• Yes. We'll have a full season.

Votes: 18 7.4%
  • No. Moving on to Spring.

Votes: 154 63.6%
  • Yes, But it will be cut short.

Votes: 70 28.9%

• Total voters
Am I reading the above chart wrong ? I assume it’s real
It's not wrong, but I don't think that's the question. That question is the contentious one, that devolves into a political mess.

These are older, but easy to read.
coronavirus covid mortality us by age.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 6.18.52 PM.png

Some will argue it's not killing kids.
Some will argue we can't kill 5%+ of people over 65.

I'm more interested in what's going to happen with football, than having that debate over and over.

Last edited:
The wait should be over shortly it’s gonna come to a head any day now

As an aside, SU seems ill prepared to open in the Fall for classes. Every day students get a new email with new information. Last week they said they require students to show up with proof of a negative test, but say that guidelines for when the test should be taken will be issued later. For example, if my kid test negative tomorrow. SU might come out and say the negative has to be a week before classes start. Some state won’t give tests unless symptomatic, so there is a lot of uncertainty. The clock is ticking and SU is providing vague guidance.

Today’s email said that kids from the states that Coumo requires a 14 day quarantine will have to do just that, at their own expense, unless they are first year or a transfer Students. Out of state parents are livid. Luckily my kid is from MA and is living off campus, so not a big deal for us.

They also want kids to sign a pledge that they won’t leave CNY once on campus until thanksgiving. This seems more than logical and reasonable.

My guess is that SU throws in the towel and goes all online for the fall in the next few weeks.

My guess is that SU throws in the towel and goes all online for the fall in the next few weeks.

Even the experts (not using that sarcastically) release new information all the time as it becomes available.

Throw in the Cuomo NYS ban (not judging), where the states could change any given day, and you can see SU is in a tough spot.

Agree that they will throw in the towel. Then the real cost cutting begins.

All along I"ve suspected Universities will go as long as they can, for financial reasons... Maybe they do just skip returning students...

Conservatively, it seems at least 5% of returning players were, or became positive. I suspect the real # to be much higher. Campus of 20k, at 5% , 1000 sick in a month. Where do they put them? Do they have empty sick dorms? Its difficult to imagine that there is any chance for success.

I'd support leaving the players in a bubble, and letting them play without students.

All along I"ve suspected Universities will go as long as they can, for financial reasons... Maybe they do just skip returning students...

Conservatively, it seems at least 5% of returning players were, or became positive. I suspect the real # to be much higher. Campus of 20k, at 5% , 1000 sick in a month. Where do they put them? Do they have empty sick dorms? Its difficult to imagine that there is any chance for success.

I'd support leaving the players in a bubble, and letting them play without students.

the have reserved the Sheraton for quarantining those that get sick after they get into on campus housing.

the have reserved the Sheraton for quarantining those that get sick after they get into on campus housing.
Wow. That's crazy. Sounds like decent planning, but it also sounds crazy when you rent out a 5? story hotel for sick kids, that you brought back.

With 235 rooms, the Sheraton will hold 1% of the overall student population. Then rent another?

If we accept that 5% of players became sick upon returning(nationally), in a group living situation, Of the 20 million college students in the US., that's 1,000,000 infected in 6 weeks. If we say only 2.5% of players got infected? That rate translates to only 500K sick students in 6 weeks. Worse than any state in the U.S.

I'm not intentionally trying to be negative. Its what the available stats dictate will happen. (60+ schools) Hopefully I'm off on the player positive #'s. If I'm not? It will happen.

Last edited:
I would think spring football would be tough too. Tough to ask student athletes to play 13 games (assuming 10 conference games, conference championship, 2 play off games) between February and May then to start practicing again in July for the fall.
Then play 12 games in the fall and potentially 3 post season games to win a fall championship. A team could potentially play 28 games in 48 weeks... but that’s why they get paid the big bucks, right?

Last edited:
I would think spring football would be tough too. Tough to ask student athletes to play 13 games (assuming 10 conference games, conference championship, 2 play off games) between February and May then to start practicing again in July for the fall.
Then play 12 games in the fall and potentially 3 post season games to win a fall championship. A team could potentially play 28 games in 48 weeks... but that’s why they get paid the big bucks, right?
Yes. Besides players bailing, that's the safety concern. One idea floating around was to have 4 games in spring practice. A home and home, and then 2 OOC. 3 home game revenue for the school.

Spring practice can often have 3 inter squad scrimmages, so player health is addressed in that scenario.

There. Is. No. Plan.

These kids should not have their health put at risk to play football. Especially since they are unpaid. It sucks but why are we potentially sacrificing peoples' lives for football?!

I think most if not all of the kids would choose to play. If they don't want to they can always walk away but I'm around teenagers (in NY) who are working and playing summer lacrosse. If I said to any of them you shouldn't go to practice tonight (or work in the restaurant) because of the virus, 99.9% of them would laugh and go to practice. Guaranteed. There's nearly 4 full HS level teams practicing right now (club ball), and none of them are being forced to pay.

Last edited:
I think most if not all of the kids would choose to play. If they don't want to they can always walk away but I'm around teenagers (in NY) who are working and playing summer lacrosse. If I said to any of them you shouldn't go to practice tonight (or work in the restaurant) because of the virus, 99.9% of them would laugh and go to practice. Guaranteed. There's nearly 4 full HS teams practicing right none of them are being forced to pay.
[/QUOT
Little leaguers are playing to , high school teams are hosting camps to . But the elephant in the room has finally reared its head ... teachers have filed a law suit against the governor for opening schools Putting them at risk . The grocery clerks should file next after hearing about this lol going to be a good time to be a lawyer. On a positive note I saw the nba had no positive test . Cuse has zero at this time with OTA s 2 days away

I think most if not all of the kids would choose to play. If they don't want to they can always walk away but I'm around teenagers (in NY) who are working and playing summer lacrosse. If I said to any of them you shouldn't go to practice tonight (or work in the restaurant) because of the virus, 99.9% of them would laugh and go to practice. Guaranteed. There's nearly 4 full HS teams practicing right none of them are being forced to pay.
Same in my area. The issue is living together. My state more than doubled in daily cases, yesterday. You guessed it- all in group living situations.

Student return is based on $$. Its safe to say 2% of the Nations 20M college students will be positive within 6 weeks. (likely more). It will be the single biggest group/state infected in the country. Then they'll be sent home to their respective states. Kids should be fine, but the overall community will be affected.

Maybe the plan is to let in run through the entire student body?

We, as a society, lack the mental fortitude needed to effectively beat COVID down to the point where it was no longer a threat. (some of us are worse than others, but me too) This has all just been way too inconvenient. Playing lacrosse is fun. Going to the beach is fun. Hugging grammy makes us feel good. None of those things are necessary or helpful with respect to ending the pandemic. Wear a mask?!?
And colleges will do their best "Hold my Beer" and become the largest single spreading group.

Only if you believe the large sample of returning player infection rate will be the same for the student body. OBVIOUSLY what happened at those 60? schools wont happen to them.

With OTAs to start Thursday I bet today or tomorrow the push back 2 weeks

I bet they will announce this week that the season won't start until October or something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom