Wildhack Interview | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Interview

We can't write the checks the bigger schools write. it's that simple. We don't have a big time donor underwriting the athletic department and the school isn't going to bankrupt itself for football. It's completely foolish to suggest it. And i'm happy with that as an alumni. I'd rather see Kent continue to make Syracuse a select school again and to move up the academic rankings. The prior regime destroyed the reputation of the academics at Syracuse.

Back to the football, If Dino gets a huge offer at a school he wants to coach at, so be it. I am numb to coaches moving to greener pastures. We have been blessed to have Boeheim and Pasqualoni because they were completely happy delivering big time results and not leveraging them into better opportunities. Those two coaches built sustainable programs (one longer than the other). It can happen at Syracuse with more restrictive budget constraints if you find the right people. It's a fantastic program, area if you find the right person. It's a lifetime job if you find the right person.

Let's hope Dino Babers. Is the right person. Don't lose sleep if he isn't. There are other guys out there who can deliver results too. I just like the one we have right now
I’d agree with you if the market looked efficient, but it doesn’t. There is a massive inefficiency in the market. That’s why salaries have been sky rocketing.

Middle tier P5 programs are paying what elite programs were paying under a decade ago. That jump is incredible.

The trick is to be ahead of the curve.

Agree 100%, be interesting to watch. Firing a coach with that many wins doesn't look great when trying to hire a new coach. Basically saying you need to be 12-0 or 11-1 every year or your fired. come on!!

but but but the players don't like him and they want more physical practices.. yeah until johnny from Corte madera has to miss the UCLA game with a concussion from practice and Kent a big donor from Newport Beach doesn't like it either
Also even if they do fire Helton... they are going to hire a coach who has never finished in the top 3/4 of his conference, has never been ranked in the top 25 and has lost to Pitt every year? Really? I love Babers, but I think the Pitt loss and his inability to put a functional D on the field is going to prevent him from going anywhere better than Syracuse this year. My guess is he bets on himself and rolls into next year on a lame duck contract. I also think that we probably have tried to extend him but he has said no because he isn't convinced he can recruit the players he needs to succeed to Syracuse.

next year will be his first year with his players all over. he has never done that anyplace and its a big deal. All the skill guys next yr will be his. the issue still will be can he elevate his D, cause if he goes someplace bigger than SU his D will need to be better too. The acc doesnt have B10 power or Sec Athletes, or B12 offenses, or Pac 12 skill guys.. the Acc has a nice mix of winnable games and the easiest path to a title if you can get past clemson and he has already down he can do that 2 yrs in a row with his offense not really showing up either game. Bc/Wake/Pitt/GT are happy that they have guys who win 6-9 games but will never be elite . Lou who knows, Unc who knows. Nc st not convinced yet. Miami is a question. FSU will be whatever they want. VT who knows and Virg maybe they are on the way up.

its the most winnable conf, ask Clemson.

Also even if they do fire Helton... they are going to hire a coach who has never finished in the top 3/4 of his conference, has never been ranked in the top 25 and has lost to Pitt every year? Really? I love Babers, but I think the Pitt loss and his inability to put a functional D on the field is going to prevent him from going anywhere better than Syracuse this year. My guess is he bets on himself and rolls into next year on a lame duck contract. I also think that we probably have tried to extend him but he has said no because he isn't convinced he can recruit the players he needs to succeed to Syracuse.

Agree 100%. Good post. recruiting, facilities and lack of fan support have him asking the question of what he can actually get done here. In addition, fans are not going to fully support the program until they see demonstrated success and it becomes a big circle because we have been so bad for so long. I think coaches always underestimate how difficult this job actually is and get bogged down and frustrated by many of the limitations that has become Syracuse football. Year 3 seems to be where this really shows itself. Sure, a renovated packed dome would be a GREAT advantage but much much easier said than done.

Altough he did beat Pitt last year FWIW

Last edited:
Honestly it would be a fantastic time to go on a 6 game winning streak and throw a 10 win season out there to show the country we're back. If we do that we'll see big, raucous crowds back at the dome and interest will once again pique for this program. If that means Dino leaves for greener pastures so be it. We can find another hot shot coach who can stand on his shoulders and build upon it. The key is finding the right guys to coach this program. There isn't one guy out there.

I think we just need to start winning consistently again and get back into the top 25. The ACC is starting to go upside down in some places. Let's make things interesting once again in college football.

USC has those what the heck games like SU had with P that drive a fan base crazy.

Yes and when you have Top 5 recruting classes on aggregrate the past five years or so; it’s a problem. Players wanting more detail and more physical practices. They are barely winning these games in the crappy P12 South. No excuse not to be reloading the way Georgia or Clemson does. No chance in hell they beat ND. Helton likes these spread-type Conf USA style offensive linemen who can’t run block against anyone physical. We get overmatched physically against any big time program in a non-conf game. After the 18 penalty game they swore to clean it up. Colorado game after the bye? 13 penalties! It’s a joke and he’s obviously hanging himself from ANYBODY’s perspective close to the program. But, until Babers starts getting to bowls and/or the team stops collapsing after big wins, he ain’t going anywhere. Many alums who are in the wanting Babers camp were disappointed how Pitt beat Syracuse. Top choice and with good reason is Matt Campbell.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Good post. recruiting, facilities and lack of fan support have him asking the question of what he can actually get done here. In addition, fans are not going to fully support the program until they see demonstrated success and it becomes a big circle because we have been so bad for so long. I think coaches always underestimate how difficult this job actually is and get bogged down and frustrated by many of the limitations that has become Syracuse football. Year 3 seems to be where this really shows itself. Sure, a renovated packed dome would be a GREAT advantage but much much easier said than done.

Altough he did beat Pitt last year FWIW

Personally, I think all this stuff is overblown. I think he probably hired an agent mostly to negotiate the extension here, and be ready if something big should pop up. That extension negotiation is probably ongoing, but the board thinks Wildhack is just sitting on his thumbs because they haven't heard it's done.

I'm sure he's frustrated by the crowd sizes. But welcome to a rebuild. I'm sure he knows that he'll have to win more than 4 before really judging it.

There's been so much turnover in college football coaching, he really doesn't have anywhere more appealing to go, especially if he wants to win a championship.

Auburn seems to be the new hot topic. They're going to fire a guy who won the Iron Bowl last year and was locked in a close battle in the SEC Championship game when the 4th quarter started? Yeah, where do I sign up. That would literally be nothing more than a money grab, considering all you'd have to put up with from that fanbase.

USC is winning, Helton isn't going anywhere.

Personally, I think all this stuff is overblown. I think he probably hired an agent mostly to negotiate the extension here, and be ready if something big should pop up. That extension negotiation is probably ongoing, but the board thinks Wildhack is just sitting on his thumbs because they haven't heard it's done.

I'm sure he's frustrated by the crowd sizes. But welcome to a rebuild. I'm sure he knows that he'll have to win more than 4 before really judging it.

There's been so much turnover in college football coaching, he really doesn't have anywhere more appealing to go, especially if he wants to win a championship.

Auburn seems to be the new hot topic. They're going to fire a guy who won the Iron Bowl last year and was locked in a close battle in the SEC Championship game when the 4th quarter started? Yeah, where do I sign up. That would literally be nothing more than a money grab, considering all you'd have to put up with from that fanbase.

USC is winning, Helton isn't going anywhere.

IF they lose prior to ND, get blown out by ND, and get blown out in a bowl, he’s gone. No question. I have heard that some BoT there are really putting pressure on Swann. To have another 13 penalty game after they swore to clean it up after the bye. Stuff like this. F the wins against P12 S. Helton has no pull or traction there. He couldn’t even stick up for Bubba Bolden in his situation. He wasn’t even informed the Coliseum was getting new grass a few weeks ago. He was surprised and learned of it first in a presser by Dan Weber, lol. It’s a total clown show.

IF they lose prior to ND, get blown out by ND, and get blown out in a bowl, he’s gone. No question. I have heard that some BoT there are really putting pressure on Swann. To have another 13 penalty game after they swore to clean it up after the bye. Stuff like this. F the wins against P12 S. Helton has no pull or traction there. He couldn’t even stick up for Bubba Bolden in his situation. He wasn’t even informed the Coliseum was getting new grass a few weeks ago. He was surprised and learned of it first in a presser by Dan Weber, lol. It’s a total clown show.

What if they beat Utah this week, and then beat ND?

I read stuff like this and think being head coach at Syracuse for $3M per year doesn't sound so bad after all.

What if they beat Utah this week, and then beat ND?

I read stuff like this and think being head coach at Syracuse for $3M per year doesn't sound so bad after all.

The heat is justified. You see Syracuse players going to media asking/begging for tougher practices, lol? Give me a break. Utah will probably be a tough game but they SHOULD theoretically blow all these teams out in the S. I don’t know. I just know that there IS heat on Helton internally. That’s all I’ll say.

The heat is justified. You see Syracuse players going to media asking/begging for tougher practices, lol? Give me a break. Utah will probably be a tough game but they SHOULD theoretically blow all these teams out in the S. I don’t know. I just know that there IS heat on Helton internally. That’s all I’ll say.

I don't follow them that closely, but I don't know how they win with such dysfunction. We've seen countless cases in college football where more talented teams are blown off the field, because they're a disorganized mess.

Auburn and USC (and others) just seem like the kind of place you want to negotiate a stupid Petrino level buyout. Otherwise, why put up with it?

Yes and when you have Top 5 recruting classes on aggregrate the past five years or so; it’s a problem. Players wanting more detail and more physical practices. They are barely winning these games in the crappy P12 South. No excuse not to be reloading the way Georgia or Clemson does. No chance in hell they beat ND. Helton likes these spread-type Conf USA style offensive linemen who can’t run block against anyone physical. We get overmatched physically against any big time program in a non-conf game. After the 18 penalty game they swore to clean it up. Colorado game after the bye? 13 penalties! It’s a joke and he’s obviously hanging himself from ANYBODY’s perspective close to the program. But, until Babers starts getting to bowls and/or the team stops collapsing after big wins, he ain’t going anywhere. Many alums who are in the wanting Babers camp were disappointed how Pitt beat Syracuse. Top choice and with good reason is Matt Campbell.

Matt Campbell will be coaching at Ohio State after Meyer.

I don't follow them that closely, but I don't know how they win with such dysfunction. We've seen countless cases in college football where more talented teams are blown off the field, because they're a disorganized mess.

Auburn and USC (and others) just seem like the kind of place you want to negotiate a stupid Petrino level buyout. Otherwise, why put up with it?

It’s because they have Top 5 aggegrate talent and load up against P12 S teams. In the ACC/SEC/B10 they wouldn’t be able to overcome the dysfunction. If they were in an east coast high profile media market then their internal woes especially would be more scrutinized and covered. They can’t get some of the youth on the field because they are in tight games in the 4Q this year. Oh, we’ll see about Utah. Porter Gustin, their best defender and a potential Clay Matthews clone is now done for the season.

USC would be Dinos dream job. Unless we have an amazing finish and USC a big collapse i doubt the dots get connected.

USC would be Dinos dream job. Unless we have an amazing finish and USC a big collapse i doubt the dots get connected.

I think people are underestimating the USC situation in a big way. Many of my relatives went there and are boosters and echo SoBeCuse. The stars may not align for Dino and USC at the same time but it should be a concern especially if he wins 10 this year and Helton flames out. Dino will want to get paid and, maybe more importantly, get his assistants paid. The high profile of that job will get those guys immediate exposure. Guys like Nick Monroe are on borrowed time at Syracuse because at some point they will want greener pastures.

My bigger point up thread is let's win 10 games this year and hope to retain Dino or find the next Dino. Life won't be over if he decides to up his challenge and go to USC w his team of assistants.

I think people are underestimating the USC situation in a big way. Many of my relatives went there and are boosters and echo SoBeCuse. The stars may not align for Dino and USC at the same time but it should be a concern especially if he wins 10 this year and Helton flames out. Dino will want to get paid and, maybe more importantly, get his assistants paid. The high profile of that job will get those guys immediate exposure. Guys like Nick Monroe are on borrowed time at Syracuse because at some point they will want greener pastures.

My bigger point up thread is let's win 10 games this year and hope to retain Dino or find the next Dino. Life won't be over if he decides to up his challenge and go to USC w his team of assistants.
Dinos year to jump was last year. I truly believe if he had won 7 games he would have been offered as there were so many good programs looking. This year should be relatively quiet.

I don't see any connection with USC for Dino. I don't get it.

However, I know his time at UCLA was special to him. I think he loved it there. He says he still gets goosebumps when he hears their famous '8-Clap' cheer.

UCLA has a mess on their hands and needs a professional program restorer to step in, gut things and rebuild. Dino would be a good choice. That is the school I am most afraid of us losing him to.

Too bad he (hopefully) won't be available.

They just paid Chip Kelly a ton of money and they are not an SEC-type school that fires coaches after a year or two or spends relentlesly on Football. Not worried about UCLA.

However, I know his time at UCLA was special to him. I think he loved it there. He says he still gets goosebumps when he hears their famous '8-Clap' cheer.

UCLA has a mess on their hands and needs a professional program restorer to step in, gut things and rebuild. Dino would be a good choice. That is the school I am most afraid of us losing him to.

USC has a cheap (for them) coach who has no buzz in LA. He's "successful" by any metric but if he falters one bit, they'll have the excuse to can him. They expect to have Heisman QB/RB, Rose Bowls and top 10s. They don't have any of those right now.

LA now has 2 NFL teams and USC isn't the only show in town. They are looking for their next Pete Carroll and want a guy who can bring some pizzazz to their program. They don't operate like most programs, to their detriment most of the time.

If you look at the situations in college/NFL, Dino's name is gonna pop if he rips off wins down the stretch here.

Fire Helton Group: SoBeCuse

I hope you get your wish and find a great coach from the SEC

I think the USC draw for Dino would be: Close recruiting base, bigger program, spent time out West in the past
and deeper Alumni pockets. That said...he might be finally at a point in his life he wants to put a stamp on a program and Cuse presents that opportunity.

USC has a cheap (for them) coach who has no buzz in LA. He's "successful" by any metric but if he falters one bit, they'll have the excuse to can him. They expect to have Heisman QB/RB, Rose Bowls and top 10s. They don't have any of those right now.

LA now has 2 NFL teams and USC isn't the only show in town. They are looking for their next Pete Carroll and want a guy who can bring some pizzazz to their program. They don't operate like most programs, to their detriment most of the time.

If you look at the situations in college/NFL, Dino's name is gonna pop if he rips off wins down the stretch here.

USC > Chargers in LA and it's not even close

Honestly it would be a fantastic time to go on a 6 game winning streak and throw a 10 win season out there to show the country we're back. If we do that we'll see big, raucous crowds back at the dome and interest will once again pique for this program. If that means Dino leaves for greener pastures so be it. We can find another hot shot coach who can stand on his shoulders and build upon it. The key is finding the right guys to coach this program. There isn't one guy out there.

I think we just need to start winning consistently again and get back into the top 25. The ACC is starting to go upside down in some places. Let's make things interesting once again in college football.
Agree!

Didn't UCLA just hire a high profile coach?

If Dino doesn't like seeing empty seats, he's really not going to like UCLA. They nearly get as many empty seats as we have overall seats.