Wildhack Presser 10 AM Monday | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Presser 10 AM Monday

I feel much better now that I actually watched the PC. He answered all the questions head on and actually made a strong argument for keeping Dino; a new HC would want their own staff and thus we would lose our DC. Only thing that annoyed me was he still doesn’t get that Dino is a bad game manager, but other than that I feel like he has his finger on the pulse of what’s going on.

Yes, where he= Dino Babers, with 5 out of 6 losing seasons, which isonly acceptable where... wait for it... there are LOW EXPECTATIONS.

Exceptionally low, in fact. Like early Cutcliffe Duke low, and that's about it.
Ain't just Dino - it's been basically the same trajectory since P. If the last 3 HC all had similar outputs - maybe it's systemic and not HC related?

Dino has the best record in the last 20 years, the best win, and 3 of the top 7 seasons at Syracuse.

I feel much better now that I actually watched the PC. He answered all the questions head on and actually made a strong argument for keeping Dino; a new HC would want their own staff and thus we would lose our DC. Only thing that annoyed me was he still doesn’t get that Dino is a bad game manager, but other than that I feel like he has his finger on the pulse of what’s going on.

You don't keep a failing HC because you like the DC.

I like White and I like his system but in ACC play:

Scoring D 30.6 ppg 10th
Total D 5.54 ypp 7th
Rushing D 4.03 ypc 5th
Passing D 146.13 QB rating 10th
TOs forced 4 14th and is 3 behind 13th place. So 13th had nearly twice as many TOs forced.
Redzone TD 57.58% 8th
3rd down D 40% 8th (tie)
Plays 13th so we faced the 2nd least amount of plays in conference.

What from that is worth keeping Dino over?

Clearly JW didn’t like Gilbert

Wants Dino to literally pound the portal

Wants Dino to have a Special teams coach

Tony White will be the next head coach for Syracuse

JW doesn’t want any of the assistants besides White and Schmidt

That’s what I took from this
He only mentioned 3 really good hires.

You don't keep a failing HC because you like the DC.

I like White and I like his system but in ACC play:

Scoring D 30.6 ppg 10th
Total D 5.54 ypp 7th
Rushing D 4.03 ypc 5th
Passing D 146.13 QB rating 10th
TOs forced 4 14th and is 3 behind 13th place. So 13th had nearly twice as many TOs forced.
Redzone TD 57.58% 8th
3rd down D 40% 8th (tie)
Plays 13th so we faced the 2nd least amount of plays in conference.

What from that is worth keeping Dino over?
We had a top ranked defense, you don’t just walk away from that. I’m not saying that I’m glad Dino is still here, I’m not. I do however feel better after hearing his arguments. I also believe him when he says the buyout had nothing to do with it.

You can argue he should be fired. I think Wildhack is buying time and trying to see if the right lieutenants will work w Dino vs firing everyone and praying the next guy has the respect on campus that Dino has.

It's a 230 yard 3 wood from the first cut of rough with water in front. JW is trying to make eagle here and it won't be easy. But I kinda respect him for doing it his way. the payoff could be big if he converts here
or we need to start looking for the drop zone.

Ain't just Dino - it's been basically the same trajectory since P. If the last 3 HC all had similar outputs - maybe it's systemic and not HC related?

Dino has the best record in the last 20 years, the best win, and 3 of the top 7 seasons at Syracuse.
Marrone leaving when he did caused tremendous harm. I had my issues with Marrone, but he clearly salvaged the program from the unfathomable depths of the GumpRob era. We really needed him to stick around another 2-3 seasons to get the program on stable ground. He had changed the trajectory of things, but a bad hire undid that quickly.

My question is then, is Wildhack capable of that task. He has been a poor AD overall in my opinion{lacrosse and Womens Bball fiascos]. He is basically a business administrator with practically no experience in athletics or coaching. Therefore may not be the best at deciding when to make a change or where to go when that change is made. Lack of familiarity may contribute to his maintaing the status quo.
No offense but no one cares about womens bball and we are one of the only schools in the country to care about lacrosse. Wildhacks job is to do a good job with financials and have the two revenue generators in good shape.

Keep in mind he didn't hire either of those coaches (lax and womens hoops), and his hands where evidently tied in the scanlan situation. I'm not wildhack defender but he has brought the athletic department in most respects up to par and it'll be his next moves that determine his success or lack thereof.

We had a top ranked defense, you don’t just walk away from that. I’m not saying that I’m glad Dino is still here, I’m not. I do however feel better after hearing his arguments. I also believe him when he says the buyout had nothing to do with it.
What from those numbers equals "Top ranked"? That is a total fallacy.

What from those numbers equals "Top ranked"? That is a total fallacy.
Exactly. Our passing efficiency defense is 105th out of 130. Not exactly world beaters.

I wonder how much of the defensive “eye test” is based on us slowing down the offense and not giving the ball back in less than a minute, thereby limiting the other teams possessions.

You’re purposely not counting our OOC games, which is 1/3 of our schedule.

I wouldn’t say our defense was topped ranked

We couldn’t get a turn over if we wanted to.

The final three games each team did whatever they wanted to do against our defense.

Besides Roscoe, DL play was absolutely terrible. We were constantly being blown off the ball.

I like what Tony White is doing and I think he was a good hire, but let’s not say we were a top ranked defense…because we certainly were not

I concur. I thought he answered all the questions well and given what he said and the changes they made from last year to now I am hopeful we can move in the right direction….

Oh I don’t think we move forward, I think we stall out and Dino is fired by next season at this time

But at least I have a little hope with a new OC

I still don't understand why an extension would matter. Recruits, and their parents, aren't dumb. Neither are potential new staff. They know (or sure as hell will be told by other coaches) that Dino is on thin ice at SU and needs to win in 2022. An extension means nothing given what JW said this morning, everyone can read the tea leaves that another disappointing year will mean Dino is gone.

We can't trick people into thinking the program is more stable than it is. Because it ain't.

Agree. Extend him to 2026 and other coaches will just have a good laugh with recruits.

You announce extensions an an upswing, not after your 5th non-postseason in 6 tries. No one is buying it.

I will make this easy on the people here. I won't post about Syracuse football any longer. No point in it. I will still support the basketball program.
If you make the same kind of comments on the basketball board you will receive the same kind of responses you do here.

You can argue he should be fired. I think Wildhack is buying time and trying to see if the right lieutenants will work w Dino vs firing everyone and praying the next guy has the respect on campus that Dino has.

It's a 230 yard 3 wood from the first cut of rough with water in front. JW is trying to make eagle here and it won't be easy. But I kinda respect him for doing it his way. the payoff could be big if he converts here
If it pays off, one corollary benefit would be that future prospective coach will believe SU will stand by them when they have a down year.

Agree. Extend him to 2026 and other coaches will just have a good laugh with recruits.

You announce extensions an an upswing, not after your 5th non-postseason in 6 tries. No one is buying it.
If everything rides on only next season then Dino should be his own OC. It isn’t realistic to have a new OC come in and install a completely new O and on top of that fully develop a QB. You are just setting yourself up for failure.

If everything rides on only next season then Dino should be his own OC. It isn’t realistic to have a new OC come in and install a completely new O and on top of that fully develop a QB. You are just setting yourself up for failure.

He has a contract that runs through the 2024 season, correct?

Regardless, it seems pretty obvious that everything rides on him winning 6 games next season. So if a new OC and the transfer portal can save the day, so be it.

If he loses a 7th game in the regular season, he's a lame duck and none of it matters anyway.

If it means he has to be the OC and/or playcaller, so be it.

Marrone leaving when he did caused tremendous harm. I had my issues with Marrone, but he clearly salvaged the program from the unfathomable depths of the GumpRob era. We really needed him to stick around another 2-3 seasons to get the program on stable ground. He had changed the trajectory of things, but a bad hire undid that quickly.
I also think Gross blew it when he hired Shafer instead of Nathaniel Hackett who was an up and coming assistant coach. He also could have hired his father Paul Hackett as an associated head coach.

I also think Gross blew it when he hired Shafer instead of Nathaniel Hackett who was an up and coming assistant coach. He also could have hired his father Paul Hackett as an associated head coach.
that was 10 years, not the coach he is today. Hackett was a dance instructor a few years before he came to Syracuse. He most likely wasn’t ready And why he wasn’t hired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom