Wildhack on Orange Nation | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack on Orange Nation

Steve I really believe if they lose badly on Friday night Dino will be gone Saturday.
The University doesn't need a 4th embarrassment, especially at home.
No way, they will have a rationalization. 5-7 isn't that bad, could still make a bowl at 5-7. That was the goal.

If you are gonna make a change at head coach, this off season is the time to do it. We’ll have a new QB under center next year, next year might be the easiest schedule Cuse has had in 10+ years. The time would be right.

The only thing is, who would we replace Dino with? We have to make sure we have our ducks in a row before we fire him and make sure we have good, interested candidates.

Yes Dino has had some bad stretches, bad decisions, said questionable things but he has also done a lot of good for this program. He’s one of the longest tenured coaches in Cuse football history, he is a REALLY solid dude and does things the right way, he got us ranked all the way up to 12 for the first time in FOREVER, we have had sellouts in the dome for the first time in FOREVER, he putting GREAT players in the league on a consistent basis and they are studs on Sundays, he got us to our best bowl game in forever…that we won, we won 10 games for the first time in FOREVER, we have gotten out to some of the best starts in program history. Yes there is a lot to knock on Dino and his flaws but he has done ALOT for this program. If we fire him, we need to make sure we are 100% getting someone better. All I’m saying
Is that you Mrs Babers?

Agree. Let's just let it play out. He said similar thing about JB during basketball season and everyone freaked out and JB "retired" at the end of the season.
Bingo. It was all of 6 months ago when Boeheim was gonna coach as long as he wanted… until he wasn’t.

I suspect the comments about making a bowl are more about waiting until that’s not possible. And it’s possible 6-6 ain’t gonna cut it for him to get an extension. We all know that 6-6 against this creamy soft schedule really stinks.

I agree that Dino is not the long term answer, but I am amazed at the notion that our fan base can’t stomach topping out at 7 or 8 wins a year. We haven’t won that many games a year consistently in a generation.

Can we at least try it for 5-8 years? I would love to travel to bowl games again every year.
I'm totally fine winning 7-8 games a year with an occasional 9-10 win season, and maybe a 5-6 win season every 10 years, but I want the 4-5 losses to at least be competitive against our peers. Beating up on FCS and G5 teams to get to 7 wins is not what I'm looking for.

I think Dino is coaching for his Job Friday. If we get blown out he is gone. We win he lives for another game. Close loss he keeps him for another week.
Naw, that's not how "we" do things at SU. If we lose in 5 consecutive blowouts, he'll get canned end of the season. But a loss this weekend doesn't move the needle much.

If were were to continue to lose I would think that 11/19 is the earliest date Wildhack and the University would pull the trigger. This is the first date a 6-6 record is no longer possible.

I agree that Dino is not the long term answer, but I am amazed at the notion that our fan base can’t stomach topping out at 7 or 8 wins a year. We haven’t won that many games a year consistently in a generation.

Can we at least try it for 5-8 years? I would love to travel to bowl games again every year.
It’s kind of like what Clawson has done at Wake. I'd sign up for it here.

Naw, that's not how "we" do things at SU. If we lose in 5 consecutive blowouts, he'll get canned end of the season. But a loss this weekend doesn't move the needle much.
What are you talking about?

We fired Robinson w two games to go
I think shafer was alerted before last game

We let them finish the season which I’m fine with but we do fire in season. Diff here is we could do it with 3 games to go if we got smoked

I'm totally fine winning 7-8 games a year with an occasional 9-10 win season, and maybe a 5-6 win season every 10 years, but I want the 4-5 losses to at least be competitive against our peers. Beating up on FCS and G5 teams to get to 7 wins is not what I'm looking for.
I get what you are saying and agree to a point, but we have been so bad I will take 7 wins any way we can get them as long as we take away the blowouts, or keep them to a bare minimum.

We let them finish the season which I’m fine with but we do fire in season. Diff here is we could do it with 3 games to go if we got smoked

I would be astonished if we fired a coach if 6 wins and a bowl was still mathematically possible. Honestly, I wouldn’t even agree with it at that particular time. Both Shafer and Robinson had 8 losses when they were fired - I think you have to wait until loss #7 to fire Dino. Expecting it to happen - or getting upset it doesn’t - before that is unrealistic.

Two predictions. One, there are not more people in the building than there were for Clemson. Two, I think we win but if we lose Dino is coaching next week.

Mostly agree. But to be fair really good teams will blowout even decent teams. UNC and VA Tech though are not really good teams. Also most teams will have one DoubleUTF game a year, but two is unacceptable.

I think this is fair, depending on what you mean by “peers”. If you mean all other P4 programs as our peers, I’ll respectfully disagree - that’s an unrealistic standard. I’m not going to get upset if we get blown out by solid teams, that’s likely going to happen at least half the time anyway over the long haul. As has been noted repeatedly, we were 10-3 in 2001 with blowout losses to Tennessee and Miami. Getting blown out by a bad Virginia Tech team this year is substantially different than a blowout to FSU - getting embarrassed by the Hokies was unacceptable.

Biggest difference is that it's Wildhack's first rodeo of this kind as AD. We don't know how he'll do things.

Boeheim and Desko were a little more unique. Alums who'd been coaching here since their playing days ended.

I don't think Dino is ready to be "retired" at age 62.

What does anyone expect him to say? The one thing he knows is that now is the cheapest out with only one year remaining on Dino's contract. He can't let him coach next year without an extension or recruiting will die. I suppose it is possible to do some kind of phony face-saving deal with virtually no buyout but that serves little purpose. He knows what he has to do.

1698838379275.jpeg

I think this is fair, depending on what you mean by “peers”. If you mean all other P4 programs as our peers, I’ll respectfully disagree - that’s an unrealistic standard. I’m not going to get upset if we get blown out by solid teams, that’s likely going to happen at least half the time anyway over the long haul. As has been noted repeatedly, we were 10-3 in 2001 with blowout losses to Tennessee and Miami. Getting blown out by a bad Virginia Tech team this year is substantially different than a blowout to FSU - getting embarrassed by the Hokies was unacceptable.

I wish Dino’s typical L was as close as that Tennessee game was. It was still a 2 score game until 6:45 left in the 4th Q. Dino games are over at half.

Biggest difference is that it's Wildhack's first rodeo of this kind as AD. We don't know how he'll do things.

Boeheim and Desko were a little more unique. Alums who'd been coaching here since their playing days ended.

I don't think Dino is ready to be "retired" at age 62.
I think it could be semantics too. If we lose friday night in an another embarassing manner, Wildhack can put out a statement that Dino has agreed to not return in 2024 but will finish the season. I doubt it'll be a ridiculous tarmac sacking like Lane Kiffin. It's not the way we do things. I think JW would go to Dino and figure out an elegant way to let the fans/alumni know we're moving on.

JW shouldn't care about some faux bowl appearance as the barometer. We need to be out there pronto looking for new candidates. We're not alabama and can do this in late December. our feelers need to be out there asap if we're 4-5 on Saturday morning. If anything it provides some national story line for our Yankee Stadium game. JW knows if nothing is said we're really dipping our toes into irrelevancy into a game that should get some pub

JW shouldn't care about some faux bowl appearance as the barometer. We need to be out there pronto looking for new candidates. We're not alabama and can do this in late December. our feelers need to be out there asap if we're 4-5 on Saturday morning. If anything it provides some national story line for our Yankee Stadium game. JW knows if nothing is said we're really dipping our toes into irrelevancy into a game that should get some pub

I don't think he cares about a 6-6 Fenway Bowl. I think he's just saying what he has to right now.

He has to at least wait and see how the BC game goes. Will probably be more than that, but like I said, going to be weird facing those donors in NYC if we lose on Friday night.

I think Dino is coaching for his Job Friday. If we get blown out he is gone. We win he lives for another game. Close loss he keeps him for another week.
Dino has been here for many years, and it's hard to imagine that the AD would apply such a broad range of actions on such short term results.

I wish Dino’s typical L was as close as that Tennessee game was. It was still a 2 score game until 6:45 left in the 4th Q. Dino games are over at half.

It was also played in a heavy rainstorm, and we had something like 120 yds total offense before a garbage time TD drive. I was at the game, the conditions were terrible - and at absolutely no point did it look like we had any chance.

I’ll agree that if we get to play top teams in heavy rain conditions, we’ll probably be able to keep the game “closer” on the scoreboard. But that game against Tennessee was a blowout that we were never remotely competitive in. And as far as I was concerned - it was clearly over at halftime.

My biggest memory of that game is Nunes getting hurt, and his parents sitting right behind me concerned about what happened - and relieved when he came over to tell them he was (at least mostly) ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom