Wildhack Presser 10 AM Monday | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Presser 10 AM Monday

That explains Shafer post Syracuse better. Thanks. I was actually very impressed with Scott as a D coordinator. I enjoyed watching his D. Figured a big program would want that.

I think Shafer's career at SU may have been different if they sneak out that win vs LSU in year 3. They had LSU on the ropes and could have won that. They were 3-0 going into that game too. Had he wins it, we're 4-0 and probably bowl that year.

I doubt he's fired and who knows what happens after that. That LSU was a sliding door of sorts.

Coyle could not stand the guy. Flat out.

Anyway, comparing the 6-6 bowl year beating extremely wounded Maryland and NC State squads and getting blown out four times and the 2018 run where it was 2 dubious whistles to 12 wins, don't think that's fair to the current guy.

Anyway, comparing the 6-6 bowl year beating extremely wounded Maryland and NC State squads and getting blown out four times and the 2018 run where it was 2 dubious whistles to 12 wins, don't think that's fair to the current guy.

Clemson won the national championship that year, the 4th down stop or no illegal man downfield and the game is won. It was a great game

Thanks all for the summaries. Few comments:
  • JW killed this press conference. It was handled with much more candor than ever should have been expected. He also thanked the coaches that were terminated in a very classy way.
  • Those wishing he would have been more critical of Babers need to ask yourselves... what quality Leader would completely undress the incumbent in a public environment, right after reaffirming that DB would return. He was critical without pushing it over the edge.
  • I didn't take issue with JW sticking in a few references to wanting the fanbase and/or alumni to step up and continue making donations to support the program. They just announced a massive fundraising effort and anyone who's raised capital before would have done the same. It didn't come off as a plea for help to me, rather a reminder. The program has taken huge steps forward over the last 5-7 years, but it was several decades behind. They're still playing catchup. It was absolutely reasonable for him to remind people that in order to field a highly competitive program year-in-year-out, people need to write checks.
  • I don't believe he was advocating that White would replace Dino if things don't work out beyond 2022. He clearly said that White wasn't ready yet. It's obvious that Dino and JW had discussed the White hire and were happy with how that worked out for 2021. There were a lot of specifically directed questions about White and he responded in kind with answers. Nothing more.
  • The rest of the assistants not specifically addressed... One thing that I think you all missed was that he mentioned that all of the rest of the coaches were on the road recruiting and that Dino would be joining them soon. You don't send an assistant out to recruit if the intention isn't to retain them. Given the way the transfer portal works, retaining coaches until signing day isn't as much a thing anymore. Doesn't mean they won't leave for more stability.
  • The specific call out to alumni.. It's not really a secret that for some reason alumni haven't been as supportive of driving recruits to Syracuse in the same manner that they do at the Blue Bloods. St. Thomas Aquinas in Fla had a Syracuse alumnus as HC for several years and never sent a 4*+ recruit to SU. Sure, a few 3* recruits, but the creme went to the factories. Heck, even a high level recruit from NYC recently went elsewhere and his parents were SU alumni. I don't believe this is all on the alumni. I do however think this was a strategic plea for alumni to rally and help.
Loved this press conference. JW was poised, unemotional and answered questions with candor, while also not going too far.
Well said, especially bullet point #4.

That explains Shafer post Syracuse better. Thanks. I was actually very impressed with Scott as a D coordinator. I enjoyed watching his D. Figured a big program would want that.

I think Shafer's career at SU may have been different if they sneak out that win vs LSU in year 3. They had LSU on the ropes and could have won that. They were 3-0 going into that game too. Had he wins it, we're 4-0 and probably bowl that year.

I doubt he's fired and who knows what happens after that. That LSU was a sliding door of sorts.

FHCSMFS didn’t have a win over a Top 25 team in his HC tenure.

He literally didn’t even have any upset wins, other than maybe vs Minne in the Texas Bowl, if you can even count that.

Just think about all of the smurfs in our defensive backfield getting run over, around, and thru by FSU’s receivers, while their bored starters played hangman on the sidelines.

How many all-ACC players did he have?
How many guys went to the NFL?

Shafer seems to be an excellent person, family man, etc.
And a very good DC.
But he was a terrible HC.

Unfortunately, that's not a sign one way or another. If he's staying, he would be recruiting. If he wasn't staying, he's still under contract for a few more weeks and needs to perform the duties, etc.

The tweet is of him at home visit…wearing Syracuse stuff

It looks like he is staying…..for now

And in all due respect, it showed in how he fired him and his staff like a 12 year old.

I get the feelings on Shafer, but facts are in half the time he has as many bowl wins, and appearances as Dino. And, their winning %’s are pretty similar, Dino’s 10-win season being his saving grace. And btw - that season came with SS’s guys leading the way.

He’s not Greg Robinson, but he’s not Doug Marrone either.

And my understanding is that SS took and kept the Mid Tenn St. job as a lifestyle decision. He had larger opportunities that he wasn’t interested in. He took off the immediate year after to watch Wolf’s senior year at Ithaca.

He wasn’t very self aware in media situations, and really that’s the biggest difference I see now between the two… one can talk real good in front of a camera.

SS was loyal to a fault, his ultimate downfall imo, but he wasn’t given the opportunity to re-set twice. Tim Lester would’ve been rocking and rolling with Dungey over his next three years too. If you ask me, Dino owes Dungey his big payday, as that seems to be the biggest common denominator as we get more data over time.

That's exactly right.

Relying on Dino to out scheme anyone is not exactly the best feeling in the world… faith without evidence right? Plenty of evidence the past six years that his scheme is very poor offensively other than Dungey being able to backpack everything. With that being said, Hopefully a new OC comes in and completely takes over the reigns and they hire someone on gameday to help Dino out with decision making. Glad Gilbert is gone at least. Hoping we hire someone who is able to install a play action based offense even though that is tougher to do from shotgun which is what we are forced to play essentially with our QB
Anyone who thinks Eric did all that by himself deserves ridicule and scorn. That's not how football works. Man up and give the staff credit for the season. It was an all timer and it took a great talent at QB and a lot of other stuff to work at all

The tweet is of him at home visit…wearing Syracuse stuff

It looks like he is staying…..for now
At least he was recruiting for Syracuse while getting paid by Syracuse.

Thanks all for the summaries. Few comments:
  • JW killed this press conference. It was handled with much more candor than ever should have been expected. He also thanked the coaches that were terminated in a very classy way.
  • Those wishing he would have been more critical of Babers need to ask yourselves... what quality Leader would completely undress the incumbent in a public environment, right after reaffirming that DB would return. He was critical without pushing it over the edge.
  • I didn't take issue with JW sticking in a few references to wanting the fanbase and/or alumni to step up and continue making donations to support the program. They just announced a massive fundraising effort and anyone who's raised capital before would have done the same. It didn't come off as a plea for help to me, rather a reminder. The program has taken huge steps forward over the last 5-7 years, but it was several decades behind. They're still playing catchup. It was absolutely reasonable for him to remind people that in order to field a highly competitive program year-in-year-out, people need to write checks.
  • I don't believe he was advocating that White would replace Dino if things don't work out beyond 2022. He clearly said that White wasn't ready yet. It's obvious that Dino and JW had discussed the White hire and were happy with how that worked out for 2021. There were a lot of specifically directed questions about White and he responded in kind with answers. Nothing more.
  • The rest of the assistants not specifically addressed... One thing that I think you all missed was that he mentioned that all of the rest of the coaches were on the road recruiting and that Dino would be joining them soon. You don't send an assistant out to recruit if the intention isn't to retain them. Given the way the transfer portal works, retaining coaches until signing day isn't as much a thing anymore. Doesn't mean they won't leave for more stability.
  • The specific call out to alumni.. It's not really a secret that for some reason alumni haven't been as supportive of driving recruits to Syracuse in the same manner that they do at the Blue Bloods. St. Thomas Aquinas in Fla had a Syracuse alumnus as HC for several years and never sent a 4*+ recruit to SU. Sure, a few 3* recruits, but the creme went to the factories. Heck, even a high level recruit from NYC recently went elsewhere and his parents were SU alumni. I don't believe this is all on the alumni. I do however think this was a strategic plea for alumni to rally and help.
Loved this press conference. JW was poised, unemotional and answered questions with candor, while also not going too far.

You heard the presser the same way I did.

That's exactly right.

100%!

No doubt Dino talks the talk, and has that down just like many of our imposter politicians. As far as walking the walk goes, and the all important results on the field, he has been a significant failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom