Wildhack Interview (Bowl Games, Dino extension, Gameday) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Interview (Bowl Games, Dino extension, Gameday)

I really think there are only a handful of jobs that Dino would consider leaving for. I think he is here for the long haul. He is what 58 years old? He has been a coaching nomad practically his whole career. He will finally have a roster full of "his guys" next year. Does he really want to leave and start over somewhere else again? It would take another 4 years to turn over the roster, which would put him at 62. Then there's no guarantee they will have the same success as we are showing this year. Plus you can tell the future is bright just by going down our roster. Does he really want to give that up? I think this season is showing him that he can win at a high level just where he is. Plus being in the ACC allows you to play national heavyweights on an annual basis, but also allows a manageable schedule the rest of the way. As far as recruiting everything is done much more on a national level these days. Sure it helps to have a fertile recruiting territory close to home, but we managed in the past and will again in the future, as well as we win. If a respectable offer is made to Dino, his staff, and a commitment to stay on top of facilities, I don't see Dino leaving for the next "better" job that comes calling. It's not like we aren't a P5 program with a rich history. It's going to take a USC, Texas, or Oklahoma going all in. Even then none of them have a Dome, and you know how Dino loves his offense in a controlled environment . These articles that will pop up linking to him jobs like Maryland are going to be an absolute joke.

I really think there are only a handful of jobs that Dino would consider leaving for. I think he is here for the long haul. He is what 58 years old? He has been a coaching nomad practically his whole career. He will finally have a roster full of "his guys" next year. Does he really want to leave and start over somewhere else again? It would take another 4 years to turn over the roster, which would put him at 62. Then there's no guarantee they will have the same success as we are showing this year. Plus you can tell the future is bright just by going down our roster. Does he really want to give that up? I think this season is showing him that he can win at a high level just where he is. Plus being in the ACC allows you to play national heavyweights on an annual basis, but also allows a manageable schedule the rest of the way. As far as recruiting everything is done much more on a national level these days. Sure it helps to have a fertile recruiting territory close to home, but we managed in the past and will again in the future, as well as we win. If a respectable offer is made to Dino, his staff, and a commitment to stay on top of facilities, I don't see Dino leaving for the next "better" job that comes calling. It's not like we aren't a P5 program with a rich history. It's going to take a USC, Texas, or Oklahoma going all in. Even then none of them have a Dome, and you know how Dino loves his offense in a controlled environment . These articles that will pop up linking to him jobs like Maryland are going to be an absolute joke.
I think this year shows that we can win the ACC with Dino. He can accomplish what he wants here. Playoff is unquestionably possible as our roster improves.

95C80828-676D-48D9-A452-20397A154BEC.jpeg

Great post.

I think people are forgetting that he saw a program get pulled up into national relevance by good coaching over a bunch of years in Baylor.

It didn’t end well, obviously. But I’d imagine there’s an allure to growing a program like that.

Just a thing to keep in mind about Babers leaving in the past. He has left two head coaching jobs. First was 2013 Eastern Illinois, as Jimmy Garoppolo was leaving. Second was Bowling Green in 2015, when Matt Johnson was a senior and leaving. So his past has shown a history of leaving for bigger jobs instead of rebuilding with a new QB.

He never said it but I think he saw a true freshman in Dungey and saw a kid he could eventually win with and that's at least a part of why he took the job.

But he has to see Devito as a guy who can really play, so why leave when you have pretty much everything right here?

Just a thing to keep in mind about Babers leaving in the past. He has left two head coaching jobs. First was 2013 Eastern Illinois, as Jimmy Garoppolo was leaving. Second was Bowling Green in 2015, when Matt Johnson was a senior and leaving. So his past has shown a history of leaving for bigger jobs instead of rebuilding with a new QB.

He never said it but I think he saw a true freshman in Dungey and saw a kid he could eventually win with and that's at least a part of why he took the job.

But he has to see Devito as a guy who can really play, so why leave when you have pretty much everything right here?

Money and an easier path to a national championship, plain and simple. Just don't know what jobs will be out there and how things will work. Things change and there is always a chain reaction

Great post.

I think people are forgetting that he saw a program get pulled up into national relevance by good coaching over a bunch of years in Baylor.

It didn’t end well, obviously. But I’d imagine there’s an allure to growing a program like that.

That's the million $$ question

Kansas was going to spend $300 million on their stadium, but instead is delaying that and is going to invest the money into a coach and staff. Les Miles is a strong possibility, but I don't believe his style of football fits the Big12, and his starting pay must be upwards of $5 million.

John...please don't make promises we can't keep. I hope he's right but how would the logistics of this work?

?

If gameday is at Yankee stadium there will be tons of 'Cuse fans there. They sold out of our allotment and there will be plenty who buy from secondary markets/otherwise.

Plenty of Orange will be in NYC next weekend

Money and an easier path to a national championship, plain and simple. Just don't know what jobs will be out there and how things will work. Things change and there is always a chain reaction

Clearly those would be the two primary draws - money and path to NC.

?

If gameday is at Yankee stadium there will be tons of 'Cuse fans there. They sold out of our allotment and there will be plenty who buy from secondary markets/otherwise.

Plenty of Orange will be in NYC next weekend
I’m a diehard cuse basketball fan since birth but not per say a football fan. I’m a Clemson fan and I know this is conflicting for many reasons but in the past it wasn’t (conference realignment sucks sometimes). The reasoning behind this difference though all makes sense. I live in the Hudson valley and my family is huge Syracuse basketball fans. However, I am a clemson legacy and have had three family members play at Clemson. So they’re both natural obviously. Anyways to my main point, I’m going to the cuse Notre Dame game next week because I root for Syracuse whenever they aren’t playing Clemson, and also because I support Syracuse. I have no doubt that The fans will more than show out.

I’m a diehard cuse basketball fan since birth but not per say a football fan. I’m a Clemson fan and I know this is conflicting for many reasons but in the past it wasn’t (conference realignment sucks sometimes). The reasoning behind this difference though all makes sense. I live in the Hudson valley and my family is huge Syracuse basketball fans. However, I am a clemson legacy and have had three family members play at Clemson. So they’re both natural obviously. Anyways to my main point, I’m going to the cuse Notre Dame game next week because I root for Syracuse whenever they aren’t playing Clemson, and also because I support Syracuse. I have no doubt that The fans will more than show out.
This is terrible (not picking on you specifically) when fans pull for multiple colleges in different sports. This goof I work with is a Duke alum and pulls for Duke basketball but he pulls for Alabama in football. So of course I was curious and I was told because Duke football stinks. So, of course, you decide to become a Alabama fan...ok.

Major as compared with Clemson? Notre Dame? Michigan or OSU? Most of the SEC?

Getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Dude, we have a seat at the table. Because of who we play every year, if we are good and beat them, we will ALWAYS be in the national conversation. That is definition of "major".

This is terrible (not picking on you specifically) when fans pull for multiple colleges in different sports. This goof I work with is a Duke alum and pulls for Duke basketball but he pulls for Alabama in football. So of course I was curious and I was told because Duke football stinks. So, of course, you decide to become a Alabama fan...ok.
It’s weird because in most cases I agree. But I give benefit to people who like me grew around two different programs. I hate bandwagons more than almost anyone so it’s a weird position.

I think the 10 major programs are the ones most are concerned about. I don’t dispute the school plays big boy football but to mistake Syracuse for USC, Texas A&M, or Florida is frankly foolish. I love Syracuse because it isn’t a factory mind you. Just saying those schools throw good money after hot shot coache perpetually. Someone of that ilk will come at Dino. Will he bite, no one knows.

That is not even remotely the point. Every one of those "prestige" top 10 programs has gone through recent down years. Every one of them.

The question is whether Dino would leave a place tailored to his style of football, where he will not be on the hot seat if he fails to post back-to-back ten win seasons.

Dino will be able to retire here if he wants to. Once you hit your 50s, that counts for something. Who wants permanent job INsecurity?

That is not even remotely the point. Every one of those "prestige" top 10 programs has gone through recent down years. Every one of them.

The question is whether Dino would leave a place tailored to his style of football, where he will not be on the hot seat if he fails to post back-to-back ten win seasons.

Dino will be able to retire here if he wants to. Once you hit your 50s, that counts for something. Who wants permanent job INsecurity?

Psychopath coaches who make up 90% of the applicant pool to coach football. You guys make it seem like these college coaches are somewhat grounded individuals. They are all crazy in their own ways.

I agree, I wouldn't leave now with the AD we have, the facility that works for his brand, and the school itself (i liked b/c i selected going there). However, Dino isn't me and we don't know what he will do. His MO so far is to move around ALOT. That's the theme. if he bucks that and stays that's awesome for the school.

People like to chase the prestige of the bigger schools. If they didn't no one would ever leave the situations like Syracuse because the job security is unlimited.

Psychopath coaches who make up 90% of the applicant pool to coach football. You guys make it seem like these college coaches are somewhat grounded individuals. They are all crazy in their own ways.

I agree, I wouldn't leave now with the AD we have, the facility that works for his brand, and the school itself (i liked b/c i selected going there). However, Dino isn't me and we don't know what he will do. His MO so far is to move around ALOT. That's the theme. if he bucks that and stays that's awesome for the school.

People like to chase the prestige of the bigger schools. If they didn't no one would ever leave the situations like Syracuse because the job security is unlimited.

Well, you do have to win games here. You can't stay forever if you are Gerg, or Shafer, or even Pasqualoni.

In this cycle, it does not appear (at this time) that there are going to be any big openings. Things can certainly change, but consider this:

USC is a possibility, ... however, things are an absolute mess in Troy, what with the massive s e x-ual misconduct allegations (over decades) and pending litigation against the university and its former campus health-clinic gynecologist (link: USC faces massive litigation over doctor's alleged sex abuse - Los Angeles Times). Plus, Chip Kelly's slow start at UCLA has not placed any immediate pressure on the USC administration. They can play this out for at least another year.

Due to the scandal, they have a interim university president (as of August 2018), and no one is terribly trusting of leaving things entirely in the hands of AD Lynn Swann. Last time they allowed the AD to make his own breaks, they ended up with (a too young/immature) Lane Kiffin and later, Steve Sarkisian. Both good coaches in a vacuum, but both were disastrous hires.

I just don't think USC has their ducks in a row to make a coaching change and I don't think that Dino would bite at joining that atmosphere with so many unknowns. Swann (66 y.o.) is not likely to be there in 3-4 years either. He's got his own money, and worse, he is no John Wildhack.

Otherwise, what premium jobs are opening in the next 6 weeks?

Long shot on Ohio State/Urban parting ways, but they'd gravitate toward a younger Ohio native by the name of Matt Campbell, anyhow. Bama, UGa, Florida, Texas, TAMU, UCLA, Washington, Oklahoma, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame are all in a good spot. LSU too, unless they have an unforeseen bad flame-out to end the season. I guess you could concoct an Auburn (6-3, 3-3) scenario, but it seems far-fetched to me. Even Arizona and ASU have brand spanking new head football coaches. North Carolina? Maybe three Decembers ago they'd have been higher in Dino's pecking order, but not now.

Folks, all signs as of Nov. 7 point to Syracuse Football being "stuck" with Dino.
Brutal, huh? (sarcasm)

Last edited:
Dude, we have a seat at the table. Because of who we play every year, if we are good and beat them, we will ALWAYS be in the national conversation. That is definition of "major".
The first game we played in the ACC--at home vs. Clemson. Tigers warming up, put through their paces by their coaches. My friends and I started counting the number of their staff--coaches, GA's, interns, whatever. We got to 35 before the whistle sounded and they reshuffled. That is Clemson, doing their (very successful) SEC impersonation. That is not SU, and I doubt it ever will be. Two different worlds.

The first game we played in the ACC--at home vs. Clemson. Tigers warming up, put through their paces by their coaches. My friends and I started counting the number of their staff--coaches, GA's, interns, whatever. We got to 35 before the whistle sounded and they reshuffled. That is Clemson, doing their (very successful) SEC impersonation. That is not SU, and I doubt it ever will be. Two different worlds.
How does the Hokies' football staff size stack up compared to the rest of the ACC?

• 37 -- Syracuse
  • 35 -- Clemson (no grad assistants listed)
  • 33 -- Florida State (no grad assistants listed)
  • 33 -- Louisville
  • 32 -- N.C. State
  • 31 -- North Carolina
  • 30 -- Duke
  • 29 -- Miami
  • 28 -- Virginia (no strength coaches listed)
  • 26 -- Virginia Tech (no grad assistants listed)
  • 26 -- Boston College
  • 25 -- Wake Forest
  • 24 -- Pittsburgh (no grad assistants listed)
  • 19 -- Georgia Tech ( no grad assistants listed)

How does the Hokies' football staff size stack up compared to the rest of the ACC?

• 37 -- Syracuse
  • 35 -- Clemson (no grad assistants listed)
  • 33 -- Florida State (no grad assistants listed)
  • 33 -- Louisville
  • 32 -- N.C. State
  • 31 -- North Carolina
  • 30 -- Duke
  • 29 -- Miami
  • 28 -- Virginia (no strength coaches listed)
  • 26 -- Virginia Tech (no grad assistants listed)
  • 26 -- Boston College
  • 25 -- Wake Forest
  • 24 -- Pittsburgh (no grad assistants listed)
  • 19 -- Georgia Tech ( no grad assistants listed)

Interesting, especially since this is from 2016 and we've had this perception that we are short-staffed. Based on that article, we have one of the largest recruiting departments as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom