Class of 2014 - With Ennis declaring for the NBA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 With Ennis declaring for the NBA

Averaged 4.3 assists or better each of the past three years, and 13.7 ppg this season. Lefty with a confident stroke. Pretty impressive, but he's stayed west of Indiana these past three years. Do we have a chance at this guy? Good fit considering our shooting/scoring needs.

Kid has a little gmac in his game. Would be what seems the perect fit.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 30m
BYU transfer Matt Carlino told ESPN he has heard from Oklahoma State, Purdue, UCLA, Pittsburgh and Memphis thus far. Eligible next year.

BYU transfer Matt Carlino told ESPN he has heard from Oklahoma State, Purdue, UCLA, Pittsburgh and Memphis thus far. Eligible next year.
He'll be the 4th guard off the bench scoring 7.5 ppg in limited duty, but against the zone he'll hit 6/8 from from 32 ft and score 28 points while fouling out Rak with 5 minutes to go.

/justhowitgoes

JB:
hqdefault.jpg

I know its unpopular to criticize JB but the eye test and the numbers clearly showed our lack of depth and overall effectiveness at guard. I hope Buss mike g and cooney shut all of us up but man I dont see how the need for a 5th yr guy who can shoot and handle isnt obvious. Again love the guy and he has proven to be a great but this seems like a big mistake.

I know its unpopular to criticize JB but the eye test and the numbers clearly showed our lack of depth and overall effectiveness at guard. I hope Buss mike g and cooney shut all of us up but man I dont see how the need for a 5th yr guy who can shoot and handle isnt obvious. Again love the guy and he has proven to be a great but this seems like a big mistake.

I'll agree with that, if Buss / Gbinije / BJ don't take the next step and shore up the deficiency we saw in this year's backcourt, and if Cooney improves like I expect him to. If those things happen, then we'll have a four player backcourt rotation instead of 3, with more guys capable of scoring.

Please note, I'm not saying that any of them have to be world beaters. But I expect all four to improve [especially the frosh] and be part of the rotation. Kris Joseph went from not being able to get off the bench as a frosh to being rated as the top sixth man his sophomore year. I'm not saying that this year's frosh are going to average double figures or anything, just that they'll be capable of contributing as bench guys. And that both juniors entered this season reasonably inexperienced, but that won't be the case next year. So long as Kaleb Joseph can nail down the point, I think everything else will fall into place.

I'll agree with that, if Buss / Gbinije / BJ don't take the next step and shore up the deficiency we saw in this year's backcourt, and if Cooney improves like I expect him to. If those things happen, then we'll have a four player backcourt rotation instead of 3, with more guys capable of scoring.

Please note, I'm not saying that any of them have to be world beaters. But I expect all four to improve [especially the frosh] and be part of the rotation. Kris Joseph went from not being able to get off the bench as a frosh to being rated as the top sixth man his sophomore year. I'm not saying that this year's frosh are going to average double figures or anything, just that they'll be capable of contributing as bench guys. And that both juniors entered this season reasonably inexperienced, but that won't be the case next year. So long as Kaleb Joseph can nail down the point, I think everything else will fall into place.

That all seems reasonable, RF, especially the hope that the freshmen take the next step. Even then, the larger issue remains that Joseph will be the only true PG on next year's roster. Playing with fire.

That all seems reasonable, RF, especially the hope that the freshmen take the next step. Even then, the larger issue remains that Joseph will be the only true PG on next year's roster. Playing with fire.

Well, that's where JB not figuring on Ennis going pro factors in. Picture an experienced Ennis returning, with a talented Joseph spelling him / learning the ropes, running alongside a now veteran returning starter in Cooney at 2 with Gbinije / Buss / BJ playing SF / 2G. That's a completely different depth situation than what we had this year in the backcourt.

Only problem was, Ennis didn't come back for his sophomore season. I am 99.9999% sure that neither JB nor anyone on the staff considered Ennis a one-and-done.

JB:
hqdefault.jpg
Yeah, I know Carlino drove BYU fans nuts, but geez, he could help us. Would add shooting, ball handling, and playmaking ability - let's not kid ourselves, we can benefit from an infusion of all of that.

I really hope so. I also hope Joseph doesnt have to have a super high usage rate and be the only guy attacking every possession. It really hurt that ennis was on the ball for every offensive possession and the offense always ran through him. Thats where a guy like carlino who is not shy attacking off the bounce or getting up some shots seems like he would help. Agree that no one could have theorized we would be without ennis this upcoming season. Now its about having faith in the youngsters. In canada BJ showed a little handle. If he could be the guy who makes the biggest jump of the frosh I think with his shooting stroke it would be the best case scenario. Not that I want the others to fail as they need to improve as well but BJ is the closest thing to a true scorer of the soph class next yr.

why all the discussion on this kid from byu? Unless I've missed something, SU appears to have no interest.

why all the discussion on this kid from byu? Unless I've missed something, SU appears to have no interest.
They should, that's the discussion. As others have stated, JB is playing with fire once again relying on another freshman to be the only main ball handler for next season.

They should, that's the discussion. As others have stated, JB is playing with fire once again relying on another freshman to be the only main ball handler for next season.

A guy going someplace for one year is going to want to play at least 25 minutes per game in his last year. If you are a transfer you aren't going to want to come to Syracuse and compete with a highly touted freshman and 3 other guards who have been in the system at least a year. Other schools, some with new coaches probably could offer him guaranteed playing time while we won't.

I really think JB wants Gbinije to play around 25 minutes a game next year off the bench in both guard spots and possibly some time at forward. They probably like his height in the backcourt and think he might be able to be somewhat of a poor mans mcw. JB likes defense, and Gbinije brings that to the table. If he works on his shot and can become a better threat, it should give him more opportunities to get in the lane. I think the staff really likes his potential.

Yeah, I know Carlino drove BYU fans nuts, but geez, he could help us. Would add shooting, ball handling, and playmaking ability - let's not kid ourselves, we can benefit from an infusion of all of that.
So then we agree!

A guy going someplace for one year is going to want to play at least 25 minutes per game in his last year. If you are a transfer you aren't going to want to come to Syracuse and compete with a highly touted freshman and 3 other guards who have been in the system at least a year. Other schools, some with new coaches probably could offer him guaranteed playing time while we won't.

I really think JB wants Gbinije to play around 25 minutes a game next year off the bench in both guard spots and possibly some time at forward. They probably like his height in the backcourt and think he might be able to be somewhat of a poor mans mcw. JB likes defense, and Gbinije brings that to the table. If he works on his shot and can become a better threat, it should give him more opportunities to get in the lane. I think the staff really likes his potential.
I'm a Silent G fan, but if JB is planning to have him as the main backup at PG once again then it'll be a long long season.

Well said.

I can't help but think that maybe we shouldn't have played hardball with Rysheed Jordan.

I'm a Silent G fan, but if JB is planning to have him as the main backup at PG once again then it'll be a long long season.

Exactly!

As others have pointed out, the staff likely did not have a contingency plan for Ennis going NBA. But now...the reality is there are 2 open scholarships for next year. Find a freakin PG. JUCO, 5th year transfer, under recruited 3 star, whatever. Find one.

I think the contingency plan was Kaleb Joseph. Once I saw that SU recruited a top-flight PG, I figured Ennis was pretty much gone. People might say I'm crazy, but I've felt that way since the day Joseph committed.

The problem is that they couldn't get any minutes out of their bench this season. Things happen, who knows, Buss could blow up and be 6th man of the year next season. But I'm just in the what-would-it-hurt camp to bring in a kid that could play and take up 10-15 minutes (or more if a injury occurred - or two like when Devo and Rautins both went down). If you've got room, it's cheap insurance. Granted it depends on the kid, I don't know how many would want to come in knowing that they probably won't start if they could get a starting job somewhere else.

Well, that's where JB not figuring on Ennis going pro factors in. Picture an experienced Ennis returning, with a talented Joseph spelling him / learning the ropes, running alongside a now veteran returning starter in Cooney at 2 with Gbinije / Buss / BJ playing SF / 2G. That's a completely different depth situation than what we had this year in the backcourt.

Only problem was, Ennis didn't come back for his sophomore season. I am 99.9999% sure that neither JB nor anyone on the staff considered Ennis a one-and-done.

Right. Obviously JB and the staff didn't plan on the Ennis scenario. Next season would've been a fantastic PG combo of Joseph as Ennis' apprentice. The only thing that remotely makes sense is that JB expects all of these guards to improve considerably. It is "playing with fire" as Francis says. It's one thing to simply bring the ball up the court to spell Joseph. It's another thing to be able to get the team into some sort of rhythm or not allow the offense to get totally dicombobulated vs some pressure D. Then there is the whole injury potential as everybody has pointed out. I sure hope this plan works. If not then it would be some very poor roster handling and guard development. Intolerable, really.

A true combo guard would be nice. I guess you could put Gbinije in that camp but don't think that Cooney or Patterson have that skill set. Fans are maybe more concerned about this than the staff. They may see things in one of the returning guards, like Gbinije, that with an off season of work, could be an adequate backup or even starter with Joseph coming off the bench. I think that it is not a stretch to say that the overall guard situation will be deeper than this past season. If Patterson, Cooney, Gbinije, and even BJ Johnson aren't significantly improved, we are in trouble anyway. If we get lucky and Joseph becomes the player we are hoping, it will be huge for this team. My biggest concern with Joseph are turnovers. He appears to be a more dynamic player than Ennis but probably more turn over prone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom