Willis needs to play more | Syracusefan.com

Willis needs to play more

It’s been 2 games and I think Fran has shown that literally any guy who is remotely ready is going to get run.

He’s also a freshman. Maybe he struggles in pass pro. Maybe he doesn’t see the holes as well as Nixon yet. Maybe the coaches are waiting for him to have a lightbulb moment in practice, who knows.

I’m surprised that Nixon has the 2 role, but having watched him play I don’t think I’ve seen a single mistake yet. Kid gets what’s available every time. Has good hands and fights for extra yards.

By seasons end though the battering ram that is Willis is absolutely going to be used. Let the kid figure it out some before sounding alarms.

You don’t play players just because you’re worried about losing them. You play the players who help you win the games. We’re 2-0 and the offense looks unstoppable, I’ll trust the coaches on this one.
I know that , just give him a few snaps here and there to see

We should play who is ready to help us win. If they aren’t ready, then they need to wait their turn. It’s that simple. And if they choose not to then that’s what the portal is for, for both parties.

Allen’s better than both and the soul of this team.

he is playing. Just not on offense
he also got some big reps in the ohio game in fourth quarter. think they want to use him when defenses are worn down. we just didnt get the opportunity against Ga. Tech. He will get his carries.

There were a lot of two back looks for nixon and allen, which I assumed had a lot more to do with pass protection.

he also got some big reps in the ohio game in fourth quarter. think they want to use him when defenses are worn down. we just didnt get the opportunity against Ga. Tech. He will get his carries.

There were a lot of two back looks for nixon and allen, which I assumed had a lot more to do with pass protection.

another factor beyond “production“ is that your two positions where you have to take care of the ball are quarterback and running back. In a tight game, with a lot on the line, generally speaking, you don’t play freshman in those positions if you have upperclassmen that you have confidence in. And as you said, I expect him to get a lot of carries the next two games.

Agreed. Zero opportunities stands out.

Against Ohio
  • Nixon was 3 for 9 yards
  • Willis was 4 for 11 yards - 2 carries of which were goal line attempts
  • Allen was 15 for 98
Against GT
  • Nixon got 9 opportunities for 38 yards
  • Willis got 0
  • Allen got the same 15 for 83 yards
Weird that Nixon got 300% more rushing opportunities after gaining only 2 more yards than Willis

But Nixon was a huge reason we won, so an interesting problem to have.

Agreed. Zero opportunities stands out.

Against Ohio
  • Nixon was 3 for 9 yards
  • Willis was 4 for 11 yards - 2 carries of which were goal line attempts
  • Allen was 15 for 98
Against GT
  • Nixon got 9 opportunities for 38 yards
  • Willis got 0
  • Allen got the same 15 for 83 yards
Weird that Nixon got 300% more rushing opportunities after gaining only 2 more yards than Willis

But Nixon was a huge reason we won, so an interesting problem to have.
Until otherwise shown Nixon is a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield and Willis as of now is unknown

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom