Will Hopkins become the 6th ACC or B1G team? | Syracusefan.com

Will Hopkins become the 6th ACC or B1G team?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Their are currently 9 automatic bid conferences this year, and next year there will be 10 when the ACC has 6 teams. The Big East will likely lose its in 2 years when Rutgers, Syracuse, and Notre Dame are gone. Which means only 7 at-large selections this year, and 6 next year. A majority of the at-large selections have come from the ACC, Syracuse, Johns Hopkins over the years.

When the dust settles in 2015 the B1G will have 5 lacrosse teams Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, the ACC 5 will have 5 lacrosse teams Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Notre Dame. You need 6 teams for an automatic bid. With how sparse at-large bids are going to become Johns Hopkins will be the key to determine which league ACC or B1G gets an automatic bid. Hopkins 42 year NCAA tournament run is going to end this year most likely.

If Hopkins wants to play in the more competitive league its obvious the ACC is the better league and geographically they would be closer to all ACC teams and they already play Syracuse yearly. If Hopkins wants the academic affiliation of the CIC they will go the B1G and become the big dogs with Maryland each year, but I am sure they would have to dump some regular games to get Rutgers, Ohio State, Penn State on their schedule annually. I think its important to see is how long Hopkins contract with ESPN is for, as if Hopkins went to the B1G then most of their games would go from ESPN to BTN. If I was Swofford I would lock Hopkins up just to F with Delany even more, and make yourself by far the best lacrosse league and lock Maryland into the inferior league within their own state.

With Louisville adding men's Lax, I would think Hopkins will look west... I have no idea though

There are 8 automatic bids this year, next year there will be 9 and in two years they will be theoretically at 7 because the BE and ACC will drop back to 5 teams. I doubt this will happen, the BE will surely offer someone a partial membership for Lax as they will have 5 programs ie Gtown, St. Johns, Providence, and Marquette. Ditto for the ACC who will have either Lville or perhaps an associate member. I wouldnt hold my breath on JHU joining any conference, the alumni and the school value there independent status. There are allready rumors that the Big 10 is evaluating Lacrosse schools to an extend an invite to for a partial membership to get to 6 as they believe JHU is unlikely.

There are 8 automatic bids this year, next year there will be 9 and in two years they will be theoretically at 7 because the BE and ACC will drop back to 5 teams. I doubt this will happen, the BE will surely offer someone a partial membership for Lax as they will have 5 programs ie Gtown, St. Johns, Providence, and Marquette. Ditto for the ACC who will have either Lville or perhaps an associate member. I wouldnt hold my breath on JHU joining any conference, the alumni and the school value there independent status. There are allready rumors that the Big 10 is evaluating Lacrosse schools to an extend an invite to for a partial membership to get to 6 as they believe JHU is unlikely.
My guess is the BE will at least try to get Loyola - they are already associate members of the BE in women's Lax. I slightly disagree on Hop. My guess is they might go B1G if offered - MUCH easier route to the AQ than in the ACC.

Hopkins is going to join a conference I am pretty sure they will unless the tournament expands in the near future at-large bids won't be as easy as they were even 5 years ago. The B1G is a real player for JHU because of CIC and the fact they and Maryland can own that conference. Hopkins played Michigan this year which isn't a coincidence in my opinion. Hopkins could be had by the ACC as well as the B1G its just which conference will Hopkins prefer Duke, Syracuse, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Virginia or Michigan, Ohio State, Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State.

If I was Swofford I would play the ESPN loyalty angle to Hopkins and hope they prefer playing obvious power teams in the ACC over playing programing building schools in the B1G. Hopkins has a deal with ESPN/ESPNU where almost all their home games are on TV, and unless Hopkins alums want to watch their games on BTN over ESPN then staying out of the B1G and in the ACC could happen.

My guess is the BE will at least try to get Loyola - they are already associate members of the BE in women's Lax. I slightly disagree on Hop. My guess is they might go B1G if offered - MUCH easier route to the AQ than in the ACC.

Loyola is no longer an associate member.

They joined the Patriot League this season.

Where did my post go?

I was just going to ask that.. .Did the caption really say the loyola-ohio state game was being played in Geneva? Damn, I need to move home!

Well, regardless, Loyola women are still in the BE. Maybe next year?
Loyola BE.JPG

I was just going to ask that.. .Did the caption really say the loyola-ohio state game was being played in Geneva? Damn, I need to move home!
Hobart is hosting the ECAC tournament, but they didn't qualify for it.

A 8-5 Hopkins will be in this year
Everything is going to have to break right for Hop to get in. There can't be any conference tournament upset winners, otherwise JHU is watching on ESPNU. They have no Top 5 wins, 1 Top 10 win (MD) and 1 Top 20 win (UVa, who is out). Plus, some of the other teams they will be compared to, they have lost to (Princeton, Loyola, Albany, etc.).

It's going to be tough for them to make the field without some heavy asp-covering and explanation by the committee.

Everything is going to have to break right for Hop to get in. There can't be any conference tournament upset winners, otherwise JHU is watching on ESPNU. They have no Top 5 wins, 1 Top 10 win (MD) and 1 Top 20 win (UVa, who is out). Plus, some of the other teams they will be compared to, they have lost to (Princeton, Loyola, Albany, etc.).

It's going to be tough for them to make the field without some heavy asp-covering and explanation by the committee.

Hopkins is out, they loss to Loyola last Saturday was the final nail in the coffin. They have one game against Army left but the results wont really matter, they dont have the quality wins or RPI to get in.

A 8-5 Hopkins will be in this year

Not this year, not even the Lax gods can save them. Maryland tanking toward the end of the season and there failure to beat Loyola have sunk them.

I think an ACC invite to JHU would hinge on how fast Louisville could get a Men's program off the ground. With Jurich being Jurich, I suspect it won't take long, and the ACC will wait a season (of no auto bid) for them. If they don't expect the Cards to be ready, they go after JHU and then look to groom an 8th program from within the ranks. Perhaps a BC or Ga Tech, or maybe NC State? Va Tech?

Or they steal PSU to make 8. ;)

With Louisville adding men's Lax, I would think Hopkins will look west... I have no idea though
Adding UL helps...The 6 Power teams in the ACC need a conference win. I see UL and somone like NCSt, BC, Clemson/FSU or VTech adding the sport soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom