Will Tyler Lydon be the guy? | Syracusefan.com

Will Tyler Lydon be the guy?

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
To finally flip the momentum of "guy who is questionably ready to leave for the NBA draft?"

Consensus amongst informed members on this board is this is a kid who cared deeply about winning and the success of this team/himself. I'd say we have as good a chance with him staying as anyone. However, I'd like someone to bring up the positives, for him, of staying. He's old for his class, has plenty of in-game experience and unless he has a Justin Jackson like year won't increase his immediate stock.

I really hope he is the one to switch things around for us...but I agree with the above. I feel he is a better player than last year, but I would say that his ceiling has come down. I almost feel he will do more harm than good to his draft stock, should he come back...but am still secretly hoping he returns!!! That is my own Orange selfishness speaking!!!!! Can't hate a kid for getting a paycheck!

He did very little to improve his draft stock this year. Unless a team drafts him on potential alone, my guess is that he tests the waters and then finds out he is an early 2nd round pick. At that poiti think you have to come back and show the skill not just potential. He needs to be the alpha next year and when the ball is in his hands he needs to get to the basket

However, I'd like someone to bring up the positives, for him, of staying. He's old for his class, has plenty of in-game experience and unless he has a Justin Jackson like year won't increase his immediate stock.
Jackson went from a mediocre 3-pt shooter to a very good one and I can't see any area where Lydon has room for that much growth. He's already playing 35+ mpg, a knock-down three point shooter with NBA range, and a near-lock on the free throw line. He could improve his paint play, but without a good PG or offensive game plan, I can't see how he could pick up another 3-6 FG attempts inside the paint to get to where Christmas was his senior year (12 2PA per game).

i have no hope anyone stays anymore we have been burned so many times

Essentially how I feel.

Time to search the Catskills for another Great White Hope.

I would like him to come back but he should def go while his potential is still considered to be above what he is showing. His per 40min show he only averaged 1 point and 1 rebound more then freshman year. Also, given the flux of the entire team and PG situation he is rolling the dice on the team around him. He is never going to be "alpha." That isn't his game. He deferred to other players both years...which became a problem this year when he was expected to become the guy.

Jackson went from a mediocre 3-pt shooter to a very good one and I can't see any area where Lydon has room for that much growth. He's already playing 35+ mpg, a knock-down three point shooter with NBA range, and a near-lock on the free throw line. He could improve his paint play, but without a good PG or offensive game plan, I can't see how he could pick up another 3-6 FG attempts inside the paint to get to where Christmas was his senior year (12 2PA per game).

The only improvement he could make that'd impress scouts is continuing to build strength and a down-low-post resumé. Thing is, I think he's already that good down low. Also, Syracuse isn't going to be the place to showcase that strength. Without Gbinije/Richardson, we don't have players that penetrate well enough or look for him downlow in open space.

Only reason he goes is for the money.

Just don't see any way he ever makes an NBA roster.

He did very little to improve his draft stock this year. Unless a team drafts him on potential alone, my guess is that he tests the waters and then finds out he is an early 2nd round pick. At that poiti think you have to come back and show the skill not just potential. He needs to be the alpha next year and when the ball is in his hands he needs to get to the basket

That's pretty much what the NBA draft is though - drafting on potential alone (or primarily).

He's gone.

I think he'll be fine in the NBA. Disagree with all the people saying he'll go D league immediately.

I think he'll be fine in the NBA. Disagree with all the people saying he'll go D league immediately.

He will almost certainly go D-League immediately, IMO. Doesn't mean he's making the wrong move or that he wont be successful, but I don't currently see a meaningful spot for him on an NBA roster.

He's gone. The only argument for him coming back is the depth of this draft compared to the next which is supposed to be weak. There is a long time until the next draft and you don't know how good some kids are and how good they will be in the coming season. He needs to get stronger and be more aggressive taking shots. I don't know if those two things are possible so the longer he waits the more obvious that will be.

If Malachi comes back this year and tears his hamstring against Wake Forest in the dome like he did in the D League this year do you guys think he gets drafted?

Ask Grayson Allen if he wishes he came out last year. Where is he on this years draft boards?

On the bright side, it's another year that Syracuse University put someone in the first round. That means something to recruits, regardless of how bad the class this year may seem.

If Malachi comes back this year and tears his hamstring against Wake Forest in the dome like he did in the D League this year do you guys think he gets drafted?

Ask Grayson Allen if he wishes he came out last year. Where is he on this years draft boards?

Mali injured his hamstring in the NBA. Scored double digits that game too.

If Lydon goes to the combine and they tell him he'll be drafted 1st round, he leaves. He would be crazy not to. IMO they will tell him its unlikely he goes 1st round and then he returns. Lydon's athleticism and physical metrics are not nearly as strong as Mali. He isn't going to wow them at the combine and move up. His play the last 2 months has regressed. He has not wowed anyone with all his single digit scoring games. It doesn't scream NBA talent. Just my opinion.

If Lydon goes to the combine and they tell him he'll be drafted 1st round, he leaves. He would be crazy not to. IMO they will tell him its unlikely he goes 1st round and then he returns. Lydon's athleticism and physical metrics are not nearly as strong as Mali. He isn't going to wow them at the combine and move up. His play the last 2 months has regressed. He has not wowed anyone with all his single digit scoring games. It doesn't scream NBA talent. Just my opinion.
How do we know what his metrics are? I think last year Lydon was more explosive than Mali. He won't have the wingspan that Jay Bilas loves, but I still think he has been banged up this year and will do better with the metrics than people think. Also with our current offense there is no way I would stay if I can smell guaranteed money.

Any time you get into a private workout with a big man that can light it up from 3 the way he likely will, it tends to impress NBA teams. Add in that he'll probably be the "role player who knows his role" type guy, and I think he's going to come across very well. He's aiming to be taken in the 20-30 range; the teams picking there can all use a stretch 4 and I'm guessing they'll be excited to have a guy that understands his role and won't try to be more than he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom