Class of 2014 - With Ennis declaring for the NBA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 With Ennis declaring for the NBA

One player Creighton has been after for awhile now is Brewster Academy lead guard Devonte Graham. Graham is at the center of a NLI controversy, the gist of which is that the school he originally signed with, Appalachian State, is unwilling to release him. Graham is being chased by a number of high major programs including the Jays. Appalachian State believes a few of the programs currently after him were tampering with his recruitment. It is believed that NC State is a leader for his services if he gets his release, but watch out for the both Creighton and Providence to make a late push should Graham hit the open market.
So, if he does get released...he still couldn't play next year?

I remember when I watched the McCullough highlight videos, Graham definitely stood out to me. He looked like a hell of a player.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 36m
Here's a good 5th-year transfer to add to market: IUPUI's Ian Chiles told ESPN he will leave. Averaged 15.8 ppg last season. Eligible ASAP.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56540/ian-chiles

Serious question Francis, of Hop leaves and takes Autry with him, how screwed are we? Seems we probably end up losing out on Diagne and Bryant... Maybe Franklin Howard too? With Hop out interviewing, who's recruiting these potential 5th year guys. Seems to me JB has been quite hands off recruiting till the final pitch is made... Am I wrong?

I kind of doubt SU will go after another player at this late date but I hope I'm wrong. This kid looks legit but we have 3 returning guards and one incoming that will probably start. That is a nice guard rotation already.

Serious question Francis, of Hop leaves and takes Autry with him, how screwed are we? Seems we probably end up losing out on Diagne and Bryant... Maybe Franklin Howard too? With Hop out interviewing, who's recruiting these potential 5th year guys. Seems to me JB has been quite hands off recruiting till the final pitch is made... Am I wrong?
Wrote about if we would lose Hop in the following post http://syracusefan.com/threads/thomas-bryant.30550/page-9#post-1005914

I can't see Hop leaving now for a job like BC, unless he felt that JB would coach until he was 100. Hop and Red are the main recruiters for the prospects that you mentioned. So yes it would be a huge loss and set us back if they weren't around to close the deal on those players. Who knows if we are recruiting any 5th years or looking to add anybody for next season. I'm just going to list names of players that I think would be worthwhile to look it. The staff may feel that the current players are good enough with the proper improvement to get the job done next season.

I kind of doubt SU will go after another player at this late date but I hope I'm wrong. This kid looks legit but we have 3 returning guards and one incoming that will probably start. That is a nice guard rotation already.
We have guards but only have one that's going to be a freshman next season that you can hopefully trust to consistently make something happen with the ball in his hands. I don't think it's fair to put a huge burden on another freshman PG again and expect to get the same results as we saw with Ennis every season. Never liked the Silent G experiment at point and you could see how much better and comfortable he looks playing off the ball. We know Cooney isn't an option and I doubt that Buss will be capable to handle PG duties as well. So I think it's really important to find another ball handler to share the duties with Joseph next season.

Scoring point guard. We could use a guy like this:
Looks to have the offensive qualities that we can use at the guard position for next season. Can shoot it with range and has skills off the bounce to make things happen in the lane.

Devonte Graham is probably the best PG available from Brewster Academy, but he has a complicated situation going on. He signed with App St first but then asked for his released. App St refused because they thought schools like NC St tampered. So basically if he signs with another school then he can't play for them next year. The App St coach was recently fired, so there is a good chance that Graham will eventually get his release and play for somebody next season. If that happens then I would hope that SU will show some interest.
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 17m
Kansas, Creighton, Providence, Ga. Tech all went to Brewster Academy to watch senior PG Devonte Graham. Still not released by App State.

We have guards but only have one that's going to be a freshman next season that you can hopefully trust to consistently make something happen with the ball in his hands. I don't think it's fair to put a huge burden on another freshman PG again and expect to get the same results as we saw with Ennis every season. Never liked the Silent G experiment at point and you could see how much better and comfortable he looks playing off the ball. We know Cooney isn't an option and I doubt that Buss will be capable to handle PG duties as well. So I think it's really important to find another ball handler to share the duties with Joseph next season.

I sure hope the staff feels this way too. We can't have another season of an incoming young PG getting worn down and only one player on the roster (guard especially) who can consistently create off the bounce for themselves or others. I think this was a big factor in the end of season slide as opposing teams took advantage of these issues.

Not sure we need two freshman point guards. We will already have 4 guards on the roster next year. Bringing in two freshman point guards might impact other point guard recruits in the junior class...

Not sure we need two freshman point guards. We will already have 4 guards on the roster next year. Bringing in two freshman point guards might impact other point guard recruits in the junior class...
Don't have to bring in a freshman point guard. Should be some serviceable 5th year transfer and JUCO that will be available.

With what happened this year, I'd be more than inclined to bring in as many players as possible. If there are scholarships available, there's no good reason not to, I'd imagine. What's the worst that can happen? You have four guards all doing fantastic and demanding as many minutes as possible?

I don't like G at the point, it's not his cup of tea - he'd be great as the tweener off the bench that can get 20-25 minutes at SG and SF. That leaves Kaleb, Buss, and Cooney. Two can't dribble the ball (supposedly, I haven't seen enough of Patterson's handle). I don't think there's anything wrong with a 4 guard rotation with 80 minutes. Some guys will have to wait their turn or win the job outright, but the opportunities exist. No one is going into summer practice with a guaranteed job.

With what happened this year, I'd be more than inclined to bring in as many players as possible. If there are scholarships available, there's no good reason not to, I'd imagine. What's the worst that can happen? You have four guards all doing fantastic and demanding as many minutes as possible?

I don't like G at the point, it's not his cup of tea - he'd be great as the tweener off the bench that can get 20-25 minutes at SG and SF. That leaves Kaleb, Buss, and Cooney. Two can't dribble the ball (supposedly, I haven't seen enough of Patterson's handle). I don't think there's anything wrong with a 4 guard rotation with 80 minutes. Some guys will have to wait their turn or win the job outright, but the opportunities exist. No one is going into summer practice with a guaranteed job.

You're right about bringing kids in, however, you have to be careful. If you have a chance at a big time talent say in '16, like Tyus Battle, and you then bring in a few kids this year who will be on the depth chart and developing, despite the lack of playing time available (which elite talent shouldn't worry about) team chemistry can suffer if a popular and hard working upper class man is pushed out. Obviously these are obscure situations, but still part of the ebb and flow of building a team that can compete and flourish, as well as planning effectively for the future. I'm all for bringing in a 5th year kid who can add experience, strength, and competition to the 2014-15 team.

You're right about bringing kids in, however, you have to be careful. If you have a chance at a big time talent say in '16, like Tyus Battle, and you then bring in a few kids this year who will be on the depth chart and developing, despite the lack of playing time available (which elite talent shouldn't worry about) team chemistry can suffer if a popular and hard working upper class man is pushed out. Obviously these are obscure situations, but still part of the ebb and flow of building a team that can compete and flourish, as well as planning effectively for the future. I'm all for bringing in a 5th year kid who can add experience, strength, and competition to the 2014-15 team.
A JUCO would be gone by the time Battle arrives.

A JUCO would be gone by the time Battle arrives.

But that could impact Franklin Howard. Hey I'm all for bringing someone in for next year, year after... I don't care. I like competition.

But that could impact Franklin Howard. Hey I'm all for bringing someone in for next year, year after... I don't care. I like competition.
Meh. Frankie can ball. One more person for one more year won't scare Frankie.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51309/matt-carlino
Matt Carlino from BYU, is another 5th year guard who announced his intentions to transfer today. I'll leave it up to Tee and others to post up some footage of him. Averaged 14ppg and 4apg this past season.
Will try to dig up something tonight. Let's land one of these guys!
GNY14.png

Video starts up with Carlino being the next in line after Jimmer left. He committed to Indiana, ended up at UCLA instead and subsequently transferred to BYU. Long story ;) But he's elligible immediately, can pass, can score. Could use a guy like this with enough to have seen it all to show Kaleb a little something along the way. Missing piece. Meet Puzzle.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom