Why has Marrone gone "him against the fans"? | Syracusefan.com

Why has Marrone gone "him against the fans"?

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Yea, I know a few will jump up and down about that statement. But while no one thing here can be made a big deal out of, you can begin to see the cumulative effect of decisions made about things the FANS look forward too. Recruiting event? Sorry. Open spring practice after it was said they would be? Sorry. Depth chart (that fans like to "analyze")? Sorry. Every decision is counter to what Joe Fan would like. Between his bunker attitude and the many decisions made by the AD that is clearly anti-fan, I'm beginning to wonder if they want any fans or if they want the fans to be part of things. I'd think they would try to pump up the fan base. Guess not.

What's good for the fan is not good for the program, I guess.

Of course, it's been communicated quite clearly to me by others on this board that Syracuse fans are dumb and can go stuff themselves, so maybe it's true.

Oh Lord

He has done a complete 180 from where he started. Everything that he promised when he first got here, he has ditched in year 3. One of the biggest problems with the program is the lack of a consistent fan base. In the ACC you would think they would want 40K+ every game. They will not be close to that this year imo.

They should be doing everything they can to get fans (esp after 5 losses to end the season) Instead they are alienating them.

I would just like updated measurements on the players, I dont really care where they stand on the current depth chart.

A reservoir of good will can help a coach out in a tight spot.

I was thinking this exact same thing today. I went over to MrSEC.com today and was amazed at the level of coverage of the SEC schools spring practices. Here we are 1 week into the spring season and we haven't heard as much as a Welcome presser for the new coaches.

At this point, HCDM is losing serious points with me.

I was thinking this exact same thing today. I went over to MrSEC.com today and was amazed at the level of coverage of the SEC schools spring practices. Here we are 1 week into the spring season and we haven't heard as much as a Welcome presser for the new coaches.

Did he ever even formally introduce them? or make any comments on them?.. I may have missed it in the basketball fever

syracuse has the wrong zip code -the good doctor wants a zip code in nyc-so he spends money down there

they take the locals for granted-second class citizens compared to the nyc alumni he covets

why else take away the best ooc teams for the next decade?

in all reality what has syracuse done for football other than new field turf? 1 turd hire and the second is showing signs of becoming a hermit bunkered down in a fight against the fans

Compare SEC pre season basketball coverage to SU/BE. That is your difference.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Yeah, but at least the SEC preseason basketball gets a mention in their local press. I'm not saying we need SEC styled 4star preseason coverage, but a "State of the Program" presser to kick off the season isn't asking for much.

HCDM fired a beloved player/coach last fall. At least introduce the new coaches to the family...

It is on page 273 of his book. Get the fans all behind you and then turn on them. Fans like a good guy, but love to hate the bad guy. They will show up in greater numbers. Then turn back to a good guy and all will be forgiven.

I'm hoping these decisions are being made based on what Marrone sees as the best situation for these players and for the team THIS YEAR. In my mind the bottom line is- if SU's offense begins to roll in 2012 no one will care about this spring.

I expect the defense to be competitive this year- closer to 2010 than 2009 or 2011. Go offense. Every year since '99 I've been hoping for an offense that moves the ball consistently and that scores a lot of points. If Marrone delivers that this year I suspect that the program will open up again next spring because that was Marrone's initial plan.

A lot of young players who are also Marrone recruits are in a position this year to win playing time on both sides of the ball. If Marrone wants to shake things up because he believes it will foster competition right now then I say go for it. I just hope it works out in the end, and only time will tell.

You'll know if DM has really stuck it to the fans if he cancels the Fanfest event in August.

Honestly I think your nuts. I'm a huge fan don't miss a game but it is what it is. Probably 200 fans that even care about depth charts ext. would it be nice yes. But really not a big deal IMO I want wins and mostly good kids. That's only thing that matters

the players effort should be there regardless -thats why winning programs have depth carts,it is supposed to give drive to those who think they are better-

this comes across as a move to cuddle the ego's of spoiled kids-imho

Talk about same old same old you harping on dumb off season details like they have any relevance to anything regarding attendance, what next you complaining how $99 tix are not affordable? Please. As you said, keep on keeping on. Marrone catered to the fan base for 3 years and it got him nowhere so why waste the time, the diehards are all that is left and they will show up. He knows winning is the only answer if that even is because Syracuse is full of people like yourself that feel for $125 they are entitled to more than season tix while most spent more than that pregaming in Boston for the game Saturday

You also need to get out more if you don't think facilities aren't a huge issue for this program right now. Yes they were problems for p and grob as well.

Just bought 4 for USC game today with a smile on my face... Nice seats

I just do not understand how not releasing a depth chart helps you win. They obviously have one, how else would they organize practice. Also, I do not get why the practices are closed. Unless they think there is a spy that is taping their new offense. The kids will play in front of people in the fall. And a signing day event I REALLY do not get, it is the best way to get fans excited. Everyone always gets pumped about recruits why not sell that?

If we win 8 games this year, obviously this will not matter. Wins are everything in the profession. But if they struggle this year like I think they will, it will be very tough to draw fans and get support.

Talk about same old same old you harping on dumb off season details like they have any relevance to anything regarding attendance, what next you complaining how $99 tix are not affordable? Please. As you said, keep on keeping on. Marrone catered to the fan base for 3 years and it got him nowhere so why waste the time, the diehards are all that is left and they will show up. He knows winning is the only answer if that even is because Syracuse is full of people like yourself that feel for $125 they are entitled to more than season tix while most spent more than that pregaming in Boston for the game Saturday

You also need to get out more if you don't think facilities aren't a huge issue for this program right now. Yes they were problems for p and grob as well.

Just bought 4 for USC game today with a smile on my face... Nice seats

Way to miss the point. Think cumulative of what the message is to the fan base.

I just do not understand how not releasing a depth chart helps you win. They obviously have one, how else would they organize practice. Also, I do not get why the practices are closed. Unless they think there is a spy that is taping their new offense. The kids will play in front of people in the fall. And a signing day event I REALLY do not get, it is the best way to get fans excited. Everyone always gets pumped about recruits why not sell that?

If we win 8 games this year, obviously this will not matter. Wins are everything in the profession. But if they struggle this year like I think they will, it will be very tough to draw fans and get support.

Yes, if the team struggles in 2012 the fan support will wither even more, and releasing the pre-spring depth chart has very little impact on fan support compared to wins and losses. I prefer that it be released, but if Marrone thinks it will help foster competition and improve the team THIS YEAR then by all means that's what he is paid to do. He's the captain of this ship, and I think his decision is based purely on what he believes will help the team this year.

I think you are over analyzing things, most people don't even realize Marrone has done anything different and those that do, don't really care, it has no effect on things anymore, they need to win.

The message is Marrone is tired of wasting his time catering to a dwindling front running fan base and this type of fan base is tired of losing, winning is the only thing that will bring them back not spring practices or recruiting functions, those people are most likely not going anywhere but here to whine about it.

If they win, fans will show up, if not they won't. This stuff matters to a minor % of posters here, nevermind the fanbase at large. It's only about winning, DC Cuse is showing up whether there is a press conference about Danny Conley or not.

Alumni over locals... It's crazy because once you lose a customer these days they aren't coming back. And its also ironic because I believe the reason we have so many fans coming to games everywhere is because a ton of locals moved! I would bet you theres a 3 to 1 ratio of locals to alumni that fill up away game basketball and football games. The message is clear and locals talk to local. It will ripple eventually.

And regarding $99, its just the starting point. My time is worth a lot of money as well. Same goes for the rest of the poor locals.

The SUAD seems pretty "friendly" when it comes to hoops. Is football really that different? Would they consciously do things to hurt football fans while fostering good relations with hoops fans?

I have a hard time getting too worked up about this stuff. I'm not disputing that Marrone may have retreated into his bunker, but I'm not sure how much it matters at this point. We have another 5 (or less) win season and attendance will blow and fans will be apathetic regardless.

This isn't just a failure on the part of Marrone, its a failure on the entire athletic department.

How can a group of people handle the BBall PR with such effortless grace, then totally up the Football promotions? Remember the midnight madness for BBall? It was EPIC! Remember fan-fest from 2011? Neither do I. Marrone did a good enough job alienating the fanbase with his performance to end the 2011 season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom