Winter Workouts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Winter Workouts

Care taker, care to share how Tommy did in the 40?
4.69 he said he kept tripping the start , there is a start laser and a finish laser , the start laser is tripped with any movement lots af players messed up the starts for instance your hand moved slightly before you burst out it slows your time . I know a particular rb had a slow time due to “ false starts “‘ I know he is much faster than those times . Tommy was disappointed with his false starts . He was very impressed with lots of WR times . Sharod can fly he said . Cam Jordan because of his long strides doesn’t look it but is fast as well
Hard to say how accurate times are , Tommy did clock a 4.61 fastest Qb at elite 11 but unless it’s the NFL clock who knows ?im sure our coaches want to know what our strengths and weakness are speed wise and that’s all that matters here . One week away from action and some answers

Laser timed runs, as long as they're set up the same, should be equivalent.

However, in my opinion, running during off-season workouts and running at the NFL combine (pressure) are not the same.

I'd guess that most don't run as well due the the pressure of the situation, and a few manage to channel the adrenaline and run faster than normal.

Laser timed runs, as long as they're set up the same, should be equivalent.

However, in my opinion, running during off-season workouts and running at the NFL combine (pressure) are not the same.

I'd guess that most don't run as well due the the pressure of the situation, and a few manage to channel the adrenaline and run faster than normal.
Biggest difference is you train for months to get your 40 right for the combine , speed trainers , technique etc our players are going to class and weight training mostly

This is a somewhat lazy post, but we heard all sorts of testimonials about Custis’ speed. We heard 4.4. I think some of us were skeptical. Then we start hearing numbers from “Senior Bowl” type games and next thing we know, he’s invited to the combine. We all felt Slayton was a weight room monster, but again, we didn’t hear too much about his speed. He showed out in the same “All Star” showcases and now he too is invited to the combine. Maybe the outside world is now catching on to what we are building. We will have to wait until April, but I think the staff (through the players) is reporting out saying “hey we told you we are fast” because people are starting to believe it. We aren’t getting the whole team’s numbers, and maybe it’s taken 3 years for the staff to get it to the point where we can and want to flaunt our progress. When people start seeing it may just be true, think what that does for recruitment.

I remember us having some elite speed in the 90’s too. I don’t think Byrd or Jackson made any real on field impact.

Come on guys we should all be greatful we are getting better but these numbers make so logical sense. Carl Jones fastest football player ever!? He should be a first rounder then instead of a backup DB.
Jawar Jordan a yr out of HS before he really gets into any significant organized S&C program is faster than any 22 yr old for the 2018 combine?
Mike Ruff is running a 4.77?
All are probably close but in one year our entire team are breaking records no other team have come close to? Something doesn't smell right.
Jordan ran a 4.3 something at a combine also tested with lasers in h.s.

The whole thing is an exact science down to how many steps in first ten yards to the start if u bunch up at the line or settle back a touch. They are doing this so they have a bench mark to work from and they try to pinpoint their weaknesses to improve them. Edinger and the other lifting coaches know their stuff. I would love to go watch them in the weight room and how the coaches do their jobs. Miss that from my kids years.

And maybe I don't.

Great, I'm not looking to start a fight with anyone. All I did was question to accuracy of the numbers that were posted. I never said anyone was "lying." I don't get why everyone on the board would take it so personal.

I would love to have the fastest/biggest team in the ACC. We're heading in the right direction. LGO

Great, I'm not looking to start a fight with anyone. All I did was question to accuracy of the numbers that were posted. I never said anyone was "lying." I don't get why everyone on the board would take it so personal.

I would love to have the fastest/biggest team in the ACC. We're heading in the right direction. LGO

No one stated that "the team" numbers were "ALL" that fast, just talked about a few of the ones we do have. When you question the accuracy of the numbers that were cited, you imply that the staff is lying to the kids; which would only hurt the staff in the long run. As others have stated, we've had fast guys before, nothing wrong with having nice things. We've recruited better HS athletes, who have come in stronger and faster than the previous classes that were brought in. If we believe the numbers for combines with these kids coming out of HS, would it be out of the realm of possibility that they could improve on those numbers once they got to college? Even having 10 of the fastest players ever doesn't equate to the fastest team in the ACC... Just my 2 cents:noidea:

Regarding the Jones time - the flaw in the logic is comparing it to the NFL combine. I get using the combine as a reference tool - I do it myself at times in posts - but you can't just say Jones ran what would have been the #12 best time, with the implication that he'd be the equivalent of the 12th fastest players. The reason for this is selection bias.

The NFL combine does not test every college football player. A select few are invited, those who exhibit the greatest NFL potential. Obviously, speed is a highly desired trait in the NFL, so it stands to reason that many (most?) of the fastest players from college football get selected to participate in the combine. But not every fast football player is a good football player. Speed can be negated with poor decision making, for instance. There are a whole host of reasons why a fast - even an extremely fast - player isn't a particularly effective player. That player wouldn't get selected for the combine, thus his time wouldn't be logged and is unable to be part of the data set being used to place Jones in context.

It would be different (at least in my eyes) if Jones were a surefire NFL draftpick and a near lock to be selected for the combine. But given that he has struggled to consistently see the field, one cannot make that assumption. Thus, it is entirely possible that he falls into the category of player who is really really fast, but not particularly effective. For that subset of player, it is entirely possible to have a very high 40 time relative to NFL quality players.

One other tidbit - I agree laser time is much more reliable than handtime (which is nearly worthless IMO). But not all tracks are the same. For years in the 90's, I remember Syracuse had the reputation of having a fast track, and some of the 40 times coming out of their pro days were usually taken with a grain of salt (the way say, home runs were taken with a grain of salt out of Coors Field). It is possible Syracuse players test slightly faster at Syracuse than they would at the combine - not because of any chicanery by the coaches, but simply because it is a faster surface than used at the combine.

Regarding the Jones time - the flaw in the logic is comparing it to the NFL combine. I get using the combine as a reference tool - I do it myself at times in posts - but you can't just say Jones ran what would have been the #12 best time, with the implication that he'd be the equivalent of the 12th fastest players. The reason for this is selection bias.

The NFL combine does not test every college football player. A select few are invited, those who exhibit the greatest NFL potential. Obviously, speed is a highly desired trait in the NFL, so it stands to reason that many (most?) of the fastest players from college football get selected to participate in the combine. But not every fast football player is a good football player. Speed can be negated with poor decision making, for instance. There are a whole host of reasons why a fast - even an extremely fast - player isn't a particularly effective player. That player wouldn't get selected for the combine, thus his time wouldn't be logged and is unable to be part of the data set being used to place Jones in context.

It would be different (at least in my eyes) if Jones were a surefire NFL draftpick and a near lock to be selected for the combine. But given that he has struggled to consistently see the field, one cannot make that assumption. Thus, it is entirely possible that he falls into the category of player who is really really fast, but not particularly effective. For that subset of player, it is entirely possible to have a very high 40 time relative to NFL quality players.

One other tidbit - I agree laser time is much more reliable than handtime (which is nearly worthless IMO). But not all tracks are the same. For years in the 90's, I remember Syracuse had the reputation of having a fast track, and some of the 40 times coming out of their pro days were usually taken with a grain of salt (the way say, home runs were taken with a grain of salt out of Coors Field). It is possible Syracuse players test slightly faster at Syracuse than they would at the combine - not because of any chicanery by the coaches, but simply because it is a faster surface than used at the combine.
100% agreed. Speed wise, he's there, we'll have to see if his football acumen translates more than to his 3 years of special teams.

Grass is slowest. Then turf. Then a track. NFL is using a substrate that I believe is to resemble a track. We're turf. In the 90's those Cuse times may have been hand. The whole reason the NFL combine came about, was to make sure times/heights/ability were accurate.

Zybex powerdash system was used. Same as the combine in 2011,2012,2013. It's possible that learning to not false start it, is why the NFL found a different solution. (likely the 2 beam solution that needs 2 beams broken at each line). Jordans 4.37 was lasered/confirmed by Nike, at the opening.

Zaire's pro day #'s don't count for the combine. #1 bench, #5 40, #6 Vert. Combine isn't the end all, but it's a good bench mark for players, should they earn the opportunity to be there.

Also. The kids started tweeting their times. The staff didn't tweet it. Instead they instagramed it, where all the kids have private profiles, and its a little more under the radar. They like everything kept in house, but the kids obviously had a good time with it.

4.69 he said he kept tripping the start , there is a start laser and a finish laser , the start laser is tripped with any movement lots af players messed up the starts for instance your hand moved slightly before you burst out it slows your time . I know a particular rb had a slow time due to “ false starts “‘ I know he is much faster than those times . Tommy was disappointed with his false starts . He was very impressed with lots of WR times . Sharod can fly he said . Cam Jordan because of his long strides doesn’t look it but is fast as well
Hard to say how accurate times are , Tommy did clock a 4.61 fastest Qb at elite 11 but unless it’s the NFL clock who knows ?im sure our coaches want to know what our strengths and weakness are speed wise and that’s all that matters here . One week away from action and some answers
Only 1 QB with under a 4.7 from last combine. Quinton Flowers, signed as an undrafted RB. 38 QB's have clocked under 4.61 in combine history. These numbers are fun, and stuff, but they are a small part of a players skill set. A Michael Vick, a Tyreek Hill? They are a huge part. Depends on the player.

Like the media at the combine, everyone is putting too much importance on the #'s. They're fun, though. Good to know some players are checking off just one of the many important attribute boxes.

Only 1 QB with under a 4.7 from last combine. Quinton Flowers, signed as an undrafted RB. 38 QB's have clocked under 4.61 in combine history. These numbers are fun, and stuff, but they are a small part of a players skill set. A Michael Vick, a Tyreek Hill? They are a huge part. Depends on the player.

Like the media at the combine, everyone is putting too much importance on the #'s. They're fun, though. Good to know some players are checking off just one of the many important attribute boxes.
some players climb way up with good numbers and a good performance in shorts . I don't get that , all the real game film gets under valued and a lot of the times they put to much into these combines part because they want to see it with there own eyes and most coaches have such big egos they think these players just need better coaching and that's where they come in

I think the takeaway is that there's more speed all over the team this yr. I don't recall any numbers like this, and a bunch of them, coming out the last few yrs... on the same track, with the same timing, etc. The team is clearly getting faster. prolly a combination of recruiting and training. Honestly we joked around even last yr that "orange was the new slow". so i see nothing but positives from this.

Jordan ran a 4.3 something at a combine also tested with lasers in h.s.
Jawhar ran a 4.37 at the Nike combine in L.A. He was the 4th fastest back in the country in the 2018 class.

Cam Jordan because of his long strides doesn’t look it but is fast as well
I remember that from Jordan's recruiting tape - very fast and his long strides made it look effortless.

I remember that from Jordan's recruiting tape - very fast and his long strides made it look effortless.
Yes, and breaks ankles and leaves trails of jockstraps and empty arms from Db's and safeties trying to catch him from his instant direction changes. I have been waiting for someone to say something about his speed or show some film on him at practice but haven't seen anything.

Are we talking about both Jordans here? (It started with Cam)

Jawhar, indeed, cutsonadime. Taj Harris's film had him looking like a human joystick, as well, and that translated to the field.

It's great to look forward to seeing all these guys .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom