Wildhack Presser 10 AM Monday | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Presser 10 AM Monday

I feel much better now that I actually watched the PC. He answered all the questions head on and actually made a strong argument for keeping Dino; a new HC would want their own staff and thus we would lose our DC. Only thing that annoyed me was he still doesn’t get that Dino is a bad game manager, but other than that I feel like he has his finger on the pulse of what’s going on.
That is why Lewis should be the choice, as AHC, OC, and QB coach could make all the in game decisions. Dino could be the Administrator, which he is good at, as the face of the program.

Ain't just Dino - it's been basically the same trajectory since P. If the last 3 HC all had similar outputs - maybe it's systemic and not HC related?

Dino has the best record in the last 20 years, the best win, and 3 of the top 7 seasons at Syracuse.
Almost like there have been... wait for it... low expectations for some time.

Shafer was never going to be ready.
I have a buddy who played for Narduzzi and Shafer at URI in the mid/late 90s. He spoke effusively of both guys as coaches. Said Scott was a lunatic in a positional coordinator way.

Anyway, you never know with these guys. I always assumed more was going on with Shafer behind the scenes. He seemed to be dealing with personal issues as well especially since he never landed back at a high coordinator gig post Syracuse. For his credentials it struck me as odd

I feel much better now that I actually watched the PC. He answered all the questions head on and actually made a strong argument for keeping Dino; a new HC would want their own staff and thus we would lose our DC. Only thing that annoyed me was he still doesn’t get that Dino is a bad game manager, but other than that I feel like he has his finger on the pulse of what’s going on.
Dino is still the coach, so Wildhack is not going to call him out on this and undermine all Dino’s in game decisions for next year.
He acknowledged it as much as he could by referencing the delays in play calling and communication, things that could be tied to Gilbert.

Dino is still the coach, so Wildhack is not going to call him out on this and undermine all Dino’s in game decisions for next year.
He acknowledged it as much as he could by referencing the delays in play calling and communication, things that could be tied to Gilbert.
He didn’t acknowledge it at all, he essentially said hindsight is 20/20. I sincerely think he truly doesn’t see this as an area that can be improved upon. Believe me, there are diplomatic and non abrasive ways to say that it could be improved upon. He didn’t do that.

Agree. Extend him to 2026 and other coaches will just have a good laugh with recruits.

You announce extensions an an upswing, not after your 5th non-postseason in 6 tries. No one is buying it.

Yeah, that's called "going full Rutgers".

You NEVER go full Rutgers.

I have a buddy who played for Narduzzi and Shafer at URI in the mid/late 90s. He spoke effusively of both guys as coaches. Said Scott was a lunatic in a positional coordinator way.

Anyway, you never know with these guys. I always assumed more was going on with Shafer behind the scenes. He seemed to be dealing with personal issues as well especially since he never landed back at a high coordinator gig post Syracuse. For his credentials it struck me as odd

WUT?

He immediately got the DC gig at Maryland.

Which he then voluntarily resigned from, since he probably had an inkling of the level of dumpster fire the HC and program was, and didn't want any part of it, once he found out how it really was there then.

Just because JW didn’t acknowledge all the issues football has doesn’t mean he doesn’t understand them. He is trying to balance all the performance issues and still allow DB time to correct. Also, they limited the length of the news conference purposely to minimize any misspeaking potential.

He didn’t acknowledge it at all, he essentially said hindsight is 20/20. I sincerely think he truly doesn’t see this as an area that can be improved upon. Believe me, there are diplomatic and non abrasive ways to say that it could be improved upon. He didn’t do that.
Like I said he is not going to publicly undermine Baber’s decision making. That’s part of the heart of what being a head coach entails. He talked about efficiency of making decisions, which is an indirect acknowledgement that there were issues. Anything more was or will be behind closed doors.

He addressed it and he basically said you’re FOS.

WUT?

He immediately got the DC gig at Maryland.

Which he then voluntarily resigned from, since he probably had an inkling of the level of dumpster fire the HC and program was, and didn't want any part of it, once he found out how it really was there then.
I found that to be...odd. Guy worked with Harbough at Stanford/Michigan no?

Something happened w Shafer post Syracuse. That was my whole point.

That’s odd, didn’t even hear my name mentioned.

He did. It was after he finished another topic where he mentioned “lame duck” so and so. Don’t remember it exactly.

It's not a crazy desire though. In the past 20 years Pitt has made 15 bowls (including this year), had 3 losing, non-bowl seasons, and been ranked at some point in the season 12 times. Yeah, they haven't had a pinnacle season (this year could be it) but they've been consistently OK, and won 8+ games ten times.

The SU comparison is awful and depressing: 5 bowls, 14 losing non-bowl seasons, ranked twice, three seasons of 8+ wins.
It's some highlander there can be only one shlt

Hackett majors and walt Harris were good to us

Last edited:
Well as we all knew SU stuck with Dino. Regardless of what JW said in the presser this was in large part based on his buyout.
I thought that JW did an excellent job. He was for the most part honest and laid out his thoughts and expectations for the program clearly.
Im very glad that Gilbert is gone. I never thought that he was a good fit or a good coach. His track record was spotty at best and he reminded me of Cav. Hopefully we get a good OC one who can scheme coach and motivate his players. As to the other two coaches i have no clue as to why they left or if they were good or bad. Hopefully we add a couple of good coaches who can recruit. It looks like JW laid down the law on Special teams so the failed experiment of having different coaches coach different special team elements is over as it was a nightmare and cost us games.
Dinos seat is blazing hot as it should be. The guy is beyond fortunate to be employed. Im not sure who is agent is but Dino needs to get him one heck of a Christmas present as im not sure if there has ever been a higher paid failure in all of college football that has retained their job with one winning season out of 6. This has to be a record.
Going forward i hope that Dino somehow someway discovers the ability to out scheme and out game plan our opponents. Next year he is going to need all of the Ohana he can muster as this years cream puff schedule is replaced by some very good teams.
I hate being the laughing stock of the ACC and pray that next year is different. SU doesnt have to be on an Alabama level but it sure as heck should be on equal footing with the second tier ACC schools.

Well as we all knew SU stuck with Dino. Regardless of what JW said in the presser this was in large part based on his buyout.
I thought that JW did an excellent job. He was for the most part honest and laid out his thoughts and expectations for the program clearly.
Im very glad that Gilbert is gone. I never thought that he was a good fit or a good coach. His track record was spotty at best and he reminded me of Cav. Hopefully we get a good OC one who can scheme coach and motivate his players. As to the other two coaches i have no clue as to why they left or if they were good or bad. Hopefully we add a couple of good coaches who can recruit. It looks like JW laid down the law on Special teams so the failed experiment of having different coaches coach different special team elements is over as it was a nightmare and cost us games.
Dinos seat is blazing hot as it should be. The guy is beyond fortunate to be employed. Im not sure who is agent is but Dino needs to get him one heck of a Christmas present as im not sure if there has ever been a higher paid failure in all of college football that has retained their job with one winning season out of 6. This has to be a record.
Going forward i hope that Dino somehow someway discovers the ability to out scheme and out game plan our opponents. Next year he is going to need all of the Ohana he can muster as this years cream puff schedule is replaced by some very good teams.
I hate being the laughing stock of the ACC and pray that next year is different. SU doesnt have to be on an Alabama level but it sure as heck should be on equal footing with the second tier ACC schools.
We don’t know if it was about the buyout , JW and a few others do, nobody on this board does.

Relying on Dino to out scheme anyone is not exactly the best feeling in the world… faith without evidence right? Plenty of evidence the past six years that his scheme is very poor offensively other than Dungey being able to backpack everything. With that being said, Hopefully a new OC comes in and completely takes over the reigns and they hire someone on gameday to help Dino out with decision making. Glad Gilbert is gone at least. Hoping we hire someone who is able to install a play action based offense even though that is tougher to do from shotgun which is what we are forced to play essentially with our QB

Thanks all for the summaries. Few comments:
  • JW killed this press conference. It was handled with much more candor than ever should have been expected. He also thanked the coaches that were terminated in a very classy way.
  • Those wishing he would have been more critical of Babers need to ask yourselves... what quality Leader would completely undress the incumbent in a public environment, right after reaffirming that DB would return. He was critical without pushing it over the edge.
  • I didn't take issue with JW sticking in a few references to wanting the fanbase and/or alumni to step up and continue making donations to support the program. They just announced a massive fundraising effort and anyone who's raised capital before would have done the same. It didn't come off as a plea for help to me, rather a reminder. The program has taken huge steps forward over the last 5-7 years, but it was several decades behind. They're still playing catchup. It was absolutely reasonable for him to remind people that in order to field a highly competitive program year-in-year-out, people need to write checks.
  • I don't believe he was advocating that White would replace Dino if things don't work out beyond 2022. He clearly said that White wasn't ready yet. It's obvious that Dino and JW had discussed the White hire and were happy with how that worked out for 2021. There were a lot of specifically directed questions about White and he responded in kind with answers. Nothing more.
  • The rest of the assistants not specifically addressed... One thing that I think you all missed was that he mentioned that all of the rest of the coaches were on the road recruiting and that Dino would be joining them soon. You don't send an assistant out to recruit if the intention isn't to retain them. Given the way the transfer portal works, retaining coaches until signing day isn't as much a thing anymore. Doesn't mean they won't leave for more stability.
  • The specific call out to alumni.. It's not really a secret that for some reason alumni haven't been as supportive of driving recruits to Syracuse in the same manner that they do at the Blue Bloods. St. Thomas Aquinas in Fla had a Syracuse alumnus as HC for several years and never sent a 4*+ recruit to SU. Sure, a few 3* recruits, but the creme went to the factories. Heck, even a high level recruit from NYC recently went elsewhere and his parents were SU alumni. I don't believe this is all on the alumni. I do however think this was a strategic plea for alumni to rally and help.
Loved this press conference. JW was poised, unemotional and answered questions with candor, while also not going too far.

I get the feelings on Shafer, but facts are in half the time he has as many bowl wins, and appearances as Dino. And, their winning %’s are pretty similar, Dino’s 10-win season being his saving grace. And btw - that season came with SS’s guys leading the way.

He’s not Greg Robinson, but he’s not Doug Marrone either.

And my understanding is that SS took and kept the Mid Tenn St. job as a lifestyle decision. He had larger opportunities that he wasn’t interested in. He took off the immediate year after to watch Wolf’s senior year at Ithaca.

He wasn’t very self aware in media situations, and really that’s the biggest difference I see now between the two… one can talk real good in front of a camera.

SS was loyal to a fault, his ultimate downfall imo, but he wasn’t given the opportunity to re-set twice. Tim Lester would’ve been rocking and rolling with Dungey over his next three years too. If you ask me, Dino owes Dungey his big payday, as that seems to be the biggest common denominator as we get more data over time.

Last edited:
I get the feelings on Shafer, but facts are in half the time he has as many bowl wins, and appearances as Dino. And, their winning %’s are pretty similar, Dino’s 10-win season being his saving grace. And btw - that season came with SS’s guys leading the way.

He’s not Greg Robinson, but he’s not Doug Marrone either.

And my understanding is that SS took and kept the Mid Tenn St. job as a lifestyle decision. He had larger opportunities that he wasn’t interested in. He took off the immediate year after to watch Wolf’s senior year at Ithaca.

He wasn’t very self aware in media situations, and really that’s the biggest difference I see now between the two… one can talk real good in front of a camera.

SS was loyal to a fault, his ultimate downfall imo, but he wasn’t given the opportunity to re-set twice. Tim Lester would’ve been rocking and rolling with Dungey over his next three years too. If you ask me, Dino owes Dungey his big payday, as that seems to be the biggest common denominator as we get more data over time.
That explains Shafer post Syracuse better. Thanks. I was actually very impressed with Scott as a D coordinator. I enjoyed watching his D. Figured a big program would want that.

I think Shafer's career at SU may have been different if they sneak out that win vs LSU in year 3. They had LSU on the ropes and could have won that. They were 3-0 going into that game too. Had he wins it, we're 4-0 and probably bowl that year.

I doubt he's fired and who knows what happens after that. That LSU was a sliding door of sorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom