Why didn't we offer Huerter for 2017 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why didn't we offer Huerter for 2017

We won more games with lesser rated recruits from 2009 to 2013 outside of about 3 guys.

Yeah, but we did have top 10 Fab and top 25 waiters on the 2012 team. Just goes to show what these highly rated guys can do.

We also had 4 year guys who were solid and progressed not into superstars but compliments to the really talented guys.

Now we can't find 4 year guys because they stink out the gate and move them on, and we don't have stars.

Whatever, our recruiting has been less than impressive the last few years. We are getting killed on the recruiting trail. I live in albany and how Huerters dad who played at siena. Sad, he didn't go to the cuse. We could use guys like this. Size, smarts, pedigree. But, apparently, we dont care about that. We are lost in recruiting the last 3-5 years.
Not for nothing but we do have this thing called NCAA scholarship restrictions that is still penalizing us. And let's go back to your 3 to 5 years where you say we are lost. Here are the players in that time frame that left Cuse early for the NBA. Seven guys. You know how many other schools lost that many players due to early entrants? I'm going to guess maybe one other school.
2012 Dion and Fab
2013 MCW
2014 Grant and Ennis
2015 CMac
2016 Malachi

So not only did we have less scholarships to use but there are a few guys on that list that no one expected to leave early. And when they announced in March or April they were leaving it was too late at that point to get involved with anyone else. Then you have another guy like DC on the team who has been injured. That's another scholarship that's basically been non-productive.

Did we miss on some kids. Absolutely. But so did every other school in the country. Once we get back to 13 scholarships and stop losing kids unexpectedly, there is no reason Cuse won't be back in business. No matter who the coach is.

I'd say inconsistent.

This year was good, ESP if you count the grad transfers.

2015 was mixed, with Mali and Lydon but also Frank Howard who lets be honest is probably done here, and the guy who never made it to campus.

2014 was a bust.

2013 was also pretty disapointing. A five man class that produced one good college player who left after one year.
That's part of my point. Most here get way too caught up in rankings. Howard was a 4 star top 100 recruit. Many of our misses were ranked fairly high. I mean Kaleb Joseph I believe was top 75. Coleman Micky Ds AA. The same people complaining we are not getting the top 20 talent are also complaining we don't have 4 yr program guys who develop over time.

By no means am I bagging on Huerter but I take Battle over Huerter every day.

Not for nothing but we do have this thing called NCAA scholarship restrictions that is still penalizing us. And let's go back to your 3 to 5 years where you say we are lost. Here are the players in that time frame that left Cuse early for the NBA. Seven guys. You know how many other schools lost that many players due to early entrants? I'm going to guess maybe one other school.
2012 Dion and Fab
2013 MCW
2014 Grant and Ennis
2015 CMac
2016 Malachi

So not only did we have less scholarships to use but there are a few guys on that list that no one expected to leave early. And when they announced in March or April they were leaving it was too late at that point to get involved with anyone else. Then you have another guy like DC on the team who has been injured. That's another scholarship that's basically been non-productive.

Did we miss on some kids. Absolutely. But so did every other school in the country. Once we get back to 13 scholarships and stop losing kids unexpectedly, there is no reason Cuse won't be back in business. No matter who the coach is.

2 guys on that list were a "shock". But with Grant and Ennis the writing was on the wall before even half the season was over. Poor planning.

Yeah, but we did have top 10 Fab and top 25 waiters on the 2012 team. Just goes to show what these highly rated guys can do.

We also had 4 year guys who were solid and progressed not into superstars but compliments to the really talented guys.

Now we can't find 4 year guys because they stink out the gate and move them on, and we don't have stars.

Yeah I was counting Fab/MCW/Dion. We really only got one great year out of them each.

The rest of those core guys Joseph/Triche/Scoop/Fair/Southerland/Rautins were back end top 100 to 3 star guys.

It really kills is that we have been disposing guys so quickly the past couple years IMO.

2 guys on that list were a "shock". But with Grant and Ennis the writing was on the wall before even half the season was over. Poor planning.
I think you are taking liberties with Ennis. His shot vs Pittsburgh wasn't until Feb 13th of that year. I don't remember his name being thrown out there until after that. And at that point we were stuck with Kaleb to be our starting point guard the following season. So it was a moot point at that time.

Yeah I was counting Fab/MCW/Dion. We really only got one great year out of them each.

The rest of those core guys Joseph/Triche/Scoop/Fair/Southerland/Rautins were back end top 100 to 3 star guys.

It really kills is that we have been disposing guys so quickly the past couple years IMO.

Those core guys were not stars (Fair was awesome), but when Roberson our only 4 year guy doesn't compare to anybody on the list and he was our best recent core guy (well, only one to last) were in big trouble. I thought McCullough would be that big impact guy but outside of him it's Battle and that's about it. We need top guys, they just don't want to come here.

BJ is the one guy who had talent for the ACC. The only other guys to transfer out were Patterson and Obokoh. Is anyone convinced they could have helped.

The entire BJ think was messed up from day one. No matter who's fault it was (the coaches or his dad) he should have redshirted his freshman year. He would have been a good four year guy.

I think you are taking liberties with Ennis. His shot vs Pittsburgh wasn't until Feb 13th of that year. I don't remember his name being thrown out there until after that. And at that point we were stuck with Kaleb to be our starting point guard the following season. So it was a moot point at that time.

It took a half court shot for him to get noticed? NBA gms are not stupid.

We were number one and were undefeated. He was clearly on the radar.

BJ is the one guy who had talent for the ACC. The only other guys to transfer out were Patterson and Obokoh. Is anyone convinced they could have helped.

The entire BJ think was messed up from day one. No matter who's fault it was (the coaches or his dad) he should have redshirted his freshman year. He would have been a good four year guy.

Kaleb transferred as well. Howard is a bust.

That's a LOT of guys in such a short time.

It was close, but I think Roberson was ranked ahead of Battle by the time he graduated high school.

Kaleb transferred as well. Howard is a bust.

That's a LOT of guys in such a short time.
Absolutely it is a lot of guys. Kaleb was ranked 50th so he just didn't develop. He definitely had an opportunity here. A lot of people thought Howard was going to blow up and be a star this year. That was part of the reason that the expectations were so high. Coming out of HS, he wasn't as highly ranked but was offered by Virginia, Maryland, NC State, Ohio St, Georgetown and that is a decent list of schools.

Chinoso, Patterson, BJ, Howard, and Kaleb all should've been on the roster this year and they all were told to take a hike or in Howard's case be told to take a hike.

I don't know if we've ever had that many HUGE misses in such a short period of time.

Right now we have no point guard next year, no small forward and will either rely on a bad center and a freshman.

Recruiting has not been good compared to what we used to do before.[/QUOTE]
While I agree with you - I think part of this has to do with guys leaving earlier than expected as well.

Absolutely it is a lot of guys. Kaleb was ranked 50th so he just didn't develop. He definitely had an opportunity here. A lot of people thought Howard was going to blow up and be a star this year. That was part of the reason that the expectations were so high. Coming out of HS, he wasn't as highly ranked but was offered by Virginia, Maryland, NC State, Ohio St, Georgetown and that is a decent list of schools.
re: Joseph.

The killer is Monte Morris and Ja'Quan Newton.

Don't care about higher rated guys. Its about recruiting winning players. Our recruiting of guys that look good getting off the bus, has gotten us where?
You just like to troll don't you.

In a couple threads you talk about top 30 or 50 recruits. Now you say you don't care about higher rated guys.

I never have blocked anyone before but you are coming close. Greensboro may not be the only thing with no value.

Don't care about higher rated guys. Its about recruiting winning players. Our recruiting of guys that look good getting off the bus, has gotten us where?[/
Don't care about higher rated guys. Its about recruiting winning players. Our recruiting of guys that look good getting off the bus, has gotten us where?
So Huerter is a winner but the other guys aren't? What has he won? I'm thinking you are allowing your knowing his father cloud your judgement. Once again Battle is a better player than Huerter right now. I'm not sure who looks better getting off the bus though...

re: Joseph.

The killer is Monte Morris and Ja'Quan Newton.
Here is a great article from 30 years ago that talks about Syracuse losing out on top recruits. Every Syracuse fan needs to read this and this same article could be written about every top program. You just don't nail it 100% of the time. Look at the NBA and NFL draft. It's the same thing.

So everyone read this article and just be happy that Cuse basketball has survived since 1987.
Syracuse Basketball Is Facing a Shutout in Recruiting of Athletes

I don't really see it as a recruiting problem moreso as a roster management problem. it doesn't really matter thought. we are just playing out the string until our old, zone coach moves on and then it is rebuild time.

Huerter would have helped the team this year and for the next few years. I think he could have bought some minutes at PG and pretty much been a step up from Frank. Don't blame him for moving on. I think roster and scholly management has not been stellar in wake of sanctions.

Haven't read this thread, so it may have been mentioned already. You don't get Battle if you offer Huerter for 2016. They wanted him to reclassify and his father wasn't having it. If he went to the '17 class, highly likely he's in Orange next season.

They did not have an additional scholarship to offer because of the sanctions.

Last edited:
You just like to troll don't you.

In a couple threads you talk about top 30 or 50 recruits. Now you say you don't care about higher rated guys.

I never have blocked anyone before but you are coming close. Greensboro may not be the only thing with no value.

It's apparent some folks around here are better off staying on the football board but they'd rather parachute in here around March spewing nonsense. It's like when Mike Francesa all of a sudden wants to talk college hoops after the Selection Show.

Bottom line: the staff has had some recruiting highs and lows. I'm not a fan of how we have attacked this incoming class strategically but hopefully we will still wind up with a representative class.

Here is a great article from 30 years ago that talks about Syracuse losing out on top recruits. Every Syracuse fan needs to read this and this same article could be written about every top program. You just don't nail it 100% of the time. Look at the NBA and NFL draft. It's the same thing.

So everyone read this article and just be happy that Cuse basketball has survived since 1987.
Syracuse Basketball Is Facing a Shutout in Recruiting of Athletes

Great find. Some bigtime names on that list. Of course, we wound up getting Owens the following year, so yeah, not the end of the world.

I think the impact of the sanctions have been overblown, but this is the one kid that we lost because of those sanctions.

I wish we sued the NCAA already. They gave us our 11th scholarship back so late in the game we really couldn't use it on anybody good it had to be a natural transfer or grad transfer.

If we were given that 11th scholarship back earlier we likely could have gotten this kid. He is exactly what we need a tall guard who at the top of the zone would fit and can shoot 3's.
Also he looks like a 3-4 year player.

Sue the NCAA. Get JB his wins back and argue the NCAA process wasn't handled with due process and rulings were delayed to our detriment. If we survived summary judgment we could discovery all email exchanges and see what the NCAA was thinking. The Penn State lawsuit against the NCAA is why they caved against them they knew they would lose in court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom