Wildhack Interview | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Interview

Even the self deluding people on this board should be able to see what kind of team and play he is getting out of players that were rated on the low side. Do you think he might have a better team if he had a roster full of USC talent? I'm not putting down our players, they are working very hard, but at USC you get to pick the cream of the crop. Look how good he did at EIU and BGU when he had the superior talent in those conferences.

There is no doubt in my mind Babers would field better results than Helton. At least you wouldn’t have multiple players going to the media asking/wondering about lack of details, wanting better and tougher practices, etc. It’s another story if Swann and the BoT want the spread/finesse stuff at USC. Helton is already trying to do it and it sucks with him. But, yeah, Babers STILL isn’t going anywhere until he can win games like tomorrow (50-50) and make some huge strides in the W-L columns.

There is no doubt in my mind Babers would field better results than Helton. At least you wouldn’t have multiple players going to the media asking/wondering about lack of details, wanting better and tougher practices, etc. It’s another story if Swann and the BoT want the spread/finesse stuff at USC. Helton is already trying to do it and it sucks with him. But, yeah, Babers STILL isn’t going anywhere until he can win games like tomorrow (50-50) and make some huge strides in the W-L columns.
You'll be grasping at straws after SC gets worked over at Utah.

I dont know anything about coaching, but as per JW, it seems odd to publicly tell the party you're negotiating with that you're not talking to their competitors. Not talking to their competitors seems odd in the first place.

Can we shut this thread down now or shall we wait until the end of he 4th?

It’s certainly possible.
How much longer will Swanny go will Helton? If they lose to ND and finish 8-4 or worse, are they looking for a new coach?

How much longer will Swanny go will Helton? If they lose to ND and finish 8-4 or worse, are they looking for a new coach?

Not sure but it is really bad right now. Utah outgained them by around 300 I think and it was something like 27 first downs to 10. The game was not close. Utah had a couple of turnovers late in the game giving USC a short field after it was already a beating. They still are using the C who keeps having snapping problems. Basically the only work they are doing in full pads every week is game day where they are getting crushed by anyone good. Colorado and Arizona aren’t good. They are regressing. He’s a cheap hire and I’m not sure how tied in Swann is with the country club vibe there. But, I know there are some higher ups and some BoT members who are absolutely livid and fed up.

Last edited:
What’s he doing?

The same thing that made Doug Marrone the hottest name for a NFL HC job . He took a program that was an absolute disaster and is turning it into a winner in 3 short years. He has totally overhauled the culture, and turned easily the worst P5 roster into a very respectable ACC caliber roster. He has shown he can win the big games and the program is only going to get better. Marrone was .500 when he left. The people making these hires understand the job he has done.

USC can go hire Babers and it’ll be another 4 or 5 years before he gets them turned around and competing in the top 10. Same city as Chip Kelley to, good luck.

Wrong. He won’t have players going to the media begging/asking for tougher and better practices that’s for sure like what is happening now.

Interesting post. In response, one could make the argument we sucked for 20 years because we didnt spend. It is a bit chicken v the egg.

I am firmly on extending Dino long term no matter what our record is this year. To me, theres plenty of evidence to bet on him being the real deal v not.

The lack of investment in the facilities most definitely had an impact on the demise of the program after 2001. Matter of fact, it was already starting prior to 2001 because our facilities were either out of date or eroding comparatively speaking.

Same could be said about coaching salaries as well. Not on par to our peers and it started to show most obviously at the assistant level.

The following might touch more on salaries bs timing of contracts, but I have a better reason: the right coach can easily be worth 20-30 million, if not more.

Think of how much Baylor made under Briles vs before Briles. Think of how much A&M made in donations (alone) when they won a Heisman.

Paying a coach $6-7 million, plus another couple million for his staff is a steal if he can deliver. Locking the ‘right’ guy at a low rate is icing.

The above is that drives me nuts about SU. I think that we’re *finally* opening up the bank again to fund the football program. But we spent decades worrying about costs without ever considering revenue. In doing so, we missed out on a massive amount of profitability.
A winning FB coach will never be worth that at SU

Wrong. He won’t have players going to the media begging/asking for tougher and better practices that’s for sure like what is happening now.

You think it’ll be less than 4 years to have them in the top 10 even though he’d have to overhaul the roster with new players to fit his system? The one thing he’d have in his favor is a weak pac10 but it ain’t happening anyways.

People who think a new coach will come in and get a program competing in the top ten in 3 years or less are delusional.

You think it’ll be less than 4 years to have them in the top 10 even though he’d have to overhaul the roster with new players to fit his system? The one thing he’d have in his favor is a weak pac10 but it ain’t happening anyways.

People who think a new coach will come in and get a program competing in the top ten in 3 years or less are delusional.

Normally yes but it is so bad right there now. As I mentioned, tough and physical practices would be a welcomed sight. Helton is sort of quietly trying run the spread stuff anyways, IMO. It’s an extreme longshot for these dots to connect but I think I he would do well there quickly with all of the talent that Helton is mucking up.

Normally yes but it is so bad right there now. As I mentioned, tough and physical practices would be a welcomed sight. Helton is sort of quietly trying run the spread stuff anyways, IMO. It’s an extreme longshot for these dots to connect but I think I he would do well there quickly with all of the talent that Helton is mucking up.
Do you believe SC is going to be in the market for a coach? Earlier in the thread you said Dino's resume was too thin for him to be a candidate, has your opinion changed now?

Do you believe SC is going to be in the market for a coach? Earlier in the thread you said Dino's resume was too thin for him to be a candidate, has your opinion changed now?

Not sure. I need to take my heart and mind out of it which involves ties to both SYR/USC.

What I do know is that the fanbase and factions of the big money under the table are livid and want Helton gone immediately. Plenty of rubes just point to the wins-losses but it’s other things. Players asking for better practices/questioning coaching to the media. We should be dominating the P12 S and reloading the way Clemson does. Tee Martin is a joke. His wonderlic was so low that he cannot process the information thrown his way as an OC. Especially when bullets are flying in live time. He just doesn’t have the aptitude to diagnose certain situations quickly enough.

I do know that some high profile alumni and others like Babers a lot. I think everyone wants to see him do well. A bowl game will help that. Personally, I think he would be a homerun hit at USC but he already is at Syracuse. You give Babers a JT Daniels and those skill players...lights out! I know a lot of people feel Orgeron got a raw deal not being given the gig after he did so well as interim coach. Matt Campbell is at the top of the list.

I and many others don’t quite know and have a hard time gauging where Swann stands on all of this. There are definitely vultures circling and restlessness in South Central. Read some of Dan Weber’s stuff. He’s like a Mike Waters emeritus version. Super plugged in and tells it how it is. Former player and trainer. Old timer beat writer who is VERY respected.

Last edited:
As I've said before, USC is the only school that I think could be a possible threat this offseason, assuming we end strong.

As I've said before, USC is the only school that I think could be a possible threat this offseason, assuming we end strong.
Exactly. I'm sure Dino will get some benefit package increase, so the mid-level programs really won't be able to lure him. It's those marquee jobs that are a worry, and USC is one of them.

Not sure. I need to take my heart and mind out of it which involves ties to both SYR/USC.

What I do know is that the fanbase and factions of the big money under the table are livid and want Helton gone immediately. Plenty of rubes just point to the wins-losses but it’s other things. Players asking for better practices/questioning coaching to the media. We should be dominating the P12 S and reloading the way Clemson does. Tee Martin is a joke. His wonderlic was so low that he cannot process the information thrown his way as an OC. Especially when bullets are flying in live time. He just doesn’t have the aptitude to diagnose certain situations quickly enough.

I do know that some high profile alumni and others like Babers a lot. I think everyone wants to see him do well. A bowl game will help that. Personally, I think he would be a homerun hit at USC but he already is at Syracuse. You give Babers a JT Daniels and those skill players...lights out! I know a lot of people feel Orgeron got a raw deal not being given the gig after he did so well as interim coach. Matt Campbell is at the top of the list.

I and many others don’t quite know and have a hard time gauging where Swann stands on all of this. There are definitely vultures circling and restlessness in South Central. Read some of Dan Weber’s stuff. He’s like a Mike Waters emeritus version. Super plugged in and tells it how it is. Former player and trainer. Old timer beat writer who is VERY respected.

I'm curious, what's really left after that? ;):)

Matt Campbell in LaLa, I can not see that. He is sooo midwestern.

Matt Campbell in LaLa, I can not see that. He is sooo midwestern.

agreed and he's an Ohio boy. He'll be at the front of the Ohio State line after Meyer.