Winter Workouts begin: Monday 2/8/2021 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Winter Workouts begin: Monday 2/8/2021

Even if TD wins the job which I’m not over confident I do not see him there past the 3rd game. Oline may be improved but they are not going to be Alabama, ND or another top flight OL. After two years I do not feel TD has the skill set for SU to be successful. We need a qb that can scramble for positive yards when things break down and make quick decisions. Not sure which one of the other qbs can accomplish those two things but I’m hoping one rises to the occasion.

Agree on paper. BUT I do think it's also fair that competition brings out the best in the position -- so Tommy will have his work cut out for him, with a highly rated / experienced prospect like Shrader coming in. I don't think DeVito has a lock on the position by any means -- due to the poor feel he's shown during his time here. Shrader played against the likes of LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. -- he's going to be battle tested the minute he sets foot on campus.

Doesn't matter which player wins the job -- performance is all that matters. And if Shrader's presence causes Tommy to elevate his game, that's great for the program. And if he doesn't, then I don't see the coaches hesitating to play Shrader. And even if Devito does kick things up a notch and performs well, Shrader is well positioned to take over and be a multi-year starter.

May the best player win the job.

Even if TD wins the job which I’m not over confident I do not see him there past the 3rd game. Oline may be improved but they are not going to be Alabama, ND or another top flight OL. After two years I do not feel TD has the skill set for SU to be successful. We need a qb that can scramble for positive yards when things break down and make quick decisions. Not sure which one of the other qbs can accomplish those two things but I’m hoping one rises to the occasion.
Ok.

Agree on paper. BUT I do think it's also fair that competition brings out the best in the position -- so Tommy will have his work cut out for him, with a highly rated / experienced prospect like Shrader coming in. I don't think DeVito has a lock on the position by any means -- due to the poor feel he's shown during his time here. Shrader played against the likes of LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. -- he's going to be battle tested the minute he sets foot on campus.

Doesn't matter which player wins the job -- performance is all that matters. And if Shrader's presence causes Tommy to elevate his game, that's great for the program. And if he doesn't, then I don't see the coaches hesitating to play Shrader. And even if Devito does kick things up a notch and performs well, Shrader is well positioned to take over and be a multi-year starter.

May the best player win the job.
Yep, we literally just witnessed this 3 years ago. We had the best Qb arguably in 20 years, and he started to struggle and our capable backup came in and saved our arse... TWICE! Then the next game our Superman QB (EFD) miraculously reappeared, had a game for the ages and finished the season strong.

Regardless of who starts the game or season, they will need to play well because we have seen the coaches willing to replace EVEN DUNGEY if not playing up to standards, when they feel they have a capable backup... which we all believe will be the case, regardless who starts.

Last edited:
Agreed. The more quarterback talent in the room, the better.

Pleased to see us not having walk ons in the #2 spot [with all due respect to Mahoney and Welch]:

1A] Tommy DeVito
1B] Garret Shrader
2] Jacobian Morgan
3A] Justin Lamson
3B] Dillon Markiewicz

I could legitimately see any of them starting at some point throughout their careers* -- due to merit [not just as an emergency stop-gap, for clarification]. Welcome change.

Competition is great for the QB position. Also, we won't get sunk by an injury, where our only option is to break the glass.

* Please note, I'm not suggesting that they all WILL start, or that some might not pan out. Just that I could see any of them [including Markiewicz] developing into a starting caliber guy, with the tools they have.
This is what the QB room at a Power 5 program should ALWAYS look like. I'm not talking about the specific talent here at SU, I mean having 2-3 viable options and 1-2 younger developmental prospects. I also feel you need to bring at least 1 additional QB per cycle every cycle and let open competition determine the depth chart. Players buried on the depth chart will likely ask to change position or transfer. And so it goes.

Most players on the list will never be a starter, baring injuries. The goal is to have talent available while also developing younger guys to eventually compete for QB1.

This is what the QB room at a Power 5 program should ALWAYS look like. I'm not talking about the specific talent here at SU, I mean having 2-3 viable options and 1-2 younger developmental prospects. I also feel you need to bring at least 1 additional QB per cycle every cycle and let open competition determine the depth chart. Players buried on the depth chart will likely ask to change position or transfer. And so it goes.

Most players on the list will never be a starter, baring injuries. The goal is to have talent available while also developing younger guys to eventually compete for QB1.
Yeah, exactly.

We've just gotten used to walk-ons being primary backups on the depth chart.

As if that's normal for P5 programs to have at the single most important position in the game.

It's really bizarre we've had such a hard time having multiple decent scholarship QBs on the roster at the same time. And this is going back a while now.

Predictions on near-future assessments and predictions:

“This team is deeper than any other since 1998.”

“ (OL or DL person) has gained 70 pounds of muscle and broke the weight room record for _______.”

“The WRs each got taller and were catching everything.”

“The OL is really gelling around (insert OL coach) amd seem to really like one another.”

“Tommy has the eye of the tiger, and in fact, is playing “Eye of the Tiger” in the QB room, which is really competitive so far.”

Predictions on near-future assessments and predictions:

“This team is deeper than any other since 1998.”

“ (OL or DL person) has gained 70 pounds of muscle and broke the weight room record for _______.”

“The WRs each got taller and were catching everything.”

“The OL is really gelling around (insert OL coach) amd seem to really like one another.”

“Tommy has the eye of the tiger, and in fact, is playing “Eye of the Tiger” in the QB room, which is really competitive so far.”

A few more:

Five wins in 2019 was the result of a bad luck and an injury riddled team, it can't get any worse in 2020.

This team looks great on paper

So what if the kid's best offer was Slippery Rock, I trust the coaches' evaluation.

And our all time favorite, "with proper dedication..."

I think the core nucleus of 5th year guys coming back is telling. This is a team that wants to get it done.

That being said, it’s pretty simple for me... the offense needs to be better. We need to score more points and keep our defense off the field by sustaining drives.

Our time of possession was 24:17 per game in 2020. That was good for LAST in the country 127th...

Do you know what 126th TOP was? 25:16, almost a full minute better. That’s absurd.

Quite simply, the offense was atrocious. QB needs to be better. OL needs to be better.

Dino Babers, by all measures an offensive coach, needs to live up to his billing. No positions are set in stone, everything’s a competition bc jobs are on the line.

May the best man win, and may we be better at scoring points.

I think the core nucleus of 5th year guys coming back is telling. This is a team that wants to get it done.

That being said, it’s pretty simple for me... the offense needs to be better. We need to score more points and keep our defense off the field by sustaining drives.

Our time of possession was 24:17 per game in 2020. That was good for LAST in the country 127th...

Do you know what 126th TOP was? 25:16, almost a full minute better. That’s absurd.

Quite simply, the offense was atrocious. QB needs to be better. OL needs to be better.

Dino Babers, by all measures an offensive coach, needs to live up to his billing. No positions are set in stone, everything’s a competition bc jobs are on the line.

Yeah, our offense was historically bad.

Problem is, we've had a lot of bad offense, so we're kind of used to it and don't realize how much of a disadvantage we put ourselves in last season.

I believe all the necessary materials are there for the offense to make a big leap forward. We can turn things around.

Problem is, we've had a lot of bad offense, so we're kind of used to it and don't realize how much of a disadvantage we put ourselves in last season.

I believe all the necessary materials are there for the offense to make a big leap forward. We can turn things around.
I agree, I think pieces are in place and I think the Shredder Man (if eligible) makes more of a push than some might think.

A few more:

Five wins in 2019 was the result of a bad luck and an injury riddled team, it can't get any worse in 2020.

This team looks great on paper

So what if the kid's best offer was Slippery Rock, I trust the coaches' evaluation.

And our all time favorite, "with proper dedication..."
Incarnate word

24:17... Wow our defense got their monies worth they were on the field all the time... That is historically bad...

I think a lot of people realized how bad the offense was. The only people that didn't were the ones simply looking at defensive numbers out of context. An average offense gives us a decent season last year.

if the offense shows any pulse whatsoever our defense is good enough for us to win more games than not

Shred is a stud. He will be very difficult to keep off the field. Hes 5 inches and 25 pounds bigger than Tommy. Throws a good ball, runs like deer and is fearless. Kids got game. Hes playing.

I tend to agree. If he is eligible, I believe he starts.

Who saw that coming in 2016?

Funny thing. First game I took my youngest too (then 6 years old) was the 51-41 win over NC State in 2018. He thought that was the norm and under Dino I kind of expected it would be whether we were on the winning or losing side. If we get back to that, win or lose, at least it's entertaining and we potentially could get a plethora of game breakers on offense. We may have found some this class and hopefully the oline allows them and the existing players to put up numbers befitting their skill set.

Our biggest recruit this cycle will be whomever our new oline coach is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom