Why has Marrone gone "him against the fans"? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Why has Marrone gone "him against the fans"?

They're only losing 100 parking spaces. It's not armageddon.

Most people buy tickets to watch football games. Seems like your friends are more interested in being able to see the stadium from their parked car.

Worst case scenario is you get moved to Manley and you have to quit tailgating 10 minutes earlier.

It's more than 100 and that is only this year. More to come. And yes, moving to Manley is where a lot of folks will end up and it will be cool when the stadium is moved over that way. I don't get some of you though that talk about this on campus stuff being great in one thread, then the next thread talking about people should just suck it up and go park someplace miles away. Go to any school that takes football seriously, the tailgating and the pre-game experience is PART of the game experience. My god, UConn pre-game puts us to shame and they are a nobody. Ya, their stadium is 30 miles off campus but so what? I don't see 30,000 SU fans milling around on the quad tailgating. So whats the difference between being 30 miles away from campus or being amongst a bunch of run down houses or at Manley/South Campus tailgating?

Yes it is. So just admit it, football is second rate at SU and not a priority yet prices keep going up and attendance stinks. It's not what they do, it's talking out of both sides of their mouths that is tiring.

100% true and no offense to Extreme and others but its easy to blow it off when you havent been loyal to SU and paid those prices for the lots all through the G-Rob era and stuck with SU when they couldnt give those passes away.

Almost everyplace has better tailgating options than SU. 35-40 is small compared to most places. SU's problem is we have a bunch of very small lots right around campus and the Dome.

Come to Ann Arbor when the golf course is closed for most games. When the golf course is closed for parking, Michigan has as many lots by the stadium for tailgating for 115,000 people as SU does for 50,000.

UNC has maybe 100 space around their stadium comparable to SU's lots. Outside of that, I don't even know where people would tailgate that isn't a serious walk. You'll find most schools remotely close to ours in size have about the same, or even less.

The quad has been packed for games, it's not just us. I'll have to go back through my photos, I have some of how packed it's been. There's a group of at least 40 by Bowne Hall close to where we go that's there every game.

On a percentage basis, do you know how few "hang" on the quad? Not many. Some are just passing through and headed into the Dome too. But as far as tailgating or hanging with friends or whatever people do, it is a small percentage compared to the lots, Manley, the bars etc.

Come to Ann Arbor when the golf course is closed for most games. When the golf course is closed for parking, Michigan has as many lots by the stadium for tailgating for 115,000 people as SU does for 50,000.

Went to the SU game there. Some of the best tailgating ever. How often is the course closed? During a large storm? I'm not talking about the exceptions, but the rules.

Yes it is. So just admit it, football is second rate at SU and not a priority yet prices keep going up and attendance stinks. It's not what they do, it's talking out of both sides of their mouths that is tiring.

I think it's more of trying to have it both or all ways, semantically speaking. 20 bucks for a football game is pretty good.

I really do see where you're coming from though and I am willing to give them a pass for this year, to a point. I agree that any fans that stayed through the end of P and all of the Robinson years should get some kind of fan bonus award.

We've never had a problem tailgating there. And even if not the way we do it, the university sets up all sorts of stuff for people to partake in pregame festivities on the quad.

Bouncy houses aren't tailgating. The 2 best things about the quad are the band playing and the player walk which they got rid of.

On a percentage basis, do you know how few "hang" on the quad? Not many. Some are just passing through and headed into the Dome too. But as far as tailgating or hanging with friends or whatever people do, it is a small percentage compared to the lots, Manley, the bars etc.

Yeah this is true, I used to walk the Quad before games with my father during the P era before we got into the tailgating scene and even then when they had the quad walk and all that there was never that many people there, theres more people tailgating in the Fine Lot then there are in the whole Quad.

20 bucks for a football game is pretty good.

That's the problem though, it's not $20/game (nor should it be). That is a small section and not what the real long time fans pay nor want to pay. I pay about $90/game with 6 seats and $25/game for parking. That's not $20/game plus a beer and a hot dog.

Went to the SU game there. Some of the best tailgating ever. How often is the course closed? During a large storm? I'm not talking about the exceptions, but the rules.

That's the problem though, it's not $20/game (nor should it be). That is a small section and not what the real long time fans pay nor want to pay. I pay about $90/game with 6 seats and $25/game for parking. That's not $20/game plus a beer and a hot dog.

I'd say about 50% of the time. I get to about three games per year back there, it's such a crapshoot we found an architect's office that's about 3/4 mile from the stadium (the pin on the map below) we have a deal with to set up every week before 7am while there's a massive line for the golf course, or the course is closed.

They close the course pretty much anytime the ground is saturated, which can be a lot in Michigan in the fall. When we depended on the course we'd have to check the weather and the hotline overnight, just to get up there by 6am, and wait in a line for an hour even if it was open.

And it's $40/game.

aamap.jpg

Most diehard fans have better seats then the $99.00 food stamps, trust me we are paying a lot more then $25 a game and happy to do so to support the program.

Yeah I've read that you wrote that before and I really do see your point in a lot of cases and can also see why you'd be frustrated. SU can be quite antiquated at times in their thinking.

UNC has maybe 100 space around their stadium comparable to SU's lots. Outside of that, I don't even know where people would tailgate that isn't a serious walk. You'll find most schools remotely close to ours in size have about the same, or even less.

And you know what's at that golf course when it's closed? Tailgate. ing. City.

Where should SU's priorities be?

Fulfilling their academic facilities needs for the next 10-50 years ... or keeping tailgaters happy for 6 games.

What's the solution ... halt all "on campus" expansion until a new football stadium is built at Skytop?

SU has the same problems that all urban universities have ... their campuses were laid out about 30 years before cars were invented, and about 90 years before traffic was invented.

And you know what's at that golf course when it's closed? Tailgate. *******. City.

You mean when it's open. And what it is when it's closed, Tailgate ing disaster.

It was for the Ohio State game two years ago and the Notre Dame and Nebraska games last year that I was at. What a freakin' mess.

I think it was either $20 or $25 in 1998.

Damn inflation.

After going to games all over the place, I can't believe the bitching about the Dome. I think all in all we have a great setup with a number of options. Many that few people take advantage of.

years ago they held a "party" up at skytop-i think it was the oklahoma game-

those are the things to do-byob have a kids area and local foods for sale(salt potato's,hoffman dogs,dino bbq ect ect

Where should SU's priorities be?

Fulfilling their academic facilities needs for the next 10-50 years ... or keeping tailgaters happy for 6 games.

You're putting words into peoples mouths now as nobody has said that. You're also making it just a tailgating thing.

You're putting words into peoples mouths now as nobody has said that. You're also making it just a tailgating thing.

How about SU stop inflating the student body and stop the freefall in the rankings?

That'd be great. kthnx

For those that arent local and dont have a parking pass for football SU is closing one of the major lots this year due to construction. Due to that they arent' guaranteeing where your parking pass will be until after they go through the high donors first. For the last 5 -6 years you have been able to pay the Orange pack donation plust the cost of the Fine Lot when you renew so you can ensure you will have a Fine Lot parking pass. This year I had to pay everything up front and will not know until the summer if I have been assigned the Fine Lot, Standart Lot or freeking North Manley.

Manley only costs $60, and doesn't require an Orange Club donation.

They're not going to charge you $250 and dump you into a Zone C lot.

But I thought everyone was gung ho on SU's Dome being on campus and everything about the experience that brings with it.

They're not going to charge you $250 and dump you into a Zone C lot.

Its Manley South thats Zone A I believe and I am sure they will have no problem dumping a lot of us there. I am hopeful at worst we get Standart but im preparing for the worst with SU.

Tailgating at SU is not desirable. Every year we bring in friends to go to the games with us, and they are baffled at how inconvenient and uneventful the gameday experience is. They aren't looking for jumpy rooms and balloons and either, they are looking at the tailgate scene mainly. When compared with other big schools, it's not even close. I've been to Tenn, Mich, UNC, SCar, Ole Miss, Penn St, etc. Amazing experience at all.

Our dome is on top of a hill. Needs to be moved, but never will. I still think the Fairgrounds would be ideal.

Back to Bees first post... First step is winning. Marrone has given up on kissing the fans' asses, he is doing whatever it takes to get Ws. The typical Syracuse front-runner, "Saturday leave-raker" fan will come back when things get better.

Its Manley South thats Zone A I believe and I am sure they will have no problem dumping a lot of us there. I am hopeful at worst we get Standart but im preparing for the worst with SU.

Zone C is Manley North, Manley South, and Skytop.

Zone B is the University Ave garage, the Harrison and Lehman lots on University Ave, the Marion lot, and Booth garage.

Zone A is everything west of the Dome, what's left on the Quad, and the Women's Bldg lots.

I seriously doubt that you'll get bumped to Manley. Standard more than likely.

http://www.carrierdome.com/media/documents/2012/3/2012_Overall_Parking_for_FB__BB.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom