Why jump ship? | Syracusefan.com

Why jump ship?

NCo’range

Walk On
Help me understand why players leave their team and want to go somewhere else when a man like coach Fran Brown (and his new staff members) is hired to replace an embattled one.
Is it to pay respects to the fired head man, is it because they feel that they will be overlooked and not be chosen to step on the turf or is it because they never really liked where they were and want another fresh start.
I mean what’s better, a new beginning staying at a familiar place with your original team brothers and playing for a proven dynamic young coach or playing at a unfamiliar location with your new adopted family hoping that they will see you in a new light and love you?
I am truly shaking my head at this course of action.

Help me understand why players leave their team and want to go somewhere else when a man like coach Fran Brown (and his new staff members) is hired to replace an embattled one.
Is it to pay respects to the fired head man, is it because they feel that they will be overlooked and not be chosen to step on the turf or is it because they never really liked where they were and want another fresh start.
I mean what’s better, a new beginning staying at a familiar place with your original team brothers and playing for a proven dynamic young coach or playing at a unfamiliar location with your new adopted family hoping that they will see you in a new light and love you?
Most wouldn't play for HCFB. Transfer or sit. Pretty simple.

a) Writing on the wall.
b) conversation with coaches
c) fear of competing /self-doubt
d) grass is greener syndrome
All true. A few might be looking to leave because they are not a fit for the new scheme as well. And Fran was very honest talking about how much more they were going to work in the weight room and on the practice field (I don’t think Dino ever tried pads M-Th each week).

IMHO, the vast majority are leaving because the staff evaluated them, told them that probably aren’t ever going to play and the players decided they wanted to go somewhere where they might get playing time.

I don’t blame our staff for being honest with the players. I don’t blame any player for leaving either.

Very happy that these days, the players can get ‘the talk’ and elect to stay and finish their education if they want to (and stay on scholarship until graduation). That was a good change by the NCAA.

When Deion took over Colorado, 70 players left. I don’t think we are going see that much turnover but when all is said and done, I bet we replace 35-40.

Thank God the NCAA also changed the rule so when there is massive turnover with a new HC, a program can exceed the 25 player limit for a single incoming class. Between the transfers and incoming frosh, we are going to go well over that number.

a) Writing on the wall.
b) conversation with coaches
c) fear of competing /self-doubt
d) grass is greener syndrome

Humans. Fight or Flight
Or have had a change in aspirational career path and are looking for an institute of higher learning with a more suitable curriculum for their educational journey?

Couldn't keep from laughing even as I typed it.

Went through 5 mergers in my career. Every new boss brought managers with him. Was asked to stay each time but by the time they figured out who they wanted to keep other firms always gave much better guaranteed deals. Also, took awhile for acquiring firms some time to budget retention bonuses.
Each time there was a period of uncertainty and chaos. Two weeks can be a long time when your future is at stake. Pretty much unavoidable.
Don't blame those who can take self-help or get better situation. After all, coaches do it.

listening to Pry for VT he had to discuss staying with 40 kids to see what roster he would have for the bowl game and going forward and they had a decent season once the QB spot got decided

Young unproven guys would be crazy to stay if they couldn’t see the field under Dino and have all the new additions ahead of them. The only reason would be if they didn’t feel comfortable there would be a landing spot.

Could be for many different reasons as folks have noted.

Could be Dino loyalists, could be the new staff told them you will play more elsewhere, could be you just don’t want to be at SU anymore (kids transfer out to get a fresh start all the time), might know you don’t have a real shot at the next level, still enjoy the game, but not the grind of being a P4 player.

Kids like Lowery move to get paid. Can’t say going to Wisconsin is a step down.

98.4% of kids playing college football will never see an NFL team check. If you can get paid while in school, go for it.

Nothing wrong with going to Wisc for a little money if thats the goal.

The leap to top 3-4 in the ACC is pretty small. The leap to top 4-5 in the B10 is huge.

mich
osu
psu
Ore
Wash
USC
and still need to leap Iowa.
Nebraska has better fan support than any of them as well.

Conference will look different be less boring and just be a better product now. But those schools who couldn’t win on the easier half of the league won’t all of a sudden start making the field even with the expansion.

Some may have been told that their position is no longer an option for them. If they want playing time they need to shift to something else. That may not be a desire for some players. Some may no longer have a chance to play here so they want to go where they will get playing time. Some may not fit in with the new staff. Those who have degrees may be looking for a program with a graduate degree that we don't offer.

Why?

This isn't about any player running away from the new coaches. This is about the new coach taking advantage of an opportunity to purge and rebuild the roster.

Coach Fran met with every player the first week after being hired. Coaches have also been reviewing game film, practice film and actual practices as the team has been preparing for the bowl game to evaluate current players.

This week Coach Fran started meeting with players to have "the talk". Coach also met with a couple of players who have been on the fence about staying (guys who have graduated but still have eligibility) or leaving (NFL or portal). Word is Coach Fran definitely left those guys with something to think about.

Coach then met with players who he and his staff don't think will have the opportunity of play much, if at all, at Syracuse. If you want to play, you're going to need to go somewhere else to find that playing time. Players basically have a few options.
  • Stay at SU and finish your education. The school will pick up the scholarship, but the young man will not be part of the football program.
  • If the player wants to continue playing, enter the portal and look for a new home. Some of these guys will not get picked up before the spring semester. If that happens, they too can stay at SU until they do get picked up. Hopefully they picked SU in the first place because of the education opportunities.
  • Staying at SU and trying to prove the coach wrong usually isn't an option.

Coach started these conversations this week so players who want to hit the portal can have more time to find a fit. A couple of guys were already planning to leave, but the majority of the guys who are in the portal are there because they had "the talk."

What will be worth watching for in the spring is the guys who are no longer on the roster but did not enter the portal. Guys who decided to stay at SU without being part of the football program. I can think of a few who might fit this category already (guys who may have had the talk but haven't hit the portal, yet).

Enjoy the ride.

Go Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom