Winter Workouts begin: Monday 2/8/2021 | Syracusefan.com

Winter Workouts begin: Monday 2/8/2021

Winter workouts. Yippee!
As my mother says whenever my family goes on vacation, "I want pictures."
How else am I going to make it to Sept. 4th SU Football-wise.

Is it safe to assume that anyone participating in WW will be on the team come fall, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to participate?

Winter workouts. Yippee!
As my mother says whenever my family goes on vacation, "I want pictures."
How else am I going to make it to Sept. 4th SU Football-wise.

Is it safe to assume that anyone participating in WW will be on the team come fall, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to participate?

Not necessarily. They might not be in the portal now, but they could opt to leave after the semester / after spring practice.

If we have three legitimate running back behind an improved line (can’t get worse) we are SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous. God I hope the qb position takes a leap

Can't wait to see how the team bounces back next season.

With Shrader in the fold to elevate the QB room in multiple ways, I'm guessing they will.
Curious as to thoughts on do we really think the QB spot is an open competition? I know it should be and all spots should be earned after a one win season but assuming he is cleared, do we think Shrader gets a fair shot at beating out TD?

Curious as to thoughts on do we really think the QB spot is an open competition? I know it should be and all spots should be earned after a one win season but assuming he is cleared, do we think Shrader gets a fair shot at beating out TD?

Absolutely, 100%, emphatically -- yes.

Even if Tommy wins the starting role, which is far from a fait accompli, he'll be on a much shorter leash and will get supplanted if he doesn't produce.

May the best QB win the PT.

Absolutely, 100%, emphatically -- yes.

Even if Tommy wins the starting role, which is far from a fait accompli, he'll be on a much shorter leash and will get supplanted if he doesn't produce.

May the best QB win the PT.
Does shredder have to get a waiver to play this year? Could it possibly be denied like Bleich and he has to sit out?

Assuming Jorts is eligible, I think there will be competition, but I also think DeVito will win the job.

That’s why it’s important that Lamson is on campus.

Agreed. The more quarterback talent in the room, the better.

Pleased to see us not having walk ons in the #2 spot [with all due respect to Mahoney and Welch]:

1A] Tommy DeVito
1B] Garret Shrader
2] Jacobian Morgan
3A] Justin Lamson
3B] Dillon Markiewicz

I could legitimately see any of them starting at some point throughout their careers* -- due to merit [not just as an emergency stop-gap, for clarification]. Welcome change.

Competition is great for the QB position. Also, we won't get sunk by an injury, where our only option is to break the glass.

* Please note, I'm not suggesting that they all WILL start, or that some might not pan out. Just that I could see any of them [including Markiewicz] developing into a starting caliber guy, with the tools they have.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if any other undecideds are at workouts. Gotta think there's still a little more roster movement coming.

RE: QB I think a lot will depend on the O-line. If that group is much improved I see TD keeping the job. If the O-line is only marginally better, I think Shrader's scrambling ability will be the deciding factor to him winning the job.

I hope we only see TD or Shrader lining up at QB next year and the younger guys can just work on developing. Lamson should really help on the scout team for the defense.

Last edited:
Assuming Jorts is eligible, I think there will be competition, but I also think DeVito will win the job.
Even if TD wins the job which I’m not over confident I do not see him there past the 3rd game. Oline may be improved but they are not going to be Alabama, ND or another top flight OL. After two years I do not feel TD has the skill set for SU to be successful. We need a qb that can scramble for positive yards when things break down and make quick decisions. Not sure which one of the other qbs can accomplish those two things but I’m hoping one rises to the occasion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom