Why did we enter the Maui Invitational | Syracusefan.com

Why did we enter the Maui Invitational

DilemaCuse

All Conference
It was announced last year if I recall. We probably had no idea the field would be this strong but we also knew it's the strongest tournament with Atlantis. We also should have known that the program was on a decline with JB and 23-24 would either be his last year or it would be first year for a new coach. We saw what happened on the trip to Atlantis in 21. Was this something setup by JB thinking he wanted 1 more trip to Maui before retiring even though as a program we are in no position to win this tournament? It's just tough Adrian to step into this in his first year.

Who’s in it next year from the ACC wonder if we could have traded.

Wish I came here for football at Aloha stadium was gonna ask Herm about that but remembered they play in a high school stadium now.

It was announced last year if I recall. We probably had no idea the field would be this strong but we also knew it's the strongest tournament with Atlantis. We also should have known that the program was on a decline with JB and 23-24 would either be his last year or it would be first year for a new coach. We saw what happened on the trip to Atlantis in 21. Was this something setup by JB thinking he wanted 1 more trip to Maui before retiring even though as a program we are in no position to win this tournament? It's just tough Adrian to step into this in his first year.
My understanding is they at least knew they were going to be invited a couple years ago.

It’s a good set of tests. Valuable to see real weaknesses and strengths vs good teams than vs patsies at home.

Disproves the common complaint—by media and ourselves—that we don’t play anyone OoC.

Recruiting tool?

Can help SoS, if we were good enough to actually win some and then be in consideration for an NCAA bid.

Staff and admin families like to go?

It’s a good set of tests. Valuable to see real weaknesses and strengths vs good teams than vs patsies at home.

Disproves the common complaint—by media and ourselves—that we don’t play anyone OoC.

Recruiting tool?

Can help SoS, if we were good enough to actually win some and then be in consideration for an NCAA bid.

Staff and admin families like to go?
All true. Just bad timing.

Broadcast team pointed out that Red had been 9-0 in this tournament before Monday.

Stark contrast between where we’ve been and where we are.
Broadcast team with a long leash…..Syracuse was 9-0. Red as a player 3-0 and assistant 6-0 (was he here for wins 2&3?)
Big difference as a HC

We were invited and what athletic program would turn down this tournament. It has resulted in losses, but these big games against super experienced teams early are the best thing for this young team and the head coaches development long term. I actually like that while after this tournament we’re not playing top 15 teams until conference play, we still have power conference games in December where I think our chances of success increase than if we waited till LSU to play a power conference team.

Field is always strong. Win or lose it’s a great trip for the players. Aloha.
On paper, this field is the strongest it has ever been--5 teams in the top 11 plus UCLA at #25. In fact, it might be the toughest field ever in one of the pre-conference tournaments.

The field was assembled a year or more ago, when no one knew it would be quite this loaded.

we have been "Weighed, measured, and found wanting"
best to find out earlier than later. still time for corrections.
Some weaknesses are more readily addressable than others.

Assuming competent coaching, rebounding can be upgraded some, and the overall defense could improve as they get more comfortable with the mtm.

On the other hand, the shooting will probably not improve, and Mintz is unlikely to develop PG sensibilities.

We are Syracuse. Stop.

...do you think we feel a lot stronger tonight after the last two days?
First, you don’t turn down an invitation to one of the premiere pre-season tournaments in basketball.

Second, maybe not now, maybe not next week but teams learn and get better by playing better competition. It’s an odd team that seems to think they are better than they are, they should be humbled and realize a lot more energy and effort is gonna be needed to play elite teams.

Reds philosophy should be what are you gonna do play my system or am I s going to fill your spot via portal in the off-season? Forwards who can’t rebound, Chris always and JT recently Benny for 2 years plus. Can’t keep your guy in front of you, Bell, Judah, McLeod, JJ, JT, you should start looking at other options next year. I’d rather suck with players who play hard than be loaded with talented ones who don’t.

On paper, this field is the strongest it has ever been--5 teams in the top 11 plus UCLA at #25. In fact, it might be the toughest field ever in one of the pre-conference tournaments.

The field was assembled a year or more ago, when no one knew it would be quite this loaded.
Very impressive. Good to know.

Who’s in it next year from the ACC wonder if we could have traded.

Wish I came here for football at Aloha stadium was gonna ask Herm about that but remembered they play in a high school stadium now.

North Carolina in next year from the ACC, other teams include Memphis and Michigan State

Broadcast team pointed out that Red had been 9-0 in this tournament before Monday.

Stark contrast between where we’ve been and where we are.
We are still undefeated in Maui. This game was played on the Big Island.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom