Why West Virginia Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why West Virginia Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- They have been ranked higher than us all year and had their eye on beating Oklahoma and making the playoff. We’ve just risen to this level and haven’t proven yet that we belong here, (see the Notre Dame game).

- We’ve had a great season but the waves have sort of parted for us. Florida State and Louisville collapsed. Clemson was changing quarterbacks the week we played them. Everybody else was mediocre at best. At that we had to pull some games out of the fire to win them. West Virginia will probably be the third best team we’ve played this year. Will we be up to it.

- Yeah, they are missing their quarterback, a receiver and a lineman. If we lost Eric Dungey, Jamal Custis and Koda Martin we wouldn’t be as good, but I think we’d still be a good team. West Virginia has been at this level longer than we have. I’m sure the guys replacing those players are good players who have probably played extensively. They are probably next year’s starters at those positions. If the defections knock them down, it’s probably half a notch.

- Yeah, this is not the bowl game they wanted to play in. they are used to bowl games and wanted more this year. But can we assume that that means that they won’t play hard to win? Sometimes teams come together in these situations.

- The Big 12 is often thought of as perhaps the 5th best power five conference, a place where they play no defense. That might not be true and their teams might be out to prove it isn’t. We haven’t played a Big 12 team in years so how do we know? The ACC was no great shakes this year.

- We had quite a year on offense and special teams. But our defense wasn’t always so special. It will get tested today, especially with Alton Robinson and McKinley Williams still out. The best pass defense is a pass rush. We have pretty good players replacing them but as I pointed out in another post, we have to replace the replacements. Coaches like to alternate linemen to keep them fresh. If we are using second stringers to replace the first stringers, we may not be able to do that or we might pay the price if we do. The pass rush might not be there at the end of the game when it matters.

- Good Dungey or bad Dungey? And will DeVito be ready if we need him? That UNC performance sure had some ups but it had some downs, too.

- They have been ranked higher than us all year and had their eye on beating Oklahoma and making the playoff. We’ve just risen to this level and haven’t proven yet that we belong here, (see the Notre Dame game).

- We’ve had a great season but the waves have sort of parted for us. Florida State and Louisville collapsed. Clemson was changing quarterbacks the week we played them. Everybody else was mediocre at best. At that we had to pull some games out of the fire to win them. West Virginia will probably be the third best team we’ve played this year. Will we be up to it.

- Yeah, they are missing their quarterback, a receiver and a lineman. If we lost Eric Dungey, Jamal Custis and Koda Martin we wouldn’t be as good, but I think we’d still be a good team. West Virginia has been at this level longer than we have. I’m sure the guys replacing those players are good players who have probably played extensively. They are probably next year’s starters at those positions. If the defections knock them down, it’s probably half a notch.

- Yeah, this is not the bowl game they wanted to play in. they are used to bowl games and wanted more this year. But can we assume that that means that they won’t play hard to win? Sometimes teams come together in these situations.

- The Big 12 is often thought of as perhaps the 5th best power five conference, a place where they play no defense. That might not be true and their teams might be out to prove it isn’t. We haven’t played a Big 12 team in years so how do we know? The ACC was no great shakes this year.

- We had quite a year on offense and special teams. But our defense wasn’t always so special. It will get tested today, especially with Alton Robinson and McKinley Williams still out. The best pass defense is a pass rush. We have pretty good players replacing them but as I pointed out in another post, we have to replace the replacements. Coaches like to alternate linemen to keep them fresh. If we are using second stringers to replace the first stringers, we may not be able to do that or we might pay the price if we do. The pass rush might not be there at the end of the game when it matters.

- Good Dungey or bad Dungey? And will DeVito be ready if we need him? That UNC performance sure had some ups but it had some downs, too.

Yeah, I don’t think so. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom