Wildhack Interview | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Interview

Didn't UCLA just hire a high profile coach?

If Dino doesn't like seeing empty seats, he's really not going to like UCLA. They nearly get as many empty seats as we have overall seats.

And he'll be given three years to produce at UCLA.

Selfishly I want Babers to be successful on the Hill long enough to be able to hand off the next job to his top assistant with a smooth turnover. It has to happen after 3 to 5 more years though for that to work.

He is 57 years old. He is in the ACC. He is at a private university that boasts the Maxwell School, the Newhouse School and the Whitman School that is getting better and better. He has an indoor football stadium that will only get better. He lives in a community that is easy to traverse. He is working for an employer that will never insist upon national championships or undefeated seasons - with decent success he will have a job for life. And, he will continue to make more money than he ever dreamed he would make.

He has the chance to be a legacy coach here.

He has a chance to finally stop moving around the country and establishing a permanent place in a nice community.

He should stay for the next 15 years.

He is 57 years old. He is in the ACC. He is at a private university that boasts the Maxwell School, the Newhouse School and the Whitman School that is getting better and better. He has an indoor football stadium that will only get better. He lives in a community that is easy to traverse. He is working for an employer that will never insist upon national championships or undefeated seasons - with decent success he will have a job for life. And, he will continue to make more money than he ever dreamed he would make.

He has a chance to finally stop moving around the country and establishing a permanent place in a nice community.

Please send him your excellent post! :)

Honestly it would be a fantastic time to go on a 6 game winning streak and throw a 10 win season out there to show the country we're back. If we do that we'll see big, raucous crowds back at the dome and interest will once again pique for this program. If that means Dino leaves for greener pastures so be it. We can find another hot shot coach who can stand on his shoulders and build upon it. The key is finding the right guys to coach this program. There isn't one guy out there.

I think we just need to start winning consistently again and get back into the top 25. The ACC is starting to go upside down in some places. Let's make things interesting once again in college football.
Preach, brother, preach.

You don't have to sell me. I love the place, i made it home for 4 years and consider myself a proud alum. However, the money part is somewhat incorrect. He can make much more money elsewhere and above all, that's driving the engine for people. I always take the job that offers me 3x more money and a contract.

Very few (Boeheim/Pasqualoni) have turned down greener pastures. If Dino is another i'll be astonished and psyched. I'm not holding my breath.

You don't have to sell me. I love the place, i made it home for 4 years and consider myself a proud alum. However, the money part is somewhat incorrect. He can make much more money elsewhere and above all, that's driving the engine for people. I always take the job that offers me 3x more money and a contract.

Very few (Boeheim/Pasqualoni) have turned down greener pastures. If Dino is another i'll be astonished and psyched. I'm not holding my breath.

FYI - I don’t think we were the highest bidder for Babers the last go around.

Missouri offered him more money and he chose SU.
Nobody wanted to go to Mizzou and be in the middle of some social activists conflict. Dino wants to coach football, not make political social statements. And no other top coaches wanted that job either.

Missouri offered him more money and he chose SU.

Memphis/Missouri those had warts in a big way. I'm talking about a real move to a major powerhouse. I don't believe he's gonna make a big lateral move either. I'm talking about going into that 5mm range for a HC along with the necessary millions for the assistants.

This is precious.

Memphis/Missouri those had warts in a big way. I'm talking about a real move to a major powerhouse. I don't believe he's gonna make a big lateral move either. I'm talking about going into that 5mm range for a HC along with the necessary millions for the assistants.
I can see USC seriously eyeballing Dino. He looks like a Hollywood casting of a college coach. That Sobecuse cat let it slip. And I think they could go north of 5 million.

Great post and I agree. I was just commenting on if he left what I'd want to have had happen at the very least.

In the short term, yes, most take the big money.

But the big money comes with lots of contingencies. Florida, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Texas, Auburn and others have demonstrated that big jobs are often fleeting.

In the long term Babers likely makes more money by staying for years in an ACC program that checks all the other boxes.

is 5 million to live in Cal really life changing different than 2-3 million in Syr? the house alone out there probably eats all the extra income. Maybe he likes having real weather, less stress to win, and ease to get around.

is 5 million to live in Cal really life changing different than 2-3 million in Syr? the house alone out there probably eats all the extra income. Maybe he likes having real weather, less stress to win, and ease to get around.

I am going to use that the first time it snows. Sun and 70s is fake weather...snow, rain and slop is "real"

You forgot the Architecture School. #4 program in the country.

Seinfeld on Wildhack about the status of Dino Babers, " Yadda, yadda, yadda, no new contact".

I can see USC seriously eyeballing Dino. He looks like a Hollywood casting of a college coach. That Sobecuse cat let it slip. And I think they could go north of 5 million.
Again... USC is going to hire a coach who has never been ranked in the top 25? The program that dominated college football from 2000 to 2010? The program with multiple titles and heisman winners? Okay then.

Again... USC is going to hire a coach who has never been ranked in the top 25? The program that dominated college football from 2000 to 2010? The program with multiple titles and heisman winners? Okay then.
I think that people around the country can see what Dino is doing in Syracuse.

What’s he doing?
Even the self deluding people on this board should be able to see what kind of team and play he is getting out of players that were rated on the low side. Do you think he might have a better team if he had a roster full of USC talent? I'm not putting down our players, they are working very hard, but at USC you get to pick the cream of the crop. Look how good he did at EIU and BGU when he had the superior talent in those conferences.

Even the self deluding people on this board should be able to see what kind of team and play he is getting out of players that were rated on the low side. Do you think he might have a better team if he had a roster full of USC talent? I'm not putting down our players, they are working very hard, but at USC you get to pick the cream of the crop. Look how good he did at EIU and BGU when he had the superior talent in those conferences.

The point is that programs of that stature don’t take a HC from a team without more proof. They have to sell the hire to a lot of people. He’s been good, but not winning but 1 road ACC game, not going Bowling, no division champ, etc. hurts him.

Win 9 this year, maybe.