Wildhack Interview (Bowl Games, Dino extension, Gameday) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Interview (Bowl Games, Dino extension, Gameday)

How does the Hokies' football staff size stack up compared to the rest of the ACC?

• 37 -- Syracuse
  • 35 -- Clemson (no grad assistants listed)
  • 33 -- Florida State (no grad assistants listed)
  • 33 -- Louisville
  • 32 -- N.C. State
  • 31 -- North Carolina
  • 30 -- Duke
  • 29 -- Miami
  • 28 -- Virginia (no strength coaches listed)
  • 26 -- Virginia Tech (no grad assistants listed)
  • 26 -- Boston College
  • 25 -- Wake Forest
  • 24 -- Pittsburgh (no grad assistants listed)
  • 19 -- Georgia Tech ( no grad assistants listed)
I'm pretty sure SU's number includes personnel who never are on-field drilling players. And, as noted, Clemson's (and others) don't include GA's.

How does the Hokies' football staff size stack up compared to the rest of the ACC?

• 37 -- Syracuse
  • 35 -- Clemson (no grad assistants listed)
  • 33 -- Florida State (no grad assistants listed)
  • 33 -- Louisville
  • 32 -- N.C. State
  • 31 -- North Carolina
  • 30 -- Duke
  • 29 -- Miami
  • 28 -- Virginia (no strength coaches listed)
  • 26 -- Virginia Tech (no grad assistants listed)
  • 26 -- Boston College
  • 25 -- Wake Forest
  • 24 -- Pittsburgh (no grad assistants listed)
  • 19 -- Georgia Tech ( no grad assistants listed)
iu

?

If gameday is at Yankee stadium there will be tons of 'Cuse fans there. They sold out of our allotment and there will be plenty who buy from secondary markets/otherwise.

Plenty of Orange will be in NYC next weekend

Hope you're right UO.

Dino is a west coast guy and his age is not a factor. He gone. It's better to come to terms with it now and just enjoy the rest of the season.

Dino is a west coast guy and his age is not a factor. He gone. It's better to come to terms with it now and just enjoy the rest of the season.

Gone to where?

And you have solid evidence for this?

it was interesting listening to chip morris talk about his HS job and that they had 300 staff, but that was the full staff including 8th, JV, varsity

If I could dislike a post, this would be the one. The only place that should be tempting to him is USC and we don't even know if that'll be open. Unless you think he's leaving to coach at Kansas.

Last edited:
In this cycle, it does not appear (at this time) that there are going to be any big openings. Things can certainly change, but consider this:

USC is a possibility, ... however, things are an absolute mess in Troy, what with the massive s e x-ual misconduct allegations (over decades) and pending litigation against the university and its former campus health-clinic gynecologist (link: USC faces massive litigation over doctor's alleged s e x abuse - Los Angeles Times). Plus, Chip Kelly's slow start at UCLA has not placed any immediate pressure on the USC administration. They can play this out for at least another year.

Due to the scandal, they have a interim university president (as of August 2018), and no one is terribly trusting of leaving things entirely in the hands of AD Lynn Swann. Last time they allowed the AD to make his own breaks, they ended up with (a too young/immature) Lane Kiffin and later, Steve Sarkisian. Both good coaches in a vacuum, but both were disastrous hires.

I just don't think USC has their ducks in a row to make a coaching change and I don't think that Dino would bite at joining that atmosphere with so many unknowns. Swann (66 y.o.) is not likely to be there in 3-4 years either. He's got his own money, and worse, he is no John Wildhack.

Otherwise, what premium jobs are opening in the next 6 weeks?

Long shot on Ohio State/Urban parting ways, but they'd gravitate toward a younger Ohio native by the name of Matt Campbell, anyhow. Bama, UGa, Florida, Texas, TAMU, UCLA, Washington, Oklahoma, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame are all in a good spot. LSU too, unless they have an unforeseen bad flame-out to end the season. I guess you could concoct an Auburn (6-3, 3-3) scenario, but it seems far-fetched to me. Even Arizona and ASU have brand spanking new head football coaches. North Carolina? Maybe three Decembers ago they'd have been higher in Dino's pecking order, but not now.

Folks, all signs as of Nov. 7 point to Syracuse Football being "stuck" with Dino.
Brutal, huh? (sarcasm)

Yeah, definitely a huge mess there. The interim President situation is delicate. Even with some of those internal issues you highlighted; they still needed to do something. Swann being another football guy with no admin experience is a bit of a pawn as well in terms of keeping the athletic department from deviating from the country club status-quo. But, they had to to do something. The optics of the football program aside from those internal situations are bad. Everywhere you look it’s ‘Fire Helton’ on any message boards, in tons of video comments (those that haven’t been disabled), or respected writers questioning the staff. Last game the attendance was in the 40Ks and the renovation there is making things a pain in the ass for season ticket holders. Some were forced to change seats which pissed off a bunch of people.

So, Helton was forced to fire his best friend (and a second father-type) Neal Callaway the OL Coach and demoted Tee Martin the OC. Helton is now calling the plays. The Sunday before the change Helton was asked in a radio show if any changes were to be expected to the staff. He point blank said no and that they would maintain the current course of the ship. He has his weekly Monday meeting with Swann the next day and later on that day Callaway is gone and Martin is demoted. I think Helton has a chance to save his job if they finish well. If he falls on his sword as the only play-caller now and they get blown out and/or look inept offensively then I think he’s gone. Based on what I hear, the school probably doesn’t want to make a change unless absolutely necessary with all of the other unfavorable attention going on elsewhere there.

That is not even remotely the point. Every one of those "prestige" top 10 programs has gone through recent down years. Every one of them.

The question is whether Dino would leave a place tailored to his style of football, where he will not be on the hot seat if he fails to post back-to-back ten win seasons.

Dino will be able to retire here if he wants to. Once you hit your 50s, that counts for something. Who wants permanent job INsecurity?

Syracuse has had four head coaches over 10 years. Two of the prior three did not leave voluntarily.

There is no tenure given to any college coach. It’s all insecurity except for whatever $$$ guarantees negotiated in a contract. So if that’s the only guarantee, I could see why one would want to follow bigger opportunities/$.

Syracuse has had four head coaches over 10 years. Two of the prior three did not leave voluntarily.

There is no tenure given to any college coach. It’s all insecurity except for whatever $$$ guarantees negotiated in a contract. So if that’s the only guarantee, I could see why one would want to follow bigger opportunities/$.
But, that's the point. You write a significant buyout into the contract (see Ash at Rutgirls) and it's basically a guarantee. And, if you are 58+ years old, you could be guaranteed right into retirement.

USC is winning the pac-12 south going to a bowl and who knows what they do in the pac-12 title to go to the rose bowl.

if that gets you fired

and why is he a west coast guy. hawaii is not west coast, he has coached all over.

USC is winning the pac-12 south going to a bowl and who knows what they do in the pac-12 title to go to the rose bowl.

if that gets you fired

and why is he a west coast guy. hawaii is not west coast, he has coached all over.

You keep beating this drum about the bowl and P12S. It’s not the point. Those should be givens considering how weak the P12 S is year in and year out. That should set you up for the Top 4, especially considering USC has the fourth most 4/5* guys on the roster currently in the country. You are not supposed to be getting blown off the field in any sort of marquee, blue blood OOC, or bowl matchup. If he stays it is NOT because of getting to some crappy bowl and winning the P12 S. It’s because the admin views other issues going on around campus more important as well as the interim Pres not having enough power to override certain people and forces I won’t get into. You think Meyer, Dabo, or Saban survive with all of these debacles in games, players questioning lack of toughness in practices to the media, and those non-conf performances, lol?

Personally, I think Swann and a couple of high profile boosters want him out ASAP. I just don’t think the BoT want to make changes unless absolutely necessary and the interim Pres truly has no say in this matter. Academics are stronger than ever currently at USC as well.

Last edited:

if that gets you fired

The he gone post was sarcasm as the poster noted "wrong font"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom