't believe the garbage I read about him and his parents.

May be people should temper their expectations on these kids so they don't get so disappointed to the point they just destroy these kids on the internet.
You probably have seen this before, in a movie, " Never go against the family, Fredo".

MM never showed much talent this year, so I'm also a bit surprised he's considering schools like K-State, Xavier, etc. I think he could end up in a similar situation to Kaleb Joseph if he goes to a place like those.

If communications is his desired program, why not consider a mid-major with decent journalism reputations? Ball State, Bowling Green, Temple, Boston U, Ohio U, GW are all pretty solid J-schools I think. One of those MAC schools in Ohio, specifically Ohio U, would be perfect for him, but I understand if he wants to prove himself at a power school.
MM may become an effective or even a strong player at a top BB school. Kids do develop and attitudes do change. But, I think, that would surprise most SU fans, who caught glimpses of him this past year.

Understanding just how good a kid really is or can become is an extraordinarily difficult thing to do many times.

For years I have watched this little drama play out in the DC area private and Catholic high school worlds.

Parents are the absolute worst at asssessing how good their offsprings are and what their potential is. Usually they tend to overrate, sometimes grossly. But I have seen parents who underestimate too. Recruiting Coaches that don’t agree with the parents are held to be fools and poor judges of talent.

Kids also get swept up in the hype. They listen to what they want to hear and through the schools and the AAU programs they can hear a lot of positive stuff that inflates their opinion of what they are capable of and where they ought to go. The amount of smoke blown in their ears can be tremendous.

Coming to grips with reality when they actually get to a school and start playing and practicing is a very difficult thing to deal with. Some, stunned by their lack of success and the sudden fall in stature, arrive at the conclusion that the problem is the coaching staff or the system or that they are far away from home. These kids have been told they are the second coming of Michael Jordan or whoever since they were eight years old.

If they transfer, and many do, they generally chose a lower level of the sport, armed with the information they have acquired on just how good they actually are. Those that try and stay at that level either do not believe what they have just experienced or just don’t accept it. Of course, sometimes they are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom