Why has Marrone gone "him against the fans"? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Why has Marrone gone "him against the fans"?

Yeah unfortunately thats not the answer for hundreds of people and tailgaters, where is everyone supposed to park? Also do you think SU is going to let 500-1000 people set up on the Quad like that? No freeking way.

We walk everything up to the quad and walk it down before the game.

You said there was no on-campus feel at Syracuse games, and you are incorrect. The university sets things up themselves on the quad too. So even if you don't want to have a setup, there's alternatives right in the middle of the campus.

It's your choice to go tailgate somewhere else. There are other options for those of us who do want the on-campus experience which is available.

Maybe he and SU should have a strategy on embracing the fans and bringing them back into the fold. The actions are counter intuitive.

Yeah, because they haven't tried.:bang:

What has happened to you?

Again I am not talking about traffic I am discussing the issues with parking, that garage you speak of is probably great for you but doesnt work for tailgating at all. I do agree with you that traffic is not that bad sure it backs up for a while but thats why you have a beer or two after the game in an hour or so its all clear.

Park in the neighborhoods on kids' lawns for a few bucks. As long as you're not on the sidewalk you're fine. We did it when I was in school.

There's plenty of choices, that's just another one. Very few people actually get creative.

I seem to remember Doug doing many of these events when he came on board, including one in Boston, etc. and I know has done quite a bit with the coaching clinics.

I think people are really, really starting to stretch in some of these posts.

People feel compelled to lie.

He did nothing but go the extra mile to build a bridge to the community and fan base and selling the program. Invested time, money, and effort. And you know what it returned, little to nothing. Marginal increase in ticket sales, zero in loyalty, patience, or slack from the fan base. Wasted effort.

Time and energy are finite resources.

It's an investment decision, pure and simple.

LOL thats nonsense, SU had pretty good sized crowds for the first home game each of Doug's first three seasons and two years ago we were getting really good crowds when we went on the road and beat USF, Cincy, WVU, etc. Unfortunately SU's offense completely tanked in those home games two years ago and we didnt win a single conference home game. Last year down the stretch we get embarassed at home by a horrible South Florida team and a Cincy team playing someone called Munchie Legeaux at QB and we have one of the worst collapses in SU history. Gee I wonder why the fanbase isnt parading in the streets.

So you keep at it. You don't say after the first year that it didn't work out as well you should have hoped so **** it, close the doors. Because that's really going to help the situation.

It's not after one, it's after three, and it's a deliberate adjustment. They are in 100% out work the other guy mode.

Park in the neighborhoods on kids' lawns for a few bucks. As long as you're not on the sidewalk you're fine. We did it when I was in school.

There's plenty of choices, that's just another one. Very few people actually get creative.

Maybe for your group thats doable, the Fine lot tailgate has at minimum 35-40 people at every tailgate not mention the board tailgate, parking on someones lawn isnt going to do it.

Maybe for your group thats doable, the Fine lot tailgate has at minimum 35-40 people at every tailgate not mention the board tailgate, parking on someones lawn isnt going to do it.

I'm sorry there are not multiple choices for hosting a 35-40 person tailgate. And how many options do you think there are anywhere else in the country to host a tailgate that size? Maybe one place?

I'm sorry there are not multiple choices for hosting a 35-40 person tailgate. And how many options do you think there are anywhere else in the country to host a tailgate that size? Maybe one place?

Who is asking for multiple choices? We have had no issues the past 5-6 years until now, I am simply pointing out that you need tailgate lots for fans who want to tailgate, most of the tailgates in our lot and the surrounding lots are dozens of people not a group of 3-4 that can tailgate on the Quad like you do.

It's not after one, it's after three, and it's a deliberate adjustment. They are in 100% out work the other guy mode.

Everybody in the country is in outwork the other guy mode. If Marrone did so much off the field in this first three years and isn't now, does that mean he wasn't in outwork the other guy mode then?

You have got to be kidding.

What I find amusing is Stern's need to announce on this board that he has cancelled his season tix.

First, he obviously feels inaccurately that somebody here cares about his decision.

Second, he apparently feels that his announcement is his way of protesting whatever it is that bothers him.

The fact is that nobody cares about his season tickets.

It is also true that his football analysis generally offers nothing insightful or thought provoking. His posts these days tend to generate great heat, but shed little light on SU Football or other related issues.

His apparent disdain for the program is regrettable. He should probably just stop posting here and join some other board where he will feel better about another program.

As far as Marrone is concerned his job is to win games - at least according to most on this board - and that is what he is trying to do. I have been to many spring practices and can tell you that aside from Eyes, Extreme, Tomcat, DCCuse and a few others, too few fans come to watch the Orange during the spring. I would prefer that practices be open but recognize that in the long term we will get the chance to attend some practices and that what Coach Marrone is doing will benefit the program in the fall.

Who is asking for multiple choices? We have had no issues the past 5-6 years until now, I am simply pointing out that you need tailgate lots for fans who want to tailgate, most of the tailgates in our lot and the surrounding lots are dozens of people not a group of 3-4 that can tailgate on the Quad like you do.

We had 15-20 in ours and did just fine. And the Subway Sub even had a drink.

You have 35-40 people, and you have a place RIGHT NEXT TO THE STADIUM to tailgate.

I don't understand the recruiting event cancellation, but I respectfully disagree with the notion that he isn't fan friendly. What other coach hosted a Monday event every day during the season for the average fan? I can't think of one and, for that matter, I can't imagine Boeheim, whom everyone is comparing Marrone to, ever considering something like this.

Winning solves all of these issues. If this is what Doug needs to do to win, I'm all for it.

A shitload of coaches do that stuff, it's ing expected. Marrone does the bare minimum in that department.

I have zero issue with traffic up there but the parking situation being the best you have seen is a joke right? First of all that area cant handle a few hundred cars tryign to park less thousands. Personally I have a parking pass so I dont have issues parking and tailgating but now even that is become an issue due to all of the construction up on the hill for the new Law School building and dorms.

For those that arent local and dont have a parking pass for football SU is closing one of the major lots this year due to construction. Due to that they arent' guaranteeing where your parking pass will be until after they go through the high donors first. For the last 5 -6 years you have been able to pay the Orange pack donation plust the cost of the Fine Lot when you renew so you can ensure you will have a Fine Lot parking pass. This year I had to pay everything up front and will not know until the summer if I have been assigned the Fine Lot, Standart Lot or freeking North Manley. Kinda hard to enjoy that on campus tailgatey feel at North Manley Extreme. I have allready had another couple we had all set to buy tickets and a parkign pass back out over the uncertainty of the parking situation. But I am sure the non locals and alumni from NYC will complain how we should all just park at Skytop while they dont attend a single game.

They're only losing 100 parking spaces. It's not armageddon.

Most people buy tickets to watch football games. Seems like your friends are more interested in being able to see the stadium from their parked car.

Worst case scenario is you get moved to Manley and you have to quit tailgating 10 minutes earlier.

Most people buy tickets to watch football games. Seems like your friends are more interested in being able to see the stadium from their parked car.

Worst case scenario is you get moved to Manley and you have to quit tailgating 10 minutes earlier.

Stop with your logic, it has no place here.

So where have they gone? Other programs do it every year. Hoke was in D.C. just a few months ago. Marrone has never been down here to engage what is probably the second-largest alumni base that the university has.

Where are the spring practice pressers?

Spring is the time to generate interest in the middle of the offseason. And yet al they've generated is people bitching about the program, which in this case, is completely legit.

Which makes no sense, considering how ridiculously good Washington is becoming as a prep football base as well (Look at Friendship school, have we been in on any of their guys?

Come on Extreme you have seen the plans its a lot more then 100 spots and you know thats not the point. If the full plan is initiated all those lots are going away and thats not good for SU, people arent all goign to migrate over to North Manley there just gonna stop buying parking passes which is lost revenue for SU. People dont care about being able to see the stadium they care about knowing what there paying for when your talking $250+ dollars for a parking spot for 5 freeking games.

We had 15-20 in ours and did just fine. And the Subway Sub even had a drink.

You have 35-40 people, and you have a place RIGHT NEXT TO THE STADIUM to tailgate.

I guess you didnt read my earlier post no one knows where the parking passes will be at and Syracuse is not going to allow hundreds of people to openly tailgate on the Quad like that its a pipe dream.

Expanding classroom space and student housing is not good for SU?

I never said that dont try and twist this into an academic argument. Theres plenty of room for both in that area.

I guess you didnt read my earlier post no one knows where the parking passes will be at and Syracuse is not going to allow hundreds of people to openly tailgate on the Quad like that its a pipe dream.

We've never had a problem tailgating there. And even if not the way we do it, the university sets up all sorts of stuff for people to partake in pregame festivities on the quad.

We've never had a problem tailgating there. And even if not the way we do it, the university sets up all sorts of stuff for people to partake in pregame festivities on the quad.

I am not saying you tailgating there is a problem in fact it sounds like a perfect situation for you. But thats not SU's long term answer for tailgating, you watch how quick SU's tone changes if theres suddenly 500 people now tailgating on the quad versus your group and a few others. SU will have that shut down faster then an Igor post after a loss. SU does set up a few tents to buy food and other stuff from but other then that theres not much goign on up there before a game.

Almost everyplace has better tailgating options than SU. 35-40 is small compared to most places. SU's problem is we have a bunch of very small lots right around campus and the Dome.

Expanding classroom space and student housing is not good for SU?

Yes it is. So just admit it, football is second rate at SU and not a priority yet prices keep going up and attendance stinks. It's not what they do, it's talking out of both sides of their mouths that is tiring.

I am not saying you tailgating there is a problem in fact it sounds like a perfect situation for you. But thats not SU's long term answer for tailgating, you watch how quick SU's tone changes if theres suddenly 500 people now tailgating on the quad versus your group and a few others. SU will have that shut down faster then an Igor post after a loss. SU does set up a few tents to buy food and other stuff from but other then that theres not much goign on up there before a game.

The quad has been packed for games, it's not just us. I'll have to go back through my photos, I have some of how packed it's been. There's a group of at least 40 by Bowne Hall close to where we go that's there every game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom