Why can't we run a real offense? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't we run a real offense?

" Now when Gerry was playing
Stop pushing the "Hop was pushed out" BS.

It. Is. Not. True.
It is well known that Jim didnt like the way the Chancellor set his retirement date. Its also very odd timing that Hop would suddenly leave SU as he was about to become its head coach after waiting so long. Last point do you really think that Hop would have left the program he loved and in doing so left guys like his good friends on the staff such as Red hanging? Maybe its all just coincidental.
Either way im happy for Mike as he is crushing it in Seattle and im Happy for Jim that he gets to coach his Son and leave on his time table vs the one that was pushed on him. In the end it will all work out, as SU is well positioned and John will either keep it in the family with Red or make a great hire.

We played Memphis in MSG in 2002 and San Diego State on the way ship in 2012.
We won one and lost one but both of those teams are on the level of the Virginia team we played Wednesday.
Our offense didn’t look pathetic in those games and in one of them the game was played outside on a windy ship deck.

We looked like a bunch of pickup basketball players on offense who never played before in their lives as everyone went 1 on 1 and just chucked up shots.

Coach Mac and UMass would have done better amirite?
Virginia's defense is the best in the country by far. Those other teams didn't play stifling defense. How are you supposed to go down low or drive and shoot when they have Huff back there. They have no weakness on defense. The only way to beat them is to be hot from long range 3's and draw them out of their sets. Coach Mac was a great guy, as for UMASS, I would like to see strong eastern football as I believe that would help Syracuse, not hurt it.

He is a great coach. One of the best if not the best current coach in college basketball.
He is one of those guys that will beat you his and then beat you with yours. His style reminds me of the Bob Knight Indiana style of Basketball.

Watching Syracuse mired in mediocrity the past 5 years or so makes me wonder what would have happened with Ray Meyer if he hadn't retired at age 70.

I hope JB lives as long as Ray, who died at 92, although I fear JB would be inclined to coach until they carried him out feet first.

Stop pushing the "Hop was pushed out" BS.

It. Is. Not. True.

In fact, it was likely more the exact opposite:

Hop didn’t want to be the guy to “push out” JB, when it became clearly obvious he did NOT want to leave on the timeline that was thrown out to try to appease the NCAA.

First off - we still got SLAMMED by the NCAA anyway, so JB be like “I fell on my sword for THIS?”

And secondly - Juli is on record stating multiple times how utterly miserable JB was during his 9 game suspension.
He got to see what his life without SU hoops would be like - and he did NOT like it at all.

I don’t know - maybe they could’ve gone on a trip to Europe and played a bunch of games over there to get a head start over their competition?

This wasn’t their first game together - that excuse is nonsense.
Playing some guys from an Italian CYO team is good practice for the Virginia Cavaliers. LOL.

In fact, it was likely more the exact opposite:

Hop didn’t want to be the guy to “push out” JB, when it became clearly obvious he did NOT want to leave on the timeline that was thrown out to try to appease the NCAA.

First off - we still got SLAMMED by the NCAA anyway, so JB be like “I fell on my sword for THIS?”

And secondly - Juli is on record stating multiple times how utterly miserable JB was during his 9 game suspension.
He got to see what his life without SU hoops would be like - and he did NOT like it at all.

100% accurate. Additionally, just as another poster alluded to in other thread recently, in short, the fact that JB is still coaching without any current intentions whatsoever to retire, simply speaks for itself.

We've been putrid to below average on offense, with "bad" being our standard, for 5+ seasons. We aren't developing anyone. We aren't fixing problems. JB is an all time great, but he might not be a top 75 coach in all of college basketball right now.

On defense yes, on offense, no way...not even close to top 75. We are putrid on offense and have been for at least 5 years.

" Now when Gerry was playing

It is well known that Jim didnt like the way the Chancellor set his retirement date. Its also very odd timing that Hop would suddenly leave SU as he was about to become its head coach after waiting so long. Last point do you really think that Hop would have left the program he loved and in doing so left guys like his good friends on the staff such as Red hanging? Maybe its all just coincidental.

Absolutely...

This is a great observation. Girard did exactly what you should do when you beat your man off the dribble and 2 guys rotate over to provide help. Just about every team at this level would have a player from the weak side cutting to the basket to fill the void left by the D rotating. Or, they would have a shooter sliding to the weak side corner for an uncontested 3. You can not defend the weak side corner on dribble penetration from the opposite wing because of the way help side rotations are made in just about every defense, including the zone.

Girard's instincts were correct. The problem is no one else on the floor seemed to recognize what they needed to do in this situation. This may sound subtle, but it's not. And there are multiple examples of this kind of thing every game.

Girard does indeed appear to have very good basketball instincts.

He did not get a good shot the entire game, but he showed me something against UVA.

Can’t run it if (a) you don’t recruit true point guards, (b) you don’t recruit players who have vision and can pass, and (c) don’t know how to install an offense that creates easier opportunities.
C is the only point that matters here. Point A depends on the offense you want to run. You don't necessarily need a true PG. Point B is all about coaching emphasis. Any college athlete can be a marginal passer with practice and most can become decent.
But a system needs to be practiced to be effective. It's no different than our zone D. It needs to be second nature.

I wonder what goes on in your head when it doesn't come to Cuse sports. Must be a magical ride.
Who do you think the Virginia Cavaliers are? They are one of the reigning super powers of college basketball. You and many others have your anti-Boeheim agenda and anything or anyone that goes against it is incapable of having any truth.

Who do you think the Virginia Cavaliers are? They are one of the reigning super powers of college basketball. You and many others have your anti-Boeheim agenda and anything or anyone that goes against it is incapable of having any truth.

They returned little talent from last year. Lol at “super power”. They’re a great program that recruits on the same or a lower level than us. They’ve got like 4 guys in the NBA. This is not Alabama football against Syracuse football. We compete on the same level. They just out execute us. The few times they didn’t - I mean, they didn’t even have the athletes to finish off a press break against us in the dance. They aren’t a super power.

Last edited:

I watched a game where the coach did exactly what people around here have been begging for out of him for 6 years, mixing in man, pushing the ball, feeding it inside and did it with a roster of guys who eirher weren't there last year or in Carter's case a roleplayer.

Baylor may not be as good as Virginia but they returned a lot from a team that beat us last year if you don't recall.

Im not anti JB and have never had an agenda against him but refusing to make adjustments when something isnt working over and over isnt just bad basketball it's dumb.

They returned little talent from last year. Lol at “super power”. They’re a great program that recruits on the same or a lower level than us. They’ve got like 4 guys in the NBA. This is not Alabama football against Syracuse football. We compete on the same level. They just out execute us. They few times they didn’t - I mean, they didn’t even have the athletes to finish off a press break against us in the dance. They aren’t a super power.
They are at the top the ACC every year. Bennet is one of the best younger coaches in the business. I guess people around here don't respect what he has built at Virginia or his national championship. Again, how are you supposed to get a new offensive unit together in game 1 against such a tough D and team? That is why teams like to play an easy OOC to work some things out.

Boeheim himself admitted at the press conference that he didn't do a good job coaching the offense against Virginia. It kind of startled me to hear him say that.

They are at the top the ACC every year. Bennet is one of the best younger coaches in the business. I guess people around here don't respect what he has built at Virginia or his national championship. Again, how are you supposed to get a new offensive unit together in game 1 against such a tough D and team? That is why teams like to play an easy OOC to work some things out.
This is just patently false. People here are in love with Bennett. There are posters who want him as our next coach (which is a total pipe dream, but a subject for a different thread).

Again, how are you supposed to get a new offensive unit together in game 1 against such a tough D and team? That is why teams like to play an easy OOC to work some things out.

New offensive unit? Marek, Buddy, and Hughes all played major minutes last year. Virginia is a great team but it doesnt excuse a 34 point output and Virginia only brought back 2 starters, it isn't the same team that won it all last year.

You know who had a brand new offense and played against a top 20 team and embraced a strong early schedule?

This is just patently false. People here are in love with Bennett. There are posters who want him as our next coach (which is a total pipe dream, but a subject for a different thread).

Sign me up for Bennett, unfortunately I think he has as much a chance of coming here as IJ does. (Im sorry i had to throw the joke in there 79)

People who are gas lighting the coach and team don't seem too aware of that fact. I think quite possibly this was good thing and the team doesn't lose again until ACC play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom