Why has Marrone gone "him against the fans"? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why has Marrone gone "him against the fans"?

They will come back when we win. Good luck with that strategy.

We barely draw 20k for a top 5 basketball team when we play crappy teams.

The guy gets paid $1,000,000 a year to win football games, he was also an OC in the NFL. I doubt the guy is coaching for "fun" anymore. What world do you live in? It's his career, he knows the stakes, knows he is well paid for it but it comes at a cost, win or you get canned. That said, JB said just last week stated that he does not have fun coaching basketball, he gets paid for it, if he wanted to have fun he would play golf, his words not mine

Again, you may care about this stuff Stern but the vast majority don't. Again, you cancelled your tix which is the right choice if it bothers you that much. Yet you still come to an internet forum to discuss the program, etc. Pounde your chest and tell everyone that you cancelled and you Syracuse University has wronged you somehow. What do they owe you? What does Marrone owe you? A depth chart a recruiting dinner with cheese and crackers for recruiting geeks? Seems weird no? I bitch sure but the day I cancel my tickets is the day I just say F it all and quit following the team. So you will still follow the team but won't buy seasons to prove a point? strange, yeah because the football program is just rolling in it up there, they should sell $100 seasons and let guys like you call the plays or something. Marrone has a job to do and he will do it, if he does not he will be fired. he licked the fanbases nuts for 3 years and it got him nowhere. I am not a huge fan of Marrone by any means actually quite the contrary but this mentality that Marrone owes the fans more is asinine. he tried it did not work, so he is focusing on X's and O's.

Again, he isn't really even pissing anyone off but a select few whiners. This will make no difference on attendance regardless of this guy saying he knows a guy and he knows another guy that cancelled his seasons. What is wrong with Syracuse?

i think the touchy feely college stuff is weird. i'm just not interested in practice, rubber chicken, handshakes, autographs, motivational speeches. if people are so bored by the games that they stay home, why would anyone care about that other stuff

i really doubt there are that many people who stay home out of spite. they stay home because the games aren't fun enough.

if marrone's like me, he knows this year is going to suck so hunker down, take your lumps, get through it, and hope to god the next qb can make something happen

I do think that SU should blow up the Dome pricing for football and start over. There is way too much inequity considering how cozy the facility is, and also how it lacks all the club stuff you get today at other stadiums. As far as those that complain about parking, go to another college facility then get back to us.

As far as Marrone goes...he holds a Monday lunch, from reports here is almost never full. He brought the hometown kid in to QB, and a % of our knuckleheaded fans booed him. He did hold open practices, not like there were 4000 people watching. It's just about winning, and getting through this season so we can go to the ACC.

Well said, what is they guy suppose to do keep beating a dead horse, maybe he should post here

I think it would be really interesting if they implemented a pay what you want for tickets policy like some bands do.

I do think that SU should blow up the Dome pricing for football and start over. There is way too much inequity considering how cozy the facility is, and also how it lacks all the club stuff you get today at other stadiums. As far as those that complain about parking, go to another college facility then get back to us.

As far as Marrone goes...he holds a Monday lunch, from reports here is almost never full. He brought the hometown kid in to QB, and a % of our knuckleheaded fans booed him. He did hold open practices, not like there were 4000 people watching. It's just about winning, and getting through this season so we can go to the ACC.

Well said, what is they guy suppose to do keep beating a dead horse, maybe he should post here

Maybe he and SU should have a strategy on embracing the fans and bringing them back into the fold. The actions are counter intuitive.

they booed him because he went to puke for hoops- and he couldnt throw a pass over 5 yards

marrone came in and talked of a plan-he just didnt tell us the plan was to bore the world to death with a conservative offense -
he came in as a offensive guy who would right the offense- 3 years of missionary style offense has cooled down the fan base-

so you come in and make stagnant look good and get hissy because the fan base has seen enough?

some guys just dont have the "head" to be lead dog-marrone just may be one of them

I agree about the pricing structure and the Monday lunch is a great thing no issue there but your way off base on the parking. The parking situation is an absolute nightmare and being made worse every year, Uconn of all schools does parking right was there last year and loved there set up.

they booed him because he went to puke for hoops...

Fans that booed Paulus because he went to Duke (or still hold that against him) are really selfish and childish. Frankly if those fans chose to stay away from the Dome it'd be a better game experience, I'd rather be around 25,000 adults than a full Dome half filled with imbeciles.

Maybe he and SU should have a strategy on embracing the fans and bringing them back into the fold. The actions are counter intuitive.

I see your point here Bees. :) I think they have tried in years past and have not been successful, your point is try another strategy and I won't arugue with trying something else but I think their outlook is they have tried quite a bit and have been very unsuccesful in their efforts

good lord guys-its not about $$$ of tickets or where to park

ITS A TOTAL LACK OF A SELL-ABLE PRODUCT

people are sick of watching no offense football- it sucks to walk out disappointed game after game year after year

then to make sure the knife is stuck in real good,the good doctor sells the best ooc games to another state and tells us they are home games get used to it, i wont let you guys watch any great ooc teams unless its close to nyc-i want those fans more than the ones who actually go

Fans that booed Paulus because he went to Duke (or still hold that against him) are really selfish and childish. Frankly if those fans chose to stay away from the Dome it'd be a better game experience, I'd rather be around 25,000 adults than a full Dome half filled with imbeciles.
like it or not thats was the reason-btw su is a hoops school so you will have a few at football games

I don't understand the recruiting event cancellation, but I respectfully disagree with the notion that he isn't fan friendly. What other coach hosted a Monday event every day during the season for the average fan? I can't think of one and, for that matter, I can't imagine Boeheim, whom everyone is comparing Marrone to, ever considering something like this.

Winning solves all of these issues. If this is what Doug needs to do to win, I'm all for it.

jimmy did a show for years-
most coach's do a weekday thing for the fans-su didnt start it -they followed

At the present time, I think there are far too many Preferred C and D seats that go unsold every season. However, SU just eliminated a bunch of preferred seats several years ago (preferred used to extend up to Row W in the upper decks, now it only extends to Row O). I don't see them reducing that number any further. The problem is, how to you convince people to pay $205 for great sideline seats when they can pay $99 for great endzone seats to watch the same lousy football.

The Monday lunches have a pretty good crowd of 50-60 regulars every week, and the place was SRO after the WV win.

I don't understand the recruiting event cancellation, but I respectfully disagree with the notion that he isn't fan friendly. What other coach hosted a Monday event every day during the season for the average fan? I can't think of one and, for that matter, I can't imagine Boeheim, whom everyone is comparing Marrone to, ever considering something like this.

Winning solves all of these issues. If this is what Doug needs to do to win, I'm all for it.

Boehiem does a live radio show at a local restaurant where locals can ask questions, its pretty similar.

We barely draw 20k for a top 5 basketball team when we play crappy teams.

Yeah, because 20,000+ for a basketball game against a crappy team is just so terrible (caution: sarcasm).

Boehiem does a live radio show at a local restaurant where locals can ask questions, its pretty similar.

Marrone does that same show. All coaches do shows for extra scratch.

Doug's Monday gathering, from what I hear, is very, very different and one where he discloses non-public information, is not a media event and one which he doesn't get paid for. Very different animal.

At the very least, SU has a perception tied to the football program that it isn't fan friendly. Not only does this alienate the team's current supporters, that they can't afford to lose, but it does nothing to bring in anyone new to Syracuse football.

Following both the Michigan and Syracuse football programs, it's amazing how stark the difference is in the way both have approached rebuilding the program. Expecting Syracuse to be Michigan is unrealistic, but embracing the fanbase as a way to generate support for the program as it rebuilds should be a no-brainer.

When Hoke was hired, he went across the country and made appearances in cities with large alumni concentrations like New York, D.C., Chicago, etc. to talk to and meet the alumni to generate support for the rebuilding process. The program went on the road and held events around the state. They held events for high school coaches to build those relationships. Meanwhile, our program looks like its behind the iron curtain.

This is the kind of stuff that Michigan is doing for spring practice:
http://mgoblog.com/content/spring-practice-presser-transcript-3-27-12-ricky-barnum-and-taylor-lewan
http://mgoblog.com/content/spring-practice-presser-transcript-3-22-12-players
http://mgoblog.com/content/spring-practice-presser-transcript-3-22-12-brady-hoke

Why the hell can't we be doing simple things that?

At the very least, SU has a perception tied to the football program that it isn't fan friendly. Not only does this alienate the team's current supporters, that they can't afford to lose, but it does nothing to bring in anyone new to Syracuse football.

Following both the Michigan and Syracuse football programs, it's amazing how stark the difference is in the way both have approached rebuilding the program. Expecting Syracuse to be Michigan is unrealistic, but embracing the fanbase as a way to generate support for the program as it rebuilds should be a no-brainer.

When Hoke was hired, he went across the country and made appearances in cities with large alumni concentrations like New York, D.C., Chicago, etc. to talk to and meet the alumni to generate support for the rebuilding process. The program went on the road and held events around the state. They held events for high school coaches to build those relationships. Meanwhile, our program looks like its behind the iron curtain.

This is the kind of stuff that Michigan is doing for spring practice:
http://mgoblog.com/content/spring-practice-presser-transcript-3-27-12-ricky-barnum-and-taylor-lewan
http://mgoblog.com/content/spring-practice-presser-transcript-3-22-12-players
http://mgoblog.com/content/spring-practice-presser-transcript-3-22-12-brady-hoke

Why the hell can't we be doing simple things that?

I seem to remember Doug doing many of these events when he came on board, including one in Boston, etc. and I know has done quite a bit with the coaching clinics.

I think people are really, really starting to stretch in some of these posts.

Other coaches do the same thing. JB does too and I think that Monday lunch is something that has been done for years.

Wow, I'm floored at the reaction of posters. There couldn't have been a coach who was more fan friendly the first couple of years. From the bus tours, to speaking engagements, to radio/TV interviews, etc, Marrone was everywhere. What did it do for attendance? Nothing. I'd rather him spend time on coaching and recruiting to build a winner. Does the basketball team have recruiting events? Not that I'm aware of. Do they release depth charts? Not that I'm aware of. Everyone wants us to be Alabama. Guess what...we aren't. I give the coach the benefit of the doubt.

Other coaches do the same thing. JB does too and I think that Monday lunch is something that has been done for years.
Bees, does JB do it every week without the media present? I was unaware Boeheim did this and it was also my impression that in other cases (non-SU), it was a donor's lunch (as opposed to a Joe Fan event). Thanks.

Wow, I'm floored at the reaction of posters. There couldn't have been a coach who was more fan friendly the first couple of years. From the bus tours, to speaking engagements, to radio/TV interviews, etc, Marrone was everywhere. What did it do for attendance? Nothing. I'd rather him spend time on coaching and recruiting to build a winner. Does the basketball team have recruiting events? Not that I'm aware of. Do they release depth charts? Not that I'm aware of. Everyone wants us to be Alabama. Guess what...we aren't. I give the coach the benefit of the doubt.

This statement is not fact and cannot be proven true. First, there are coaches who have and continue to be more fan friendly. Second, if he didn't do that, I would bet good money that it would have been even worse.

I agree about the pricing structure and the Monday lunch is a great thing no issue there but your way off base on the parking. The parking situation is an absolute nightmare and being made worse every year, Uconn of all schools does parking right was there last year and loved there set up.

UConn has a stadium 30 miles away from campus in the middle of an old airfield. So much for that "on-campus" tailgatey feel.

Maybe SU should build you a new stadium in Weedsport.

Reactions: CIL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom