Why is Battle going pro? | Syracusefan.com

Why is Battle going pro?

Orangemen

All Conference
I just don't get it.

When Flynn, Lydon, Grant, Malachi, Ennis went pro I was disappointed because the team would have been better if they had stayed, but you couldn't really argue the choice given where their draft stock was at.

With Battle it's a completely different situation. Why leave early to get drafted mid to late second round. That seems crazy to me. Those guys rarely break out and have meaningful careers with huge earnings. It happens, just not Often.

He could have left and had a middling journeyman pro career literally at any point in college. What's the benefit of leaving after this year?

I just don't get it.

When Flynn, Lydon, Grant, Malachi, Ennis went pro I was disappointed because the team would have been better if they had stayed, but you couldn't really argue the choice given where their draft stock was at.

With Battle it's a completely different situation. Why leave early to get drafted mid to late second round. That seems crazy to me. Those guys rarely break out and have meaningful careers with huge earnings. It happens, just not Often.

He could have left and had a middling journeyman pro career literally at any point in college. What's the benefit of leaving after this year?
He’s just a few credits shy of graduating. He plans to get his degree in the pro offseason. I wish him the best. Hope he makes it in the NBA. Regardless, he’s good enough to collect a check somewhere as a pro.

When he’s done playing someday in the future, I have no doubt he’ll be successful in life.

He’s just a few credits shy of graduating. He plans to get his degree in the pro offseason. I wish him the best. Hope he makes it in the NBA. Regardless, he’s good enough to collect a check somewhere as a pro.

When he’s done playing someday in the future, I have no doubt he’ll be successful in life.
Yep. You only have a limited amount of time in your life to make money playing basketball. Tyus will get his degree and make money playing ball somewhere.

NBA teams know what he is, coming back next year won’t change that

To answer the title's question: Boeheim probably expected him to do better and doesnt want to be seen as misleading the guys he recruited...and even just roster spots. And as the post above me says, pros already know what he is capable of.

He’s not getting drafted. Mid second round?? Someone must have cut that team a check
Honestly I was being generous.

It's entirely possible he does not get drafted at all.

He's trading one year of being a star playing in front of 25,000 people for one additional year of making a g league salary.

Maybe not the choice I would make I guess.

It's funny to me, Battle debated going pro last year, came back this year to "improve his draft stock" or whatever, and has not improved his draft stock at all (weird, I thought it was a lock you would improve your status by coming back) so the answer is...come back for another year??

Honestly I was being generous.

It's entirely possible he does not get drafted at all.

He's trading one year of being a star playing in front of 25,000 people for one additional year of making a g league salary.

Maybe not the choice I would make I guess.
Cmon man...that’s ridiculous and you know if

He’ll have his degree ; you want him to play for free and use up another year he could make money playing basketball?

It's funny to me, Battle debated going pro last year, came back this year to "improve his draft stock" or whatever, and has not improved his draft stock at all (weird, I thought it was a lock you would improve your status by coming back) so the answer is...come back for another year??
What's he rushing towards?

Its not like we are talking about a one million dollar salary next year. It's g league for him. And when you are there it's hard to break out from the crowd. Especially now that some first round draft picks go to the g league for seasoning. Teams will be putting a priority on developing the first round guys over players like him who they are inherently less invested in.

At Syracuse he will be on TV regularly and will have much more visibility to scouts.

Maybe he never breaks through. He probably won't. But his odds of breaking through at Syracuse seem higher than among the crowd in the g league.

Cmon man...that’s ridiculous and you know if

He’ll have his degree ; you want him to play for free and use up another year he could make money playing basketball?

So how much money can he realistically expect to make next year? Where is he going?

How much money will he make next year if he comes back?
G league salary is 35k.

That's literally meaningless in terms of how much can be made in the NBA or Europe.

So the question is what gives him better odds of getting into the NBA or Europe? A year in the g league or a year at Syracuse?

My view is Syracuse.

I just don't get it.

He's going to graduate #1. His game is basically formed. And the defenses he'll face with less contact will help him.

I'm basically for everyone staying and think he should go. And I love Battle.

G league salary is 35k.

That's literally meaningless in terms of how much can be made in the NBA or Europe.

So the question is what gives him better odds of getting into the NBA or Europe? A year in the g league or a year at Syracuse?

My view is Syracuse.
You’re not really getting it.

- If you’re lucky you can make money playing basketball until you’re 40, at most
- he will be a year closer to 40 next year
- 35k in the GLeague is more than the $0 he’ll make if he stays
- Tyus has developed the most he can with our staff. Don’t you think focusing on basketball full time with a professional staff might help him?
- the NBA knows everything they need to be about Tyus. He doesn’t need “exposure”

He can go play in Europe or Isreal without going to G-League and make much more than $35k...as mentioned above he is what he is coming back is not changing anything .

You’re not really getting it.

- If you’re lucky you can make money playing basketball until you’re 40, at most
- he will be a year closer to 40 next year
- 35k in the GLeague is more than the $0 he’ll make if he stays
- Tyus has developed the most he can with our staff. Don’t you think focusing on basketball full time with a professional staff might help him?
- the NBA knows everything they need to be about Tyus. He doesn’t need “exposure”
Maybe I don't. I just see him leaving and his shot at being a high level pro essentially be over. I guess it already is in reality.

I almost feel bad for guys like him. They spend their whole life being told they are an NBA player, so they have a clock in their head that's constantly ticking telling them to become a pro as fast as possible.

Once he steps off the su campus he'll be just one of a thousand guys trying to make it, who essentially no one beside his agent and family care about. That is a rough life.

He wants to get paid money to play basketball over playing in our garbage offense for no money.
I wouldn’t play for free if I was getting my degree.

This.

He gambled assuming, like most, the team would be a lot better and he could really showcase his skill and up his draft stock.

Team really didn't improve and the offense is little more than poorly run playground pick and roll with no dynamics and cogs lacking skill.

It did him no favors, sadly.

I just don't get it.

Why come back, is really the question. To play in this offense?

Why come back, is really the question. To play in this offense?
The ONLY and I mean only reason to even consider it if JB tells him to play PG to show the NBA he can play PG full time. I don’t think he has the skill set to do it and I don’t thunk it would be productive for our team overall.

I love Tyus and his story isn’t done this year, but he ain’t coming back

G league salary is 35k.

My view is Syracuse.

Based on what...give specifics.