Why Wouldn't Dino Stay? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why Wouldn't Dino Stay?

As long as we pay him, pay the staff and continue to invest in Football, I think he stays.

Along with wins will come one of the best home field advantages in CFB at a packed out Carrier Dome. (Which just so happens to be ideal for his philosophy)

Along with wins comes buckets of money for the University.

Along with wins come better experiences for current students who go on in life to become the future donors.

It's really a no-brainer. I'm hopeful that those in the know seem confident we can hold onto Dino. The rest of us will need to see evidence that this school is, to borrow a phrase from Clemson, "All-In".

"Why wouldn't Dino Stay?"

Simple...

giphy.gif

People seem to forget. your good where you are at, until you're not. I am very happy at my job. In early August a former colleague reached out about an opportunity. I always listen to potential opportunities, and said sure, lets do lunch. Next thing you know they backed up the Brinks truck, and made me an offer i couldnt refuse. Its really that simple. So if Tenn came along and offered 4-5M dollars, you cant blame the guy for leaving to double his salary.

The BoT, AD, Chancellor will impact his decision to stay or go probably as much as his favorite coffee stop in the AM. At the end of the day, he wants to be in Syracuse or not. You guys get too hung up on certain people impacting the decision. If he feels like he can live in Syracuse, win in Syracuse and get compensated in Syracuse they will round the edges and figure it out. If he's gonna Tom O'Brien us to death year in and year out, it's probably likely he's gonzo once the job he really wants opens up.

Those are the facts from my lofty perch.

Simple...

giphy.gif

People seem to forget. your good where you are at, until you're not. I am very happy at my job. In early August a former colleague reached out about an opportunity. I always listen to potential opportunities, and said sure, lets do lunch. Next thing you know they backed up the Brinks truck, and made me an offer i couldnt refuse. Its really that simple. So if Tenn came along and offered 4-5M dollars, you cant blame the guy for leaving to double his salary.

That’s when it’s up to your current employer to match. If they do, it’s harder to leave. Job security pays a big part as well.

If he goes 9-3 here people love him.

If he goes 9-3 at Tennessee/A&M/Arkansas/LSU they want him fired because he’s not Saban.

Last edited:
That’s when it’s up to your current employer to match. If they do. It’s harder to leave. Job security pays a big part as well.

If he goes 9-3 here people love him.

If he goes 9-3 at Tennessee/A&M/Arkansas/LSU they want him fired because he’s not Saban.

People bring this up all the time. I don't buy it. There is the competitive nature of these coaches. They want to succeed at every level. They think they can succeed at every level. So why not take the job. If it doesnt work out, then you fail, get paid and move on to the next one. Look at Charlie Strong.

People bring this up all the time. I don't buy it. There is the competitive nature of these coaches. They want to succeed at every level. They think they can succeed at every level. So why not take the job. If it doesnt work out, then you fail, get paid and move on to the next one. Look at Charlie Strong.
There was an article about black HCs that stated most don't get a second chance if they fail at a program.

Coaches strike when they are hottest. That could mean a new deal at a new school or a contract extension with huge buyout.

It really depends if Dino and his agent think he has more leverage at the end of this season or if they think next season could be even better and give him more leverage with SU/more chances at ideal openings.

We are worrying about losing Dino right now but if we go 1-4 or 0-5 to end the season the talk stops right there. That also plays into Dino's decision to take a job like Tenn at the end of this season rather than wait for another job if next season we regress.

Just like bball players declaring early for the draft a coach has to weigh their present value and the current market against the risk of future potential/future market.

I don't understand why people think we aren't going to pay to retain Babers. In a proactive fashion.

We have ACC money now, the old days of tightening the belt out of necessity aren't our current reality. Time to spend some of that money to keep things rolling.

Wins like last Friday jazz up the fanbase, and demonstrate how important it will be to retain Dino Babers under all circumstances. I wouldn't be surprised to see this win jumpstart momentum with the dome renovations, too.

We need to be proactive in doing what we can do to help fill the done for wake.

Simple...

giphy.gif

Not everyone thinks this way and stage of life can also impact the drive for more money. He's 56 and his kids are on their own. He's making way more than enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. Like others have said, he's got a chance to get to the national championship playoff at SU because of the ACC. And, if he does it just one time, he will not have to worry about the external forces from those big schools that can throw the big money around. Coach Mac really only had a few good years here and he is revered at SU and CNY.

Babers doesn't strike me as a person who chases money for money's sake. If he leaves SU, it will be for other reasons, imo (facilities, institutional support, coaching staff salaries, etc.)

Agreed. Dino doesn't strike me as a guy that shies away from pressure.

Not everyone thinks this way and stage of life can also impact the drive for more money. He's 56 and his kids are on their own. He's making way more than enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. Like others have said, he's got a chance to get to the national championship playoff at SU because of the ACC. And, if he does it just one time, he will not have to worry about the external forces from those big schools that can throw the big money around. Coach Mac really only had a few good years here and he is revered at SU and CNY.

Babers doesn't strike me as a person who chases money for money's sake. If he leaves SU, it will be for other reasons, imo (facilities, institutional support, coaching staff salaries, etc.)
That bottom part is included in $$$ though. If it were as simple as just paying Dino $4-5 mil, ok, just pay him.

We also need to invest in the coaching staff and facilities.

If Wildhack and Dino are on the same page and they talk regularly - the relationship is solid - then it's really about the list of things they both come to the table with (Wildhack: Wins, Making the school/athletic dept look good, academic benchmarks, etc - Babers: $ stuff, dome renovations, Tucker, etc). I think the crowd on Fri helped with the "build it and they will come" stuff that he needs to be able to recruit against some of the big boys.

But to be clear - if the relationship is solid and they are communicating honestly - a lot of it then comes down to the BoT. Speculating what they'll do is tough... We've not been in this situation for a looooong time.

Last thing I'll say is that he's been very complimentary of the other Syracuse stuff - traffic here vs big city traffic, small college town feel, the change in seasons. There's a lot to like.

That bottom part is included in $$$ though. If it were as simple as just paying Dino $4-5 mil, ok, just pay him.

We also need to invest in the coaching staff and facilities.
He may very well require SU to increase his staff salary budget in order to retain/recruit key positions. My point was that I don't think Dino is going to leave SU because of HIS salary. For instance, if SU doubled his staff budget, I don't think he would say, "I need to get $4-$5MM too, or I'm off to [wherever]."

He's a competitive guy who I'm assuming wants a chance to run the biggest show he can. IF we get to 7-5 or 8-4 - his charisma, fun style, and message are going to have major schools knocking, and we won't be able to compete if one of those is the job he wants. I have to think he has one job he is eye balling.

Thanks for all of the reassurance guys but I won't relax about us retaining him until/unless he declares SU his dream job!

Too lazy to retype it all:

Extend Dino tomorrow

And one last thing, heard him on mike and mike and was shocked to hear his approach to this win. Most coaches of convention are immediately spouting coach speak about moving on to the next game. Not this guy he's emphasizing how he is allowing them time to revel in the win. Was shocked to hear that.

Most meathead coaches certainly and even coaches in general who are hyper competitive (sometimes to there own detriment) would be moving on right away with not only this game but with their career in general as their DNA will always push them to seek out the next challenge and greater $ since that's almost part of the USA's DNA too, this sometimes almost in spite of themselves when we're talking these kind of numbers($) being all set for the rest of life either way.

Everything about this guy seems different. He's smarter than most, he's so in control of his emotions, his concerns about others is off the chart (kind of, surprisingly, like dabo and his visit to our locker room along with his embrace and words to Dino), and his response to this win is different.

Unlike the one and doners and melo I tried to convince myself would stay, the circumstances surrounding this all, his age, and the guy himself lead me to believe that if we pony up enough to at least be in the game, show the continued commitment elsewhere to staff and facilities, then this will at least be a 50/50 decision with him when the opportunity arises. If he was young then no way.

So at least there'd be a chance we could have a long term coach and all the fun that would come with it.

Last edited:
I can’t believe this conversation. People said he had to go a couple weeks ago. That the system won’t ever work here.

What I choose to believe: he himself said upon being hired, that he’s sick of moving, and this is a destination job. If that changes, cry in your beer then. He might leave someday. Worry about it when it happens.

I can’t believe this conversation. People said he had to go a couple weeks ago. That the system won’t ever work here.

What I choose to believe: he himself said upon being hired, that he’s sick of moving, and this is a destination job. If that changes, cry in your beer then. He might leave someday. Worry about it when it happens.
Tell me about it. I think it's been said in a 1000 different threads about a 1000 different topics, but winning does seem to cure all, as well as give a lot of individuals short term memory loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom