Why I'm Optimistic About The Fall | Syracusefan.com

Why I'm Optimistic About The Fall

LeMoyneCuse

All American
I saw more of the team this spring than anyone who isn't a part of the team or works in the Dome. You can see most of the Dome field from certain places outside of the building, so I spent a few hours on covert scouting during the spring.

I believe the running game will looking much better than it did yesterday. Smith has looked like a player this spring, and I really think he can shoulder the load this year. Gulley is a nice compliment.

The other reason for my optimism is the defense. I really think the secondary will lead this team to six or seven wins. The QBs had no time to throw the ball yesterday, but even when they did, the receivers were covered. There were two plays I can think of yesterday where a receiver was wide open. TWO. How many times a GAME was that happening last season? At least a half a dozen.

Reddish is much improved. There are several ball-hawking safeties. Plus, Shamarko is still out there.

Several of the team's best players were out yesterday- Lemon, Lyn, Pugh. Sure, the second team may not be where it could or should be. But the team we saw yesterday isn't the team we'll see this fall.

Several of the team's best players were out yesterday- Lemon, Lyn, Pugh. Sure, the second team may not be where it could or should be. But the team we saw yesterday isn't the team we'll see this fall.

I'd add Spruill to that list.

spring games mean nothing, they show nothing especially with split units and lots of injuries, the coaches don't want to show anything and they also don't want kids getting hurt.. Yesterday's showing will have no impact on the season. I always come away from these thinking that a lot of our guys aren't vey big or very fast, I dodn't go yesterday but it sounds like most were unimpressed.

I have heard that Broyld, Sales, Smith and yes Wales head very solid springs. As far as O line Pugh was out who seems to be our best O Lineman and Hickey when healthy is probably #2.

I don't think yesterday had much to do with Hackett whatsoever

I really like all the DBs we have but you can only cover guys for so long. We need to be able to get a consistant pass rush. As of now if looks like we will have converted DTs starting at DE. That is a little worrisome for a pass rush.

I'd add Spruill to that list.

Forgot about him.

I really like all the DBs we have but you can only cover guys for so long. We need to be able to get a consistant pass rush. As of now if looks like we will have converted DTs starting at DE. That is a little worrisome for a pass rush.

DE is a big question mark. Come fall, there will be Sharpe, Simmons, Welsh, Goggins, Robinson, Pierce-Brewster, Hilliard, and Manley looking for time at the corners of the line.

Sharpe will be out there. So will Robinson. We can assume the same about Goggins and JPB. Otherwise- there are many, many question marks. This could be a surprisingly good or surprisingly bad unit.

spring games mean nothing, they show nothing

I remember when we used to say that when the offense would only score 10-14 points.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'll add that I'm optimistic as well as long as we're healthy up front. We've added two significant playmaker's on offense in Sales and Broyld. We have a big back who has a forward lean in Smith..and the defense looks like it might actually be better than last year.

Spring games don't mean .

I remember when we used to say that when the offense would only score 10-14 points.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

LOL, very true. I also remember thinking the offense looked great when Daryl Kennedy was playing qb that one spring. Who knows? I do think we have more playmakers than we have had. I like Lemon and Sales, I think Smith will punish people and if we can get the right O Lineman healthy and that would include Hickey, I think we can score some points...

With the injuries, we certainly did not have 10 lineman on offense that could stop the defense, the fact that the offense sucked yesterday should not surprise anyone. It's not GREAT when healthy... When healthy we should be OK.

What makes me nervous is, it's become apparent that 2013 appears to be putting a lot of eggs in Mr Hunt's basket. They must feel he is the guy because I don't think you will see Broyld ever play QB.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense. Part of our pass rush problems came from a d-line that was undersized. They couldn't stop the run consistantly enough to force obvious passing situations, and when they did the interior push wasn't consistantly forcing double teams to let our DE's do damage. We seem to have gotten bigger at DT and I think we'll see situational DE's. The bigger DE's will play run situations and the faster ones will play passing situations. I think our smallish LB's will benefit from the DL occupying more offensive lineman as well. I could be completely dead wrong too. As the great philosopher Michael Gerard Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Barring a few key injuries, bowl is very possible.

Few lucky breaks here and there is all they need.

I don't think yesterday had much to do with Hackett whatsoever

Yesterday had nothing to do with Hack. They ran plays they wanted to run whether they were or weren't in the playbook. People are making this about him when he had nothing to do about it.

I'm not worried about Deon Goggins.

He was a DE playing DT last year.

He's probably moving back inside if Pierce-Brewster comes as advertised.

I can see him having a role similar to Jones in that he plays DE on expected running downs and moves inside when we're in the Okie package.

Who knows what will happen...

This team could end up in the Conference Title fight.

Looking at the schedule, there is no reason why this team can't cobble 6 wins together. Rutgers & Pitt are in flux, & I just can't imagine losing to UCONN again this season.

Bnoro-Do you know if anything is being done to attract more SU Students to home games? I know there were a lot of talk of trying different things last year. Is administration doing anything specific?

Neither am I. No one expected him to get moved to DT last year either. He's back where he was expected to be.

The worst part about each spring is hearing about an offensive player who has dominated in practices and looks good in the spring game and then does something to ensure he won't play in the fall.

So in a weird way, I'm glad I didn't hear much about the offense.

Broyld yesterday reminded me of a taller Tyrone Wheatley. He is clearly a guy who needs to touch the ball 15-20 times a game in the fall.

Bnoro-Do you know if anything is being done to attract more SU Students to home games? I know there were a lot of talk of trying different things last year. Is administration doing anything specific?

Two Friday night games will help..hey if the games are exciting the majority of them (students) might even stay after halftime.

I see Northwestern being well attended as the Frosh are led to the Dome like lemmings from the Dorms...hopefully the game isn't a nooner.

SU will be smart to make Stony Brook a 3:30 or 7:00pm game on SNY around the Met's schedule.

Two Friday night games will help..hey if the games are exciting the majority of them (students) might even stay after halftime.

I see Northwestern being well attended as the Frosh are led to the Dome like lemmings from the Dorms...hopefully the game isn't a nooner.

SU will be smart to make Stony Brook a 3:30 or 7:00pm game on SNY around the Met's schedule.

Mets are at Milwaukee. 7:10.

I saw more of the team this spring than anyone who isn't a part of the team or works in the Dome. You can see most of the Dome field from certain places outside of the building, so I spent a few hours on covert scouting during the spring.

I believe the running game will looking much better than it did yesterday. Smith has looked like a player this spring, and I really think he can shoulder the load this year. Gulley is a nice compliment.

The other reason for my optimism is the defense. I really think the secondary will lead this team to six or seven wins. The QBs had no time to throw the ball yesterday, but even when they did, the receivers were covered. There were two plays I can think of yesterday where a receiver was wide open. TWO. How many times a GAME was that happening last season? At least a half a dozen.

Reddish is much improved. There are several ball-hawking safeties. Plus, Shamarko is still out there.

Man I sure hope so, If we can run and stop the run I think best case scenario is 8-4. I just have a sense our offense will be serviceable this year. I also believe that the secondary will be improved from last year. If so I expect our rush to be better. Small steps, peace, enjoyable college experience, fun school. I agree we must focus, we can do this, important to get the city behind this team. All teams have had down periods, we have to climb uphill and we must stay positive. Particularly Nassib, he needs to have the killer instinct as well as the line. Does anyone have info on Pugh and west injuries, serious?

There are major changes on the horizon for student ticketing. Probably not for next year, but I would say it will be all set by 2013. Friday night games will help next year.

way to much emphasis on broyld in the many threads i have read---if we are pinning our hopes an him,that does not say much about the team. keep the pressure off the kid --

Sometimes I forget we have some pretty nice talent coming in that might be able to fill a few holes here and there. I don't think a true freshman can come in and play the ol but I would have loved to have a kid step up and be a playmaker at WR...Ashton could be that guy I suppose.

I would love to have some of these freshman force Marrone to play them because they are really good and not because he has too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom