Why Syracuse will be better than last year's Final Four team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse will be better than last year's Final Four team

BJ's High School team played somewhat of a SU type 2-3 zone this past year and he was very effective on the wing and out top in which he was the verbal QB of the defense. So he is familiar with some of the movements and defensive assignments. He will just like anyone coming in have to make the adjustments while learning the system.

That is good...so hopefully the learning curve for him will be much smaller/smoother...I am really excited about this team and look forward to seeing them play on TV and especially when they come down here to play at FSU!!

Yeah. Fans showing spirit is a good thing but sometimes it gets carried away, way to far. Many carry it all the way up to conference play before the find that their fanaticism is dilusional then blame the players. I prefer honest clear assessment with hopefulness. Like knowing SU = NC 2014. :)

But really, would you prefer we get excited about our prospects of being successful over the summer, or just grumble and talk about how much we're going to suck, like I imagine Rutgers fans not named Al do every time they stop to consider that they root for Rutgers?

Just curious, what has BJ gotten his weight up to?

At this point, I think the major hurdle for him to get playing time next year is obviously adding strength. He's a shooter, and shooting is an absolute premium in college basketball, so if he can handle the jump from high school to college in terms of physicality I don't see much reason for him not to get some minutes other than simply being stuck behind Gbinije, Cooney, and CJ (and possibly Jerami if he improves his skill set, and maybe Buss) for minutes at the 2/3 spots.
BJ lastly was 186 about 5wks ago. I would say that he is closer to 190 at this time with time to work on his body for another 1.5months to work with the trainers before they head to Canada. Coaches would like to see BJ around 195-200 maintaining his quickness this year. Photo May 30th
BJ work.jpg

You must have not seen BJ play and the fact that he has the quickness and length to play out top and the wing as stated by the SU coaching staff. You must have forgotten that until JS got suspended he played at the top of the zone and BJ is much more quicker and athletic then JS. So doubt on.
BJ Sr., you're awesome... but I think you need understand our perspectives as fans; if we were to believe every father's opinion of their son's ability we'd expect nothing short of a NC every year. I hope to god you're right about everything, but we've been conditioned over decades to temper expectations of incoming freshmen.

Before we list incoming freshman as reasons why we should be better than last years team, let's remember that DC2 was supposed to be a big man that could immediately have an impact on interior scoring and rebounding with polished post moves and NBA size. We have absolutely no clue how these freshman will respond this year.

We may have a more talented team next year, but it may not be better.

BJ Sr., you're awesome... but I think you need understand our perspectives as fans; if we were to believe every father's opinion of their son's ability we'd expect nothing short of a NC every year. I hope to god you're right about everything, but we've been conditioned over decades to temper expectations of incoming freshmen.
There is no reason to inflate or falsify anything about BJ's BB ability as a father and as a fan to believe that he will be a great player at SU but with the understanding that there will be growing pains in the process to become great. The coaches have him and he will be ready for all challenges that they put in front of him. Remember, BJ said to get ready for a NC. Since he stated the similar thing before the start of the HS season to win a State CHIP, I'm going with this GUY.
states victory 2013.jpg
With Travel Mercies, He will be on Campus tomorrow afternoon and knowing him probably in the gym in the evening getting in a workout once he settled in. Me and Mrs. OG will be there until Sunday afternoon.

There is no reason to inflate or falsify anything about BJ's BB ability as a father and as a fan to believe that he will be a great player at SU but with the understanding that there will be growing pains in the process to become great. The coaches have him and he will be ready for all challenges that they put in front of him. Remember, BJ said to get ready for a NC. Since he stated the similar thing before the start of the HS season to win a State CHIP, I'm going with this GUY.
View attachment 4014 With Travel Mercies, He will be on Campus tomorrow afternoon and knowing him probably in the gym in the evening getting in a workout once he settled in. Me and Mrs. OG will be there until Sunday afternoon.

Enjoy The Cuse OG!!

My family and I will be up there mid-end of July...haven't been back there for about 4-5+ years...

Before we list incoming freshman as reasons why we should be better than last years team, let's remember that DC2 was supposed to be a big man that could immediately have an impact on interior scoring and rebounding with polished post moves and NBA size. We have absolutely no clue how these freshman will respond this year.

We may have a more talented team next year, but it may not be better.
If the skill set and ability of the incoming group is identified by the coaches to be ahead of the some guys that they have currently(including last year's team) at the frosh level. I believe that the strategy and scheme that the coaching staff will be able to get these guys to be a real good team this year and for years to come.

This will be a first for Mrs. OG to see the campus.

Nice...hope you two enjoy it. In July, definitely plan on making a trip to The Hill and showing my 7 year old son the Mecca of College Baskeball...NY's College Team home...The capital of Orange Nation...could keep going...

We are losing our starting backcourt and another significant contributor, who also started a ton of games as well. But at Syracuse we don't rebuild, we RELOAD. I think we'll be just fine. At the very least, it will be an athletic, fun team to watch. There may be some growing pains but there is an awful lot of returning and incoming talent. ACC, look out!

Nice...hope you two enjoy it. In July, definitely plan on making a trip to The Hill and showing my 7 year old son the Mecca of College Baskeball...NY's College Team home...The capital of Orange Nation...could keep going...

I'd say the Harvard of Central New York, but I prefer to think of Harvard as the Syracuse of Boston. Only with ty athletics.

If the skill set and ability of the incoming group is identified by the coaches to be ahead of the some guys that they have currently(including last year's team) at the frosh level. I believe that the strategy and scheme that the coaching staff will be able to get these guys to be a real good team this year and for years to come.
Skill set and ability don't always immediately translate to on court production. Fab Melo took a year to become productive, not spectacular but merely productive. Dion Waiters may have been our most talented player as a freshman, but it took him a year to learn how to play the college game. My expectations are higher for Grant, DC2, Gbinije, and Cooney than any of the freshman, if only because of their experience. That's not to say I don't think the freshman aren't talented, but I learned a long time ago to not have expectations one way or the other when it comes to them.

OGBJ, I'd just like to add that it's a pleasure having you on this message board. Thank you for your insights and updates. I understand your enthusiasm for your son and the program. As fans, we too are excited to watch BJ's progress in Orange. Best of luck to you and your son as you make it up to the Hill.

By the way, I'm struck by how much BJ resembles a Freshman CJ Fair, as far as his build and stature. BJ looks like the prototypical SU wing...long, lean and athletic.

You simply cannot say we will be better than a FF team unless you think we will win the NC. ...

Huge -- huge-- difference between "better than" and "more successful as far as postseason accomplishments."

2013 was very exciting, but that was a very flawed team that struggled for a big portion of the year. It was great that they played three weeks of very good basketball (read: defense) at the best possible time, but it's entirely possible that this year's group will be better.

Huge -- huge-- difference between "better than" and "more successful as far as postseason accomplishments."

2013 was very exciting, but that was a very flawed team that struggled for a big portion of the year. It was great that they played three weeks of very good basketball (read: defense) at the best possible time, but it's entirely possible that this year's group will be better.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We got to the Final Four, sure, but NO ONE would argue (unless they are insane) that this past year's team was better than the year before, or the Wesley Johnson team, despite the fact neither of those teams reached the Final Four. This team has the potential to be better, but honestly the NCAA Tournament is to a degree a crapshoot so it's impossible to make that the sole measure of how good a team actually is.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We got to the Final Four, sure, but NO ONE would argue (unless they are insane) that this past year's team was better than the year before, or the Wesley Johnson team, despite the fact neither of those teams reached the Final Four. This team has the potential to be better, but honestly the NCAA Tournament is to a degree a crapshoot so it's impossible to make that the sole measure of how good a team actually is.

Drawing Indiana (don't get me wrong; they were a very good team) was like winning the lottery. Crapshoot is the right word to describe it.

Absolutely this team has some questions. Ennis without a doubt is the key. As good as MCW was he was drafted on his potential, not simply on his production from last year. I guess I don't think the drop off will be as significant because I believe there are things that Ennis is better at already than MCW is, like shooting and game management (by which I mean the game will not be too fact for Ennis). The frontcourt will be better without a doubt. Subtract JSouth and bring back 5 other froncourt players with an additional year experience and add Roberson and Johnson? I expect Roberson as a freshman to better than JSouth was last year at everything except maybe shooting. Backup PG is a concern. Gotta hope Ennis stays healthy. Shooting? SU was not a great shooting team last year. They won't be great this year either likely but there are lots of guys who will get a chance to show they can make shots. Are we over excited abotu our freshman? Maybe. But most of our "disappointing" freshman the past few years have been big guys. Obokoh likely won't get a chance to disappoint. Ennis is the only one we're asking a lot from. We just need a shooter from the Roberson, GBinje, Johnson, Patterson group.

Trust me. I hope you're right. But it isn't everyday that you see a 6-7 SG in the collegiate game.

Holy hell. Could you image Gbinije at the point and BJ at the 2? 6-6 and 6-7 backcourt. That's just about as big as most teams forwards. Excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor.
I don't care how tall they are. The main question is, how well can they play the zone. It takes a heck of lot more than height and length.

Absolutely right, guys. I do think we will be a better team than last year, like I said, at least on paper. But this doesn't guarantee we'll going to win a national championship by any stretch - it just gives us a chance. So much depends on matchups and peaking at the right time and luck, in addition to how talented you are as a team. So I'll stand by my assertion that "we will be a better team and have a good chance to win the ACC and get to the championship game."

Also, note that in my OP I'm not really depending all that much on our freshmen - with the obvious exception of Tyler Ennis. I think Roberson and BJ and Patterson add depth, which is still a plus, but it's really guys like Fair and Christmas and Coleman and Keita and Gbinije, plus the one freshman Ennis, I'm really counting on and basing my argument on. Also, with Ennis, I realize that it often takes a year or two for freshmen to get ready to play productively at the college level, but I will point out it typically takes longer for centers like we know from Fab and DaJuan last year, and is a little quicker for guards. And the good news is Ennis doesn't have to be as productive as a freshman Jonny Flynn or GMac. If he can come close to freshman Brandon Triche, that's all we need from him.

The past year and this coming year most remind me of 1985-86, and 1986-1987. WE had a first round draft pick in Pearl, lost 2 valuable senior's in Rak, Alexis, brought in a big Freshmen class, and almost won the National Championship. The General became our leader, team first point guard, and Ennis has the same mentality, there were no superstar's that year, everyone accepted their role including our 2 MacDonald's All-American's.

Who is going to be a consistent scorer outside of CJ? Saying anyone at this point is sheer conjecture.

Who filled this role last year? Even CJ wasn't as consistent scoring as many on this board choose to remember. A drop off in offense isn't a concern of mine for next year. We were far from an offensive machine last year and won a lot of games because of our defense. A drop off in our defense is what concerns me. I am not saying it will happen, but if we can play defense on par with last year I think we can and will be better than last year. However, being better doesn't mean we return to the Final Four since as we saw last year NCAA Tournament success has a lot to do with matchups.

You simply cannot say we will be better than a FF team .

Imo, What will make this team different is consistancy. Can Dajuan Gbinije and Ennis be the solid go scorers. The guy you want as a first/second option on any team in the country or will they show inconsistancies and be more of a 3rd option like even our best teams in recent years.

As far as march you really can't judge you lose one game and your out. you can be the best team in the country against the 16th best and if you don't match up well then you can lose. You got to understand that cuse players have bad games on offense in march when we lose.

What makes this team special is Fair and Dajuans ability to isolate and score consistantly. Isolation scorers are the most consistant. Also Gbinijes height to dribble like a pg, rediculous speed, finishing in the lane in motion/off screens. His ability to pullup very good, with some isolation skills, the potential to be really consistant at creating his looks and finishing every night without a rest in big moments. Gbinije has the potential to be way more consistant the southerland, Triche or MCW this year.

Compare that to Southerland not being able to get open to shoot and mike being doubled in the high post and his layups shut down once he drove against michigan. Michigan was able to shut their strengths down and plan B didn't work for them Gbinije and Dajuan might be able to overcome that every night. BJ Patterson and Roberson Grant are all developing a sidestep pullup to shoot off the dribble or a post up faceup shot they have a outsider chance of being a solid go to guy even as a freshmen. Rak will be Rak he could surprise I would like to hear he practiced sliding laterally all offseason at the four to make his leg musclesPaul Harris-ish but thats wishfull thinking.

I think Ennis will bring a driving offense as opposed to a entry pass one. They will be forced to double him with a second defender in the high post at times, but he could have a better outside shot then MCW on top of it. Keita being a 35 year old Veteran out there. That is why this team can be better.

This team has atleast 5 third scoring options but its up for Dajuan, Gbinije, possibly Ennis with a outside chance of someone else ALSO to be more. The other thing is unselfishness the coach is going to play the best players for certain situations, but the players need to buy into it and I think they will 100% as our bigs lead the way as upperclassmen and freshmen know sometimes you have to be patient.

Hearing the staff want BJ and Gbinije as a SG in the zone means they are thinking he can handle the responsibility defensively. Thats much different then them grabbing Mookie for his offense as a SG for his outside shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom