Why Monmouth Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Monmouth Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
(I'm doing this for the Florida State FB game and I realized the Monmouth basketball game is more likely to be competitive so i decided to that game, too.)

- Because they aren't scared of us, having beaten UCLA, USC, Notre Dame and Georgetown last year.

- Because they listen to Doug Gottlieb and think we were chosen to play in last year's NCAA tournament in their rightful place and they've been planning to win this game ever since.

- Because nearly every SU player is bigger than enalry every one of their players. That could be to our advantage the closer the ball gets to the basket but to theirs the farther away it gets. And they can hit the three better than Colgate or Holy cross did.

- They also know how to dribble-drive and penetrate to draw fouls. And our zone has been leaky at times this year. Our defense is far behind our offense. It hasn't matter so far but will be exposed in this game.

- We have a very talented team but the guys are jsut getting to know each other. They have four starters back from a 28 win team and know each other's every move, on offense and on defense.

- They can play zone or man for man and we have struggled against a zone so far this year.

- We haven't really rebounded all that well this year, 85-67 but against Colgate and Holy Cross. The Hawks were -6 vs. South Carolina, which wasn't enough to make things easy for the Gamecocks, who ahd to win on a buzzer shot in OT.

- We haven't come out that strong in the first two games and the longer you keep an under-dog in it, the bigger their chances to pull off the upset get.

- Those bench guys are ready to dance with the stars. The big crowd will not intimidate them: it will turn them on.

- All the pressure is on SU. we will get a little credit if we win but the blame for losing will last all the way to the selection show. Gottlieb is licking his chops.

(I'm doing this for the Florida State FB game and I realized the Monmouth basketball game is more likely to be competitive so i decided to that game, too.)

- Because they aren't scared of us, having beaten UCLA, USC, Notre Dame and Georgetown last year.

- Because they listen to Doug Gottlieb and think we were chosen to play in last year's NCAA tournament in their rightful place and they've been planning to win this game ever since.

- Because nearly every SU player is bigger than enalry every one of their players. That could be to our advantage the closer the ball gets to the basket but to theirs the farther away it gets. And they can hit the three better than Colgate or Holy cross did.

- They also know how to dribble-drive and penetrate to draw fouls. And our zone has been leaky at times this year. Our defense is far behind our offense. It hasn't matter so far but will be exposed in this game.

- We have a very talented team but the guys are jsut getting to know each other. They have four starters back from a 28 win team and know each other's every move, on offense and on defense.

- They can play zone or man for man and we have struggled against a zone so far this year.

- We haven't really rebounded all that well this year, 85-67 but against Colgate and Holy Cross. The Hawks were -6 vs. South Carolina, which wasn't enough to make things easy for the Gamecocks, who ahd to win on a buzzer shot in OT.

- We haven't come out that strong in the first two games and the longer you keep an under-dog in it, the bigger their chances to pull off the upset get.

- Those bench guys are ready to dance with the stars. The big crowd will not intimidate them: it will turn them on.

- All the pressure is on SU. we will get a little credit if we win but the blame for losing will last all the way to the selection show. Gottlieb is licking his chops.
Does anyone have a guess on how many cuts to their bench?(Not including timeouts) I'm thinking 8 but the closer the game the higher that number goes. Let's just crush them right out of the gate and give them nothing to celebrate!

After reading Monmouth coach King Rice dishing on SU, I think he's trying to set-us up to be over-confident (especially coming off 2 easy wins).
JB is too crafty not to see through this, and will have the team ready.

"Because they listen to Doug Gottlieb and think we were chosen to play in last year's NCAA tournament in their rightful place and they've been planning to win this game ever since."

^^This has me a little concerned.

"Because they listen to Doug Gottlieb and think we were chosen to play in last year's NCAA tournament in their rightful place and they've been planning to win this game ever since."

^^This has me a little concerned.

Gottlieb was the leader of the "Monmouth instead of Syracuse" pack last year.

Monmouth is a pretty good team with 4 returning upper class starters.
This could be a test.
The Orange will have to play well and the frontline will have to dominate.

I truly believe Syracuse is a top 10 top 5 team. Sure I think they're still learning to play together but Monmouth would not have been a tournament team had they played in the ACC. I think people are making this bigger than it has to be. I think Cuse wins big. Last year I think we took St. Bonaventure for granted a little and this game has a similar feel to it now in hindsight. Jimmy B won't let that happen this time around and Cuse wins 82-65. The Monmouth bench better get their work in early when it's tied at 0-0.

It's Monmouth. Get real.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom