Why didn't Dino Babers bring Eric Dungey back sooner? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Why didn't Dino Babers bring Eric Dungey back sooner?

I saw one QB do nothing and the other put up 55 points.

Guess you guys have gotten used to the moral victory thing or something.

Really odd to me.

I'm not comparing him to Dungey. Of course he didn't look as good as Dungey did. But it's possible to do an overall evaluation of his play without comparing him to Dungey.

1. You’re comparing him to what Dungey did.

2. A lot of the bad had nothing to do with him.

3. Expecting him to be great his first time under center isn’t really fair.

1. Of course I am. The head coach had him splitting 1st team reps with Dungey in the week leading up to the game. And the head coach put him in the first half of the first game of the season. And as was clearly demonstrated by the results - the game was nowhere near over. Because of those two things he should be compared to Dungey.

2. No doubt. And I never said they were.

3. I expected him to move the football and look sharp. He didn’t. And as I’ve said now multiple times. It’s not a big deal. I just think people should be honest about what happened out there. It’s a starting point - I trust that he will grow and learn.

You can’t compare a rFR to a Senior.
Experience matters a lot.
DeVito didn’t look overwhelmed.
Again he hasn’t played a snap at the D1 level before Friday.
He wasn’t Dungey but he wasn’t a bum either he showed some good and has tape to now look at and improve.

I don’t want TD playing if the game is competitive and ED is healthy but he is clearly got the potential to be a good college QB and if ED gets hurt our season isn’t over.

I'm not comparing him to Dungey. Of course he didn't look as good as Dungey did. But it's possible to do an overall evaluation of his play without comparing him to Dungey.

Well one thing we can all agree on is...

I hope he lights it up the next time coach puts him in!

And he very well may!

1. Of course I am. The head coach had him splitting 1st team reps with Dungey in the week leading up to the game. And the head coach put him in the first half of the first game of the season. And as was clearly demonstrated by the results - the game was no where near over. Because of those two things he should be compared to Dungey.

2. No doubt. And I never said they were.

3. I expected him to move the football and look sharp. He didn’t. And as I’ve said now multiple times. It’s not a big deal. I just think people should be honest about what happened out there. It’s a starting point - I trust that he will grow and learn.

1. Dungey getting hurt dictated that.

The last 2 drives of the game would have been TDs if we needed the
Instead we ran stretch runs or straight up the middle a lot of plays.
Dino called the dogs he could have kicked a FG as well to go up 23 if he cared. He wanted to run the clock and reduce the plays.
Not true. He wanted to choke them and should have made it a four score game. I understand and get the fourth down calls but this one didnt make sense.

1. Dungey getting hurt dictated that.

Ehh... if you say so.

Looked to me like Dungey was fine. He sure looked awesome when he got back in the game. If he was hurt he woulda been back in the locker room getting treatment not standing on the sideline looking pissed that he wasn’t in there and putting his helmet on before every new offensive possession.

Dino saw a chance to play with the new toy that he recruited. It was a really dumb choice.

Not true. He wanted to choke them and should have made it a four score game. I understand and get the fourth down calls but this one didnt make sense.
The play calls on 3rd and 4th down were very vanilla.
We ran into a stacked box and didn’t try to do anything but run.
First down was an option call.
Second down if ED was healthy he should have outran that DE shoestring tackle.
Third and Fourth down were straight runs and on the last drive we could have scored with any urgency. We let the clock run out.

Ehh... if you say so.

Looked to me like Dungey was fine. He sure looked awesome when he got back in the game. If he was hurt he woulda been back in the locker room getting treatment not standing on the sideline looking pissed that he wasn’t in there and putting his helmet on before every new offensive possession.

Dino saw a chance to play with the new toy that he recruited. It was a really dumb choice.
Dungey didn’t have the same burst when he came back in.
He was effective but if Dungey is healthy he doesn’t get caught by the DE on 2nd and goal on that drive.
Remember he hurt his leg and we called a TO so he wouldn’t miss a play.
He wasn’t beatup in this game.

Ehh... if you say so.

You realize DeVito is the top rated football recruit Syracuse has gotten in a decade.
Giving DeVito a series in the first half wasn’t the bad call. Again we won this game by 13. I say that is damn good job. We covered the point spread and the team has tape to watch and improve.
The first game wasn’t the Syracuse finished product.
Playing DeVito wasn’t bad.

You realize DeVito is the top rated football recruit Syracuse has gotten in a decade.
Giving DeVito a series in the first half wasn’t the bad call. Again we won this game by 13. I say that is damn good job. We covered the point spread and the team has tape to watch and improve.
The first game wasn’t the Syracuse finished product.
Playing DeVito wasn’t bad.

The timing made it an awful choice. Brutally bad. Leaving him in til it was a 6 point game was even worse.

Luckily Dungey saved him.

Ehh... if you say so.

I say so.

There are 2 passes I can thing of off the top of my head that he missed by a mile. One was a short throw to the left and the other is not quite as clear in my mind on the details but I remember thinking “way off” to myself on two throws.

Like I said in my response to Msorange. It’s no big deal that he didn’t play great. But let’s at least be honest with ourselves about it.

Watch the tape. It's not hard to do.

Your voraciously holding a position against people who actually rewatched it and know what they are talking about.

But have at it champ, really bolsters your credibility.

Watch the tape. It's not hard to do.

Your voraciously holding a position against people who actually rewatched it and know what they are talking about.

But have at it champ, really bolsters your credibility.

My credibility on a Syracuse football message board? Who gives a shiz. You act like any of this is important.

The reality is that he didn’t play well. You want to cling to the few positives he mustered. That’s fine.

The play calls on 3rd and 4th down were very vanilla.
We ran into a stacked box and didn’t try to do anything but run.
First down was an option call.
Second down if ED was healthy he should have outran that DE shoestring tackle.
Third and Fourth down were straight runs and on the last drive we could have scored with any urgency. We let the clock run out.
He tried to score.

I’m not getting onto DeVito’s play, but Nate is right in this thread.

Pulling Dungey and staying with TD for as long as he did is a Top 20 DuMas move among SU coaches I’ve watched in the last 40 years.

And that includes GRob, Shafe, Bad P and Frank Maloney.

That’s not negated by Eric having some gymnast tape and a bag of ice cubes on his shoulder after the game.

Everyone understood coming in that winning this game was crucial to any hope of going to a bowl this year, which feels like a minimum expectation if Dino is to be the guy going forward.

Dino couldn’t resist playing with the new toy and found an excuse.

Reckless, stubborn and just not smart.

I'm with Dino, but dumb coaching needs to be called out.

Last edited:
I see at end of half not a bad idea. To start 3rd quarter and get a couple scores and keep momentum so that devito can play end of third and all of fourth. I am all Babers too but it was really dumb. Not kinda, really dumb. We shoulda won 70-7 and then teams we are gonna play would be thinking a little bit more.

I watched the tape...ZERO bad passes from TD

Some bad blocking, but whenever there was a chance to throw it was on the money.

In fact, it’s possible that Butler gave up on the ball because Dungey had missed a couple deep balls by about 10 yards, so it happens (Not defending butler here).

But I don’t know what the bad passes were, even the out hit Custis on the hand and was away from the defender.

As a coach you look at the situation and make your move. Babers saw a big lead, ED possibly hurt, the D playing well and made his call to get TD some quality PT. Honestly, as a coach you wouldn't expect the poop to hit the fan as quickly as it did and imo, yanking TD out too quickly sends the wrong message. I think in the big picture what Babers did was the best for the whole team. Honestly who at that point of the game would have thought that Pierce would fumble, the OL fall apart and the D to let so many big plays in that span? It was the perfect storm.

I see at end of half not a bad idea. To start 3rd quarter and get a couple scores and keep momentum so that devito can play end of third and all of fourth. I am all Babers too but it was really dumb. Not kinda, really dumb. We shoulda won 70-7 and then teams we are gonna play would be thinking a little bit more.

What does running up the score buy you? And what difference does it make to opponents?

SU is no more "back" and inherently better whether the score was 55-42 or 70-7. It makes NO difference.

Fact is Devito and the team got snaps under pressure, not garbage time. You hope it goes better but at the end of day the TEAM, not Devito didn't respond well. You want to challenge the them to step up their play, not feed the obvious over reliance that they have on Dungey.

I guess you could say that way too but it’s not like devito wouldn’t have played. We got lucky to win that. I just thought the timing was bad. The idea was good but bad timing. I agree he needs to play and ur right the team sheet the bed on him but later on when no matter what happens we win. We can’t afford a loss.

TD got to play against the 1st team D with the first team O. That is valuable experience. It's also quite possible that it set off the WMU D thinking, "Hey, they think they're kicking our butt and put a freshman in?" They seemed to stunt and blitz with TD in as any good DC would do when he sees new blood. Again, I'm more disappointed with the SU OL.

TD got to play against the 1st team D with the first team O. That is valuable experience. It's also quite possible that it set off the WMU D thinking, "Hey, they think they're kicking our butt and put a freshman in?" They seemed to stunt and blitz with TD in as any good DC would do when he sees new blood. Again, I'm more disappointed with the SU OL.

#59 in particular. Getting beat to the inside repeatedly. Ridiculous

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom