Will Syracuse and Nike split? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Will Syracuse and Nike split?

Adidas and Under Armour are both in bad places right now. The timing is not good for a windfall deal.
Curious if JW will look to a shorter deal, most likely with Nike as a result of this. I would think UA, Adidas, etc., aren't necessarily going anywhere in the near future. There was some thought, given a certain UA connection, that they could be in play, but that was before these money issues hit. You're correct that it is not a sellers market right now. As a result, I wouldn't think Nike is inclined to up our deal too much, just because. That's why I think others, and I personally believe a move over to Jordan Brand, with the natural alliances we have there (Falk, Melo, etc.) at the very least distinguishes us, and keeps us under the Nike banner. Even if the money turns out to be similar to whats its been.

If we do sign up long term, I would bet it’s a very long term deal 15+ years, and maybe that pushes us into the top 25 apparel deals. Based on where we are now, an additional $1 million gets us there, and that is peanuts compared to those in the top 10.

Last edited:
Curious if JW will look to a shorter deal, most likely with Nike as a result of this. I would think UA, Adidas, etc., aren't necessarily going anywhere in the near future. There was some thought, given a certain UA connection, that they could be in play, but that was before these money issues hit. You're correct that it is not a sellers market right now. As a result, I wouldn't think Nike is inclined to up our deal too much, just because. That's why I think others, and I personally believe a move over to Jordan Brand, with the natural alliances we have there (Falk, Melo, etc.) at the very least distinguishes us, and keeps us under the Nike banner. Even if the money turns out to be similar to whats its been.

If we do sign up long term, I would be its a very long term deal 15+ years, and maybe that pushes us into the top 25 apparel deals. Based on where we are now, an additional $1 million gets us there, and that is peanuts compared to those in the top 10.

I'd love to join Jordan Brand. I'm jealous of all of the team branded shoes and things I see for Marquette and Georgetown let alone everything that Michigan, UNC and Florida get.

I'll tell you another thing that affected Under Armour is that CEO Plank spoke favorably about then-candidate Trump.

That didn't play well with a lot of people (this poster included).

New Balance would be suffering as well.

Under Armour does not create product outside of workout apparel that draws the interest of the market.

I'd love to join Jordan Brand. I'm jealous of all of the team branded shoes and things I see for Marquette and Georgetown let alone everything that Michigan, UNC and Florida get.

You'd think this would be the case as Carmelo Anthony is a Jordan Brand athlete and Jordan himself has family ties to Syracuse. Nike ultimately calls the shots.

I would be fine with that. I think the new Michigan football uniforms are great. Imagine these exact road uniforms for us below, except all orange helmets, and then make the yellow arm/leg stripes orange instead. Clean, crisp, classy. It would be awesome.
0921-jordan-um-p2-away-2.jpg

I think we are going to stick with Nike and that is my preference. I just can't imagine anything else.

I would be fine with that. I think the new Michigan football uniforms are great. Imagine these exact road uniforms for us below, except all orange helmets, and then make the yellow arm/leg stripes orange instead. Clean, crisp, classy. It would be awesome.
View attachment 137498

Some people complain about having the Jordan b-ball logo on football uniforms but it doesn't bother me whatsoever and it absolutely does not bother 17/18 year old recruits.

If we do sign up long term, I would be its a very long term deal 15+ years, and maybe that pushes us into the top 25 apparel deals. Based on where we are now, an additional $1 million gets us there, and that is peanuts compared to those in the top 10.

Nike is not doing a 15-year deal.

Six-to-10 range. There will be a provision for an out based on something that might seem small now.

Our new deal will be considerably higher based on the added exposure of the ACC Network. SU is an International brand that is about to have a significant increase in exposure across all sports. I expect Syracuse to do very well, especially with the Wild one on the stick.

Six-to-10 range. There will be a provision for an out based on something that might seem small now.

Thanks Mad. Do you have any other thoughts/tidbits on this? I appreciated your perspective here in the past. How we looking? When it’s all said and done is it basically gonna look like an extension to what we currently have, numbers wise?

Interesting.

I feel like the 12 and under and maybe the 40-60ish crowds both wear UA heavily casually in addition to pretty much every age group wearing it to exercise in, so I would’ve assumed they’re still doing pretty well.
I got the impression it was more of an issue with growing and expanding a little too aggressively.

I know And1 was acquired by Brown Shoe (now Caleres) at one point. Not sure how many times the brand has been sold since.

If you ever want to go down a weird internet rabbit hole, google brands that were popular a long time ago. I don't know why but I find it kind of fascinating how often they go from the "IT" thing to getting bought out and used as a store brand for Wal Mart, etc. Good examples are Ocean Pacific and Starter.

Intriguing reply.

If you ever want to go down a weird internet rabbit hole, google brands that were popular a long time ago. I don't know why but I find it kind of fascinating how often they go from the "IT" thing to getting bought out and used as a store brand for Wal Mart, etc. Good examples are Ocean Pacific and Starter.
Wow...Ocean Pacific - there’s something that brings back memories!

Even though you obviously strive for logo consistency, I am a little surprised they did not tweak the Jumpman logo to include the silhouette of a football instead of a basketball on the football related products...

SUOrange44

FWIW, Clemson just reupped with Nike recently. It is a $58 million deal over the course of 10 seasons.

The Clemson & Nike Partnership

As of 2016, Syracuse's deal with Nike brought in $3M per year. Prior to their new deal, Clemson made $2.83M. It helps that their football program became elite since then which boosted the dollar amount.

If Syracuse resigns with the Swoosh, I'd expect the numbers to be between $4-5M. Duke, a basketball school, is making $4.25M per year on their deal.

FWIW, Clemson just reupped with Nike recently. It is a $58 million deal over the course of 10 seasons.

The Clemson & Nike Partnership

As of 2016, Syracuse's deal with Nike brought in $3M per year. Prior to their new deal, Clemson made $2.83M. It helps that their football program became elite since then which boosted the dollar amount.

If Syracuse resigns with the Swoosh, I'd expect the numbers to be between $4-5M. Duke, a basketball school, is making $4.25M per year on their deal.

It could/should be North of $5m.

No split while Boeheim breathes

JB may not like it, but it's not his decision to make. Money always talks first and foremost, and if Under Armour (for argument sake) came in and offered something substantially more than Nike, the AD would be hard pressed not to take the winfall and prosperity.

JB may not like it, but it's not his decision to make. Money always talks first and foremost, and if Under Armour (for argument sake) came in and offered something substantially more than Nike, the AD would be hard pressed not to take the winfall and prosperity.

You don't put your brand in the hands of a company that isn't on steady ground.