Why Wouldn't Dino Stay? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why Wouldn't Dino Stay?

If Dino were to leave it won't be because of money or facilities or the AD or Chancellor or BOT. It would be because of fan support...or lack of. Both in the stands and the wallet.

This discussion reminds me of the reaction to the Mets buying the Chiefs. "They're going to take out team away!" Maybe, maybe not. In the meantime we should enjoy having the Mets as our major league tam. (Obviously, if you're Met fan but even if you aren't - they are in new York state and we do get their games so you can follow the progress of ex-Chiefs in the major leagues on a game-by-game basis.)

So let's feel good about what is happening and hold the bad feelings for when something bad happens. If we are worried he might leave, that means he's doing well here. Let's make sure to enjoy that.

MPW-54094.jpg

Last edited:
I can think of two million reasons he mighty not stay. Chance to double his salary and compete for a national title. He gone.

I bet he goes to Tennessee.
No way

There is no way anyone that is not a cclose personal friend or family member knows what Dino's long range plans are. Ill quote the man himself, " have faith without evidence" I think he will want to finish the job here at the least" (2 more years) after that ,who knows.

I am just going to enjoy this while I can, give money to the coaches fund when I can and ultimately, just enjoy the ride.

As for the Tennessee talk - Babers can probably do better but the reason his name gets tossed around there is due to their game to start the year in 2015. Bowling Green came out on fire and the offense went for almost 600 yards. Tennessee fans came away impressed and seeing his team upset Clemson reinforced that.

Tennessee had losing seasons in 5 out of 6 seasons. Jones comes in and goes 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4. And now they’re 3-1. They’re getting better. Why would they want a new coach?

Those people are stupid, entitled, and irrational and live in a bubble and see nothing but their team. All those big southern programs gotta be complete hell holes to coach at.

This discussion reminds me of the reaction to the Mets buying the Chiefs. "They're going to take out team away!" Maybe, maybe not. In the meantime we should enjoy having the Mets as our major league tam. (Obviously, if you're Met fan but even if you aren't - they are in new York state and we do get their games so you can follow the progress of ex-Chiefs in the major leagues on a game-by-game basis.)

So let's feel good about what is happening and hold the bad feelings for when something bad happens. If we are worried he might leave, that means he's doing well here. Let's make sure to enjoy that.

MPW-54094.jpg

The local media really feeds into the locals self loathing.

That was the first thing that Waters mentioned on twitter.

Axe/Infanti/Mink talking about Dino leaving after the win on Friday shouldn't be the lead story.

I like that the local media covers our sports as well as they do, but they certainly feed into the negativity of a Syracuse Sports fan.

The local media really feeds into the locals self loathing.

That was the first thing that Waters mentioned on twitter.

Axe/Infanti/Mink talking about Dino leaving after the win on Friday shouldn't be the lead story.

I like that the local media covers our sports as well as they do, but they certainly feed into the negativity of a Syracuse Sports fan.

Yup. This whole discussion is completely ridiculous. Like I said yesterday...way too many Costanza’s who think nothing good can ever happen to them.

Dino Babers is our coach, these other teams can watch from the sidelines in envy. Unless they wanna get brave and come up here and see it first hand and get a whuppin’. ACC champs by ‘20. This is our time to live baby!

When you hire a college coach, you hope that he is so good that other programs will want to hire him. If Babers builds on the Clemson victory momentum and continues to win with exciting football, schools will come after him. Don't worry about that now, just enjoy the ride.

I just want to clarify my initial post - it was meant as a jab at people who think he's automatically gone. And while it is annoying that after a big win like this we have to think this way, it was put out there and will be until we A) win consistently at the highest level and B) have much better fan support.

Hopefully both will happen over the next year or two.

Tennessee had losing seasons in 5 out of 6 seasons. Jones comes in and goes 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4. And now they’re 3-1. They’re getting better. Why would they want a new coach?

Those people are stupid, entitled, and irrational and live in a bubble and see nothing but their team. All those big southern programs gotta be complete hell holes to coach at.

Who knows if Babers would be interested in Tennessee, but I think the expectations are very (too?) high for the program and this may be one of the toughest coaching jobs due to the expectations. Butch Jones is 3-3 this year including 0-3 in the SEC. His overall record at Tennessee is 33-24 and 14-21 in the SEC, so he is probably out after this year. Tennessee, like Syracuse, is in a difficult division and the ceiling, over the long run, is probably the 3rd best team in their division after Florida and Georgia. The last head coaching search was difficult, which I think is indicative of the attractiveness of the job, and they ended up settling on Jones.

The only potential opening that I would worry about is UCLA as Babers grew up in San Diego and he was an assistant at UCLA. Great recruiting in your own backyard, so the job has a high ceiling and it seems like the job pressure would be lower than the SEC.

Who knows if Babers would be interested in Tennessee, but I think the expectations are very (too?) high for the program and this may be one of the toughest coaching jobs due to the expectations. Butch Jones is 3-3 this year including 0-3 in the SEC. His overall record at Tennessee is 33-24 and 14-21 in the SEC, so he is probably out after this year. Tennessee, like Syracuse, is in a difficult division and the ceiling, over the long run, is probably the 3rd best team in their division after Florida and Georgia. The last head coaching search was difficult, which I think is indicative of the attractiveness of the job, and they ended up settling on Jones.

The only potential opening that I would worry about is UCLA as Babers grew up in San Diego and he was an assistant at UCLA. Great recruiting in your own backyard, so the job has a high ceiling and it seems like the job pressure would be lower than the SEC.

They don’t have the DOME or the ACC! Syracuse football and a unique, cutting edge, ahead of the curve coach/system go hand in hand.

marrone left and this was his "dream job". YES it could definitely happen again.

ESPNU just had Dino on and the hosts of the show both concluded that other schools are coming to get him

Everyone just needs to stop this...This place can turn into a middle school gossip blog in the matter of minutes.

Thread after thread with insecure people all the freaking time...just enjoy life for once will ya.

And his losses are to Florida, Georgia and South Carolina not exactly MTSU types. Good luck for anyone coaching there. The Tee Martin days are looong gone. Unreal expectations. Anyhow UCLA might be the biggest concern, I’m glad I stopped worrying about it all life’s too short.

As you may recall, when Dino was being recruited he very early on had his agent tell schools he was done and he was not entertaining other offers. He had his job and it turned out to be Syracuse.

He had immediately understood the possibilities of the dome for his style of play. He knew he could recruit here and succeed in the ACC, as good a conference as there is.

This is a smart confident guy who took a huge pay cut to be a HC at Eastern Illinois - he bet on himself big time. That bet has paid off.

If he is happy and is winning and believes he can compete at the highest level, he will stay. He won't need the last dollar to do so either.

Just look at how Charlie Strong was treated at Texas and Sumlin at TAM. I am sure that has not escaped the attention of all potential black head coaches.

The ACC has changed things at Syracuse. We have 20 million more each year with much more on the way. We have finished paying off the Big East exit fee. We are in a great conference that has national attention.

We are a small school, but so are TCU, Miami, Baylor, Duke, UVA, Pitt, Wake Forest, Navy and even Notre Dame.

In short, at SU Dino can achieve any professional goal he may have in a far better environment for himself and his family than anywhere in the SEC or for that matter, the ACC.

I think he stays and retires here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom