Why no PGs? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why no PGs?

Which doesnt help this coming years team. Kaleb, like ennis will be run into the ground unless silent G is more effective from the pg position.

Why do people down play silent G's contribution at the pg position? He will have had a full year playing the position as well as this off season to work on improving his game further. He was a back up last year and if he is in this role this coming season he will be certainly be improved the second time around.

Why do people down play silent G's contribution at the pg position? He will have had a full year playing the position as well as this off season to work on improving his game further. He was a back up last year and if he is in this role this coming season he will be certainly be improved the second time around.

Agreed. At the very least, he will be as steady as last season--only now he'll be an experienced player who will get more minutes and probably be better equipped to deliver than he was last year.

Which doesnt help this coming years team. Kaleb, like ennis will be run into the ground unless silent G is more effective from the pg position.

Well it's not like we could recruit someone for 14-15 once the season started and Ennis stock started to blow up. And like I said before it's not as easy as just bringing in a fifth year senior. We tried that last year with Antonio Barton but he went to Tennessee instead.

I never understand this argument. Like JB has said these are 19 year old kids they don't wear down. They play for their high school, AAU, camps etc. and fly all around the country while doing it.

Franklin Howard is in the class of 2015, and projects as a PG.

Shark, the real issue is that we've had two early entrant PGs two years in a row that has led to a compromised depth situation at PG. It has nothing to do with a poor recruiting strategy or the attribution that JB and staff have lapsed in terms of who they're pursing.

MCW left a year earlier than the staff expected. Reason being that he blew up and we went to the final four. The staff believed prior to the NCAA tournament that there was a solid chance he would return. Think of how that would have changed this year, with Ennis either backing him up or starting alongside him. Either way, plenty of guard depth / versatility.

The staff didn't expect Ennis to go pro after one season this year, either. Ennis and Joseph was the game plan for next year. Again, this would be a good situation, depth wise. Ennis just had a great year and jumped earlier than expected--but it isn't like the staff dropped the ball.

Also, please keep in mind that they went after a graduate transfer last season [Barron] who would have added backcourt depth / shooting. He just opted to go to Tennessee instead of here. But again, the staff was proactive about addressing the lack of depth, it just didn't work out.

Ultimately, no one will dispute that having only one true lead guard on the roster is ideal. It isn't. Far from it. But it isn't by design. The staff has attempted to build depth--the players have just been good enough to go pro earlier than reasonably expected. And going out and recruiting inferior players just to bolster depth isn't going to solve any problems.

Looking forward to the day when this is no longer an issue.

You are on to something regarding the 6th man role. My informer hinted to me that Gbinije was told that he will be playing the 6th man role this upcoming season to my dismay. Why do some coaches pre-determine the rotation before the season starts and players are able to prove that they deserve to be starters. I would rather wait and let things play out and let players earn their spot rather than pre-determine positions. As a former college athlete I hated this and still do. I would like to see the coach open up competition and let the better man win. I would rather have the best players on the court at the start of the game to give the team a better chance to win than rely on a bench player to bail me out.

I would also rather start a player that thrives under pressure than one that folds under pressure, then again I have never coached a college game, so please don't bury me.

SU_Fan_in_VA said:
You are on to something regarding the 6th man role. My informer hinted to me that Gbinije was told that he will be playing the 6th man role this upcoming season to my dismay. Why do some coaches pre-determine the rotation before the season starts and players are able to prove that they deserve to be starters. I would rather wait and let things play out and let players earn their spot rather than pre-determine positions. As a former college athlete I hated this and still do. I would like to see the coach open up competition and let the better man win. I would rather have the best players on the court at the start of the game to give the team a better chance to win than rely on a bench player to bail me out. I would also rather start a player that thrives under pressure than one that folds under pressure, then again I have never coached a college game, so please don't bury me.

G is the perfect 6th man because of his versatility and being able to play the 1, 2, or 3.

You are on to something regarding the 6th man role. My informer hinted to me that Gbinije was told that he will be playing the 6th man role this upcoming season to my dismay. Why do some coaches pre-determine the rotation before the season starts and players are able to prove that they deserve to be starters. I would rather wait and let things play out and let players earn their spot rather than pre-determine positions. As a former college athlete I hated this and still do. I would like to see the coach open up competition and let the better man win. I would rather have the best players on the court at the start of the game to give the team a better chance to win than rely on a bench player to bail me out.

I would also rather start a player that thrives under pressure than one that folds under pressure, then again I have never coached a college game, so please don't bury me.
G is more valuable coming off the bench because he is capable of playing three different positions. Sixth men at SU have a history of starter playing time. JB also wants to give McC and Roberson every chance possible to participate and succeed.

I never understand this argument. Like JB has said these are 19 year old kids they don't wear down. They play for their high school, AAU, camps etc. and fly all around the country while doing it.
Then please explain to me what happened to the players this year? Because I think it's crazy to think it wasn't fatigue related

Then please explain to me what happened to the players this year? Because I think it's crazy to think it wasn't fatigue related
I said for way over a year before this past season that the lack of pgs brought in was going to bite Boeheim in the ass and he was On top of that he sits the only other candidate Ron Paterson,giving him very little to nothing experience wise. Patterson will need to rely on physical maturation and gym work to jack his game for PT next season. I'm betting he will but its the hard way, thanks to Jimbo.

G is more valuable coming off the bench because he is capable of playing three different positions. Sixth men at SU have a history of starter playing time. JB also wants to give McC and Roberson every chance possible to participate and succeed.
You make a good point. I just have an issue about coaches pre-determining the rotation rather than letting things play out even if pre-concieved notions become reality.

You make a good point. I just have an issue about coaches pre-determining the rotation rather than letting things play out even if pre-concieved notions become reality.

Starting is irrelevant. Finishing games is more important. And we've had a history recently of bench players getting stater's caliber minutes.

If Gbinije is as good as you say, then he'll carve out a niche and play major minutes.

Starting is irrelevant. Finishing games is more important. And we've had a history recently of bench players getting stater's caliber minutes.

If Gbinije is as good as you say, then he'll carve out a niche and play major minutes.
For starters I am thankful that I am not being buried becuase I seem to be going against the grain here. I am not suggesting that Gbinije is better than everyone else on the team, but questioning why coaches pre-determine the rotation before players are able to prove themselves. On this team there are many unknowns and I would think that the situation would create a competive environment and open opportunities for all, but I don't think it is the case and I don't quite get the logic. Basketball is a game of 5 vs. 5 and most teams put their best 5 on the court to start the game and make adjustments as the game progresses. I just recently started following Syracuse basketball with keen interest when Gbinije transferred to Syracuse. I am not sure what Dion's situation was and why he was not a starter, yet was the 4th overall pick in the draft. I am not comparing Gbinije's situation to Dion's and I am certainly not suggesting that Gbinije should start, but just wondering why a player as good as Dion did not start. Granted it worked out great for Dion, but could the overall outcome for the team have been different if Dion had started and played more?

And why is starting irrelevant on a team where the starters tend to play majority of the minutes?

What is the point of a token starter? Given the inexperience of this team, would the starters be allowed to make mistakes and grow on the job or will they be replaced as soon as they make a mistake with backups that are supposingly not good enough to start?

And why is starting irrelevant on a team where the starters tend to play majority of the minutes?

What is the point of a token starter? Given the inexperience of this team, would the starters be allowed to make mistakes and grow on the job or will they be replaced as soon as they make a mistake with backups that are supposingly not good enough to start?

That's a false attribution. In recent years, we've had 6th [and 7th] men play as much if not more than the starters.

There are lots of answers to your "token starter" question. I don't happen to necessarily agree with them all, but there is no immutable basketball law that says that the starters have to play the majority of the minutes. Starting is irrelevant if you are garnering extensive playing time and making contributions to the team.

Again, it is not about who starts--who finishes games is far more important, IMO.

Grant was not healthy for the last month and teams figured out how to beat us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom