Why Wouldn't Dino Stay? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Why Wouldn't Dino Stay?

Brent will just make the excuse that if “ I don’t write it, it doesn’t mean it isn’t true”. Bud Poliquin 2.0.

That Axe article today is so frustrating. Let me call people who cover college football nationally and see if they think he’ll leave. Just makes this whole school seem so insecure and small time.

Is there an editor in the house?

My favorite was Bailey upset (publicly on twitter) that Dabo gave out injury info at halftime. Don't complain publicly - that works the opposite way you want it to.

Not sure what one has to do with the other. Care to explain? Other than each was a good win years and several coaches apart.

No one know how things will play out the rest of this year. Just like no one would've guess we'd lose the last five games of the season after that big WVU win in 2011.

No one know how things will play out the rest of this year. Just like no one would've guess we'd lose the last five games of the season after that big WVU win in 2011.
Yes, exactly. We need to let the season play out. Then see if Coach Babers is in hot demand. Then deal with it.

Did Coach Mac get looks from college teams after we beat Nebraska or after the Sugar Bowl? Coach P w the Gator Bowl or after we beat Miami 66-13? Reason is because those coaches weren't out there sniffing around at every job opening

Coaches drive the bus on whether they want to be in the picture for jobs. Tom O'Brien habitually did this. Jeff Jagodzisnki got fired for just thinking about going to the Jets.

Dino is either directing his agent to do this or to put the brakes on any speculation. My suspicion, not knowing the guy, is he hasn't made that call yet. But if he's feeling like Syracuse can get him to his bigger job, u will see the real football writers w their "Sources saying" that X and Y jobs would be perfect for Dino. It's how it works.
Different era

People bring this up all the time. I don't buy it. There is the competitive nature of these coaches. They want to succeed at every level. They think they can succeed at every level. So why not take the job. If it doesnt work out, then you fail, get paid and move on to the next one. Look at Charlie Strong.

Agreed. A) they feel like they will dominate at the big school. B) When it doesn't work out, they still get paid a ton. There isn't a huge downside at least for an ambition head coach.

My favorite was Bailey upset (publicly on twitter) that Dabo gave out injury info at halftime. Don't complain publicly - that works the opposite way you want it to.

I'm with bailey. Not just giving injury information is lame and pointless.

Yes, exactly. We need to let the season play out. Then see if Coach Babers is in hot demand. Then deal with it.

So I haven't read the whole thread but my comments are these:

-- This point above is a good one. I would imagine that Dino leaving would be to a big-time gig. A big-time program needs him to have a good year, I'd say 8-4 minimum, to sell him to boosters and alumni. We know how things are trending but selling that to the alumni at ND if Kelly tanks the second half of this year is a different story. I really think we're safe for this year and I would guess that maybe this becomes a much more legitimate discussion after year 4. Maybe year 3 if that Clemson win accelerates things.

-- Extend. Don't extend. Not sure that's really a factor. It'd be nice to adjust the buyout in exchange for a raise, but i think the commitment to paying assistants and keeping up in the arms race facilities wise will be every bit as big.

-- To me, for Dino, I would guess his thought is how legit is his opportunity to play meaningful football here. Obviously the conference is a good one, but does he get enough support to bring this program back and perhaps exceed what we've seen since at least 92? I'm not sure the current economics and power structure allow it. I may be wrong (hope I am), but if I'm not and he shares that thought, he may feel his only chance to really get to that college playoff is at a bigger school. We shall see I suppose.

I'm with bailey. Not just giving injury information is lame and pointless.

Point isn’t “should he be upset?” - but stop complaining and whining about it publicly. It doesn’t help his cause.

Oh, well. Done complaining about it. ;)

Central Florida is getting the money ready to keep Scott Frost from being poached by Nebraska. If we become bowl eligible, SU may want to move ahead and have money in place to pay Coach Babers and his staff. I am not sure SU can afford to pay what a Texas, Tennessee or Notre Dame would pay. If we can't come up with the money, we better find backers who will and we need to start now. Of course, if we bomb this year, that changes everything.

Central Florida is getting the money ready to keep Scott Frost from being poached by Nebraska. If we become bowl eligible, SU may want to move ahead and have money in place to pay Coach Babers and his staff. I am not sure SU can afford to pay what a Texas, Tennessee or Notre Dame would pay. If we can't come up with the money, we better find backers who will and we need to start now. Of course, if we bomb this year, that changes everything.

Central Florida shouldn’t waste their time. He gone

A major part of an AD's job at a P5 football school is to have a list of your next coach at the ready. It stinks and I don't think ADJW will have to worry about it this year, but he had better have an idea because you never know what the future holds.

Texas paid Strong $5 Million a year with contract language that still owes him $9 million over the next 2 years. We're not going to pay a coach $5 million and we shouldn't.

I'd extend Dino back out to 5 years, increase him to $3.3 million with $140K annual increases topping $4 million by the end of 5 years. I'd go with a front heavy buyout that decreases to zero by the end of his contract. I'd up his assistants salary pool to something like $2.7 million per year and increase it up to $3.5 million by the contracts final year.

He gets more money, his staff gets more money and the longer he stays he and his staff get even more money.

That would put him 4th in the ACC (he's currently about 7th) and in the top 30 range. By the end he'd be 3rd ACC; 20th Nationally. I also think assistant's salaries would be a really big deal to him so that has to be examined maybe even more so.

Last edited:
I'm off the ledge.

Mrs. Babers has said it's more important for him to prove himself, as opposed to the $$.

Here's what he's proven. He's won 1 game a year, over ranked opponents.(woot). Players, recruits, and about half the old farts on this board would run through a brick wall, for him.

Would being one of the 84 teams that make a bowl, really be proving himself? As a head coach, has he proven he can win with his high school recruits? Has he proven he can return a program to greatness? Proven that he can be in the top 25, every week?

What does he prove keeping a top 25 "big" program in the top 25? That he can get the job?

No. I think he has his sights set on greatness. True greatness can be found here. The stuff legends are made of. There is more work to do.

"Why Syracuse? Why NOT Syracuse!"

Last edited:
What if I told you that it'd already been started long before this weekend?

Texas paid Strong $5 Million a year with contract language that still owes him $9 million over then next 2 years. We're not going to pay a coach $5 million and we shouldn't.

I'd extend Dino back out to 5 years, increase him to $3.3 million with $140K annual increases topping $4 million by the end of 5 years. I'd go with a front heavy buyout that decreases to zero by the end of his contract. I'd up his assistants salary pool to something like $2.7 million per year and increase it up to $3.5 million by the contracts final year.

He gets more money, his staff gets more money and the longer he stays he and his staff get even more money.

That would put him 4th in the ACC (he's currently about 7th) and in the top 30 range. By the end he'd be 3rd ACC; 20th Nationally. I also think assistant's salaries would be a really big deal to him so that has to be examined maybe even more so.
Are you philosophically opposed to the University paying that salary or is it just not financially possible for Syracuse to do so?

I tend to think that a perennial Top 25 Syracuse Football Program with the ability to make a run at the CFP would pay for that salary ten-fold but I admit to not knowing our financial status.

Agreed that we will need to make MAJOR promises to keep up in the arms race in accords to staff and facilities in order to keep any successful HC, not just Dino.

What if I told you that it'd already been started long before this weekend?

Here's a thought thats gone through my head while admiring Dino's presence infront of the camera and mic.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed here at SU, eventually retired after a successful career and then was hired on by espn... or anyone else.
A million likes! Why couldn’t he stay and become the name of SU football, as Boeheim is for basketball? Why wouldn’t that be appealing? I believe he is the kind of person for whom that WOULD appeal.

Granted, I don’t know him at all.

Are you philosophically opposed to the University paying that salary or is it just not financially possible for Syracuse to do so?

I tend to think that a perennial Top 25 Syracuse Football Program with the ability to make a run at the CFP would pay for that salary ten-fold but I admit to not knowing our financial status.

Agreed that we will need to make MAJOR promises to keep up in the arms race in accords to staff and facilities in order to keep any successful HC, not just Dino.

Good question; I’ll have to say my opinion is that the 5 mil is not really the market. Only 8 schools pay that much (from the info I’ve found.) Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, FSU, Texas, aTm and I believe Clemson. I’d pay that much if the coach earned it – by wining division titles and making a playoff.

The numbers I threw out are top third of the conference and top 30 nationally. Dino is proving to me he deserves it and not because he beat Clemson. But because he has the ‘it’ factor and gets it, its obvious, and he'll get this team into the top25 and competing for an ACC championship.

If DFB thinks he can win a national championship here, there is no reason for him to leave.

He can.

End of discussion.
Eeee...First sentence, I agree. Second sentence, I agree...but that is only the beginning of the conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom